HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:56 PM
Joined Jul 2007
18 Posts
Discussion
Bob Martin SR-7 or Coyote

Are there any kits being made today that look like either of these planes. I like the look of the low wing with dihedriel and swept wing. Any info is appreciated.
tim engel is offline Find More Posts by tim engel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:31 PM
DLD
David Layne
Tracy, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
665 Posts
Check out the Jart,http://www.jartworld.com/jartworld_pgs/jartworld.html, it should tinkle your bell.

DLD
DLD is offline Find More Posts by DLD
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:23 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Unfortunately, these "pure" slopers of the 70's-80's have come and gone; kits like these are very rare nowadays and normally are produced on a very limited basis. If you are interested in these great vintage slopers, there is a thread in the Slope Soaring forum dedicated to vintage slope planes:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466486

There you will find the knowledge and resources associated with this niche category.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
Louisville,ky
Joined Nov 2007
4 Posts
SR7 Sailplane N.I.B.

Anyone interested in a Bob Martain SR7 ? I got it thinking I would have a sailplane to pull up with my Rascal but it looks like it will be too small for that. It is brand new in the box. Email me if interested.
Thanks
Doug
zgconcours@insightbb.com
Mcgyver52 is offline Find More Posts by Mcgyver52
Old May 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgyver52 View Post
Anyone interested in a Bob Martain SR7 ? I got it thinking I would have a sailplane to pull up with my Rascal but it looks like it will be too small for that. It is brand new in the box. Email me if interested.
Thanks
Doug
zgconcours@insightbb.com
Post it in the classified section...you'll probably get a lot of hits on that.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old May 05, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
360 Posts
Coyotes are dogs to fly, SR7s are fun. I've had both.
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old May 06, 2012, 01:08 PM
Fairview, California
Joined Jun 2003
363 Posts
Compared to what?

Compared to 25 years ago Coyotes weren't DOGS.
Rich Speroni is offline Find More Posts by Rich Speroni
Old May 06, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
360 Posts
Compared to the SR7 he's looking at. It's like comparing an aileron trainer and a Corvette. I was flying 25 years ago and then some...

I still have a Coyote, I think they look great, but it's still a dog. I have dreams of some day having time to build a new wing with a better airfoil and big ailerons. I should just sell it....
Shawn in NorCal is offline Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old May 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
840 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Coyote as a sloper, but it is slower than many of the newer designs for sure most likely due to the thicker wing section. It's pretty rugged and a great windy weather plane as it handles well in those conditions. The airfoil is an Eppler 374 or very close to it making it aerobatic but it definitely doesn't fly inverted as well as it does upright, you have to keep the speed up while up side down to maintain adequate control. I did modify mine by reducing the span by about 6 inches so it would fit in the cab of my truck and it didn't hurt the handling a bit.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
bob martin planes

i had all 3 planes all flew well use to fly with bob and katie on ave 33 mount washington in la ca
wish i still had one.
jmdairplane is offline Find More Posts by jmdairplane
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Feb 2006
954 Posts
Y'all going on about Bob Martin sailplanes brings back memories of my Bob Martin "Pussycat". I flew it on the slope, in the lightest of winds it just kept flying and flying, in the faster winds it rushed around and did elementary aerobatics and still landed on a dime; in a howling gale, with up to 6 extra AA batteries stuffed in the fuselage (no-one even used the work "ballast" back then), or even the odd stone or two, it shrieked across the slope.

On the flat, it towed up a dream on a hand-line, ditto with a high-start and even spent hours and hours thermalling, after a 60-second run of a COX .049, on a pylon, rubber-banded onto the wing.

It was perfect. Then, one day a friend of my son appeared on the slope with a beautifully built, Italian, "full-house", low-wing sailplane , with which he thought he was going to learn to fly. It seemed a tragedy to me and, as he refused to try and learn with my "Pussycat", which virtually flew itself, I finally ended up swapping the PC for his Italian job!

He decided his 27 mhz. radio was better than my 35 mhz and that the PC nose was too blunt and set about giving it a pointed nose and fit a, very dicey, 27 mhz. receiver. Not only was it "dicey", but the local taxi radios ran on 27 mhz. and many of them had "boosters", to boot.

I imagine you can imagine the end of my pride and joy. Its first re-maiden lasted all of three seconds, as, on top of everything else, he decided that a very craggy hill, with wicked turbulence and a howling gale, was the ideal place to start learning to fly.....

The "Italian" job did not last much longer. I thought it a little unwise to try and trim it at the slope and did so on the flat. Not too bad, so we decided to give it a "hand-tow" (I think i've told this one before), son and heir goes charging off across the field like Usain Bolt, straight into stiff breeze...4? seconds, I reckon, before the wings applauded. RIP

What memories.
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots