HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:50 AM
Registered User
itspat's Avatar
las vegas. nv
Joined Aug 2005
148 Posts
I started the build last night. Swapped the servos out with HS55's and removed the ESC. Waiting on the replacement. I would not recommend using the glue that came with the kit. What a mess. Get some nice 15 minute epoxy. I learned the hard way. Anyone know of a close matching blue paint for touch up. While removing the tape for the servo wires, some of the paint came off as well. Hopefully, new ESC will arrive this week and I will get to maiden her this weekend.
itspat is offline Find More Posts by itspat
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:20 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
99reddragon,

The only way to reduce sensitivity is to move to a hole further inward, as the sensitivity on the stock radio isn't adjustable. Most new computer radios have exponential which you can use to 'soften the sticks' in the middle. I really like exponential, although my old school buddies call it 'cheating'

Ronnie
Ronnie,

Did you use expo? If so, how much? Which radio did you use for your review? What were your settings?

Thanks for your review,

ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:34 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
dawnron1's Avatar
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.A.C.
Ronnie,

Did you use expo? If so, how much? Which radio did you use for your review? What were your settings?

Thanks for your review,

ATAC
Hi ATAC,

I used about 35% negative expo on ailerons and elevator. The radio I use is a Spektrum DX7 with an AR6100 receiver(Hobby Lobby sells both, BTW) with dual rates on ailerons/elevator, roughly 70%/110%.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 02:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
I am thinking of trying to glass this plane, however Im not sure what is the best method or material to use, I cant find a good glassing article can someone help me out, or do you all think this is over kill for this plane?
99reddragon is offline Find More Posts by 99reddragon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 02:52 PM
X-15 Jockey
burkefj's Avatar
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I think glassing is only needed if you want to protect the belly for a belly lander, it seems plenty sturdy even with upgraded motors, I've never had any issue with the nose cone, but that is the flimsiest part, fill with expanding foam if you are worried about it.

I also don't use any expo, just as much throw as I can get, but I've never been one who has had an issue with excessive throws, I seem to be able to damp out my thumb movements pretty quickly whatever they are.


Frank


Quote:
Originally Posted by 99reddragon
I am thinking of trying to glass this plane, however Im not sure what is the best method or material to use, I cant find a good glassing article can someone help me out, or do you all think this is over kill for this plane?
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-101B Voodoo with video
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
I think glassing is only needed if you want to protect the belly for a belly lander, it seems plenty sturdy even with upgraded motors, I've never had any issue with the nose cone, but that is the flimsiest part, fill with expanding foam if you are worried about it.

I also don't use any expo, just as much throw as I can get, but I've never been one who has had an issue with excessive throws, I seem to be able to damp out my thumb movements pretty quickly whatever they are.


Frank
just simply replace that flimsy stock nose cone with
this $9 Het F-18 nose cone and very happy with the new better look
blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:07 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
So in your opinion would glassing the wings, and the fuse be a waste of time and too much weight?
99reddragon is offline Find More Posts by 99reddragon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
I think glassing is only needed if you want to protect the belly for a belly lander, it seems plenty sturdy even with upgraded motors, I've never had any issue with the nose cone, but that is the flimsiest part, fill with expanding foam if you are worried about it.

I also don't use any expo, just as much throw as I can get, but I've never been one who has had an issue with excessive throws, I seem to be able to damp out my thumb movements pretty quickly whatever they are.


Frank
Well I kinda went from a very novice flyer training on a SC and jumped into the ducted fan market, I think I went over my head initially as I have crashed mine twice, the last crash I think did the plane in. I want to glass my new one in hopes of making it more crash resistant.
99reddragon is offline Find More Posts by 99reddragon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99reddragon
So in your opinion would glassing the wings, and the fuse be a waste of time and too much weight?
this HL F-18 is a very very rugged, tough Jet
just make sure the glue at the joins strong enough, also get
a better nose and then do not go full speed vertically straight down;
otherwise you will have tough time to dig
the Jet out of the hole on the ground
blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:51 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueplane
this HL F-18 is a very very rugged, tough Jet
just make sure the glue at the joins strong enough, also get
a better nose and then do not go full speed vertically straight down;
otherwise you will have tough time to dig
the Jet out of the hole on the ground
Yes I have found that the ground and the nose cone dont mix well at all LOL...
99reddragon is offline Find More Posts by 99reddragon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 06:43 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
snoshoe62's Avatar
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99reddragon
I am thinking of trying to glass this plane, however Im not sure what is the best method or material to use, I cant find a good glassing article can someone help me out, or do you all think this is over kill for this plane?
Just my 2 cents worth...this F-18 isnt gifted with the most powerful setup, if you glass it you may be very disappointed with what the added weight does to the performance. My own opinion is the included power setup is bare minimum and actually inadequet to be honest.
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Russian knight's Avatar
Charlotte nc
Joined Jun 2007
315 Posts
LOL i can see though the nose cone of the red viper on the first pic of hobby lobby site .



-Andrew
Russian knight is offline Find More Posts by Russian knight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:31 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
Hi ATAC,

I used about 35% negative expo on ailerons and elevator. The radio I use is a Spektrum DX7 with an AR6100 receiver(Hobby Lobby sells both, BTW) with dual rates on ailerons/elevator, roughly 70%/110%.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie. I think I will wait for the DX6i to arrive before I maiden this. I will buddy-box it to my DX7, so my son can fly it on its maiden flight as well.
ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62
Just my 2 cents worth...this F-18 isnt gifted with the most powerful setup, if you glass it you may be very disappointed with what the added weight does to the performance. My own opinion is the included power setup is bare minimum and actually inadequet to be honest.
the stock power is good enough, not great though.
Use power system to your desire.
Nothing prevents that.

blueplane is offline Find More Posts by blueplane
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2008, 08:01 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
I used about 35% negative expo on ailerons and elevator. The radio I use is a Spektrum DX7 with an AR6100 receiver(Hobby Lobby sells both, BTW) with dual rates on ailerons/elevator, roughly 70%/110%.

Ronnie
NEGATIVE?

JR/Spektrum uses + expo to soften around center, - makes it MORE sensitive around center.

Futaba is - to soften.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Hobby People BH Models Chipmunk 61 ARF Review pda4you Glow to Electric Conversions 44 May 16, 2010 03:15 PM
Eam F-18 Arf Jim Phelps Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 41 Dec 17, 2002 09:32 PM
EJF - press releases, ejets.tv, F-18 ARF, F-18 Super Hornet for 90 mm EDF Robert Wagoner Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Jun 24, 2002 12:11 PM
EAM's F-18 ARF bruff Vendor Talk 33 Apr 08, 2002 09:24 PM