SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:35 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
You will pull around 24-26 amps full throttle with the lsjs and the gws or stock fan, it is too much for a 1300 pack, I replaced the esc with a CC 36 amp version. I'm running a standard TP 2100 pack, 5 oz, about 3/4x4x1" approx. I don't know if it is true 1:1 thrust to weight with this setup, but you can definitely do a high alfa, and then accelerate out without dropping the nose much.

Frank
Also, did the bigger battery pose a ballance issue? I flew mine once and seemed tail heavy so it could stand more weight in the nose anyway.
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I planned ahead when I put it together, I used a soldering iron and xacto knife and I cut through between the two battery bays, so that I can slide the 2100 in through the front bay, and back as far as it will go, about 2/3 of the way to the rear of the front bay is where the front of the battery winds up, no CG problems.

frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62
Also, did the bigger battery pose a ballance issue? I flew mine once and seemed tail heavy so it could stand more weight in the nose anyway.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
I planned ahead when I put it together, I used a soldering iron and xacto knife and I cut through between the two battery bays, so that I can slide the 2100 in through the front bay, and back as far as it will go, about 2/3 of the way to the rear of the front bay is where the front of the battery winds up, no CG problems.

frank
so im assuming ur RX is at the very back of the rear bay?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
I used a soldering iron and made some small recesses in the channel that is used for the wiring, I have the speed control and receiver(spektrum) there, so there isn't anything in the battery bay. I didn't like the plastic cover over the wiring, etc, so I used hinge tape, covered over everything and then painted it the same color as the fuse, saves a bit of weight and looks better.

Frank

Quote:
so im assuming ur RX is at the very back of the rear bay?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:36 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
You will pull around 24-26 amps full throttle with the lsjs and the gws or stock fan, it is too much for a 1300 pack, I replaced the esc with a CC 36 amp version. I'm running a standard TP 2100 pack, 5 oz, about 3/4x4x1" approx. I don't know if it is true 1:1 thrust to weight with this setup, but you can definitely do a high alfa, and then accelerate out without dropping the nose much.

Frank
All you needed was the LSJS motor or adapter too? After this drop in, the CC36 and 2100mah 3s batt was it really a significant increase in performance? I see the LSJS is rated to 290 watts, I dont think thats much better then stock. But Id like to do something to get more out of mine, its kinda boreing stock.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:57 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
It needed the bolted on adapter to fit, sorry, I forgot they sell it without the adapter, I don't remember what I did for the hub, if I had to drill it out or not. I felt it had a significant increase in performance, the lsjs is rated far above 290 watts, people are running 30-35 amps or more and 4s, so you can always to to 4s as another upgrade option, but if you do that you might want to plan on a separate bec from castle(very light) and a speed control that can handle the current.

Frank

Quote:
All you needed was the LSJS motor or adapter too? After this drop in, the CC36 and 2100mah 3s batt was it really a significant increase in performance? I see the LSJS is rated to 290 watts, I dont think thats much better then stock. But Id like to do something to get more out of mine, its kinda boreing stock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:06 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
It needed the bolted on adapter to fit, sorry, I forgot they sell it without the adapter, I don't remember what I did for the hub, if I had to drill it out or not. I felt it had a significant increase in performance, the lsjs is rated far above 290 watts, people are running 30-35 amps or more and 4s, so you can always to to 4s as another upgrade option, but if you do that you might want to plan on a separate bec from castle(very light) and a speed control that can handle the current.

Frank
Im new to EDF, the F-18 seemed kinda lifeless, so not knowing much about EDF I feel im better off going with someone elses ideas...lol I dont wanna go 4s as I didnt reinforce this thing at all. You think and 35amp esc is adequet?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 06:11 PM
Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got my box from hobby-lobby today. I was so excited to have the weekend to work on my new F18. I open the box, and there is a Honey Bee RTF helicopter in the box! The picking ticket attached to the front of the box says F18 Hornet, but there is a HONEY BEE (worth about 60% as much) in the box instead!!! Because of New Years, there is no way I'm getting the correct package for at least a week!! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
rdalcanto is offline Find More Posts by rdalcanto
Last edited by rdalcanto; Dec 29, 2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:41 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
yes, on 3S the 35 amp is plenty good.

Quote:
Im new to EDF, the F-18 seemed kinda lifeless, so not knowing much about EDF I feel im better off going with someone elses ideas...lol I dont wanna go 4s as I didnt reinforce this thing at all. You think and 35amp esc is adequet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2007, 03:38 PM
Chile, Valparaiso, Viņa
Joined Dec 2007
189 Posts
Radio system

Can anyone tell me what kind of radio system is included with the RTF planes from Hobby-Lobby?... who is the maker?... compatible with others such as Futaba?...
I really like this F-18
Thanks in advance...
jecchile is offline Find More Posts by jecchile
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
650 Posts
Santa brought me an F/A-18 for Christmas. About a two hour build.
Maidened it on Thursday. Made one short flight to get the feel of it.
Slows down beautifully, with no tip stall tendencies at all.
About 30 seconds into the second flight, the motor sped up and the plane
slowed down. Landed it OK. All five rotor blades were gone!.
Couldn't see how to get to the fan, so I called HL. The tech support guy was great, told me how to remove the fan unit, and said he would send a new one immediately. The inside of the shroud was all scored up, so it was obvious the blades were rugging. Will make sure to bench run the new one before flight.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:53 AM
F-18 Pilot
Florida
Joined Dec 2007
2 Posts
Im Lost!?

i have a question. i bought the f-18 from hobby lobby about a week ago, put it together and everything is running great, now my problem is my control. the right joystick stays at 50% right. Now when i turn on the control, sometimes it will only make the fan run when i push down on it, BUT! sometimes when i i turn it on for another testing run, the fan only stops when i hold the stick all the way up. Can someone tell me what's going on?

what is the right way it should work?
Danny.M is offline Find More Posts by Danny.M
Old Jan 02, 2008, 08:23 PM
Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
Can it get any worse?.... I called Hobby Lobby on Monday about the incorrect shipment. They were great and sent out a replacement jet that day. I checked the tracking last night, only to discover that they sent the new package to a different address (one I haven't lived in, in over two years), which was obviously different from the billing address. My wife called this morning, and it sounds like she got a little grief (as though it was somehow our fault), but they are sending out another replacement. Unfortunately, it won't arrive until Jan 8th, so the wait for my jet continues..... If it arrives damaged, I may just cry and give up....
rdalcanto is offline Find More Posts by rdalcanto
Old Jan 02, 2008, 08:26 PM
Fly it before you paint!!
Delaware
Joined Sep 2006
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
Can it get any worse?.... I called Hobby Lobby on Monday about the incorrect shipment. They were great and sent out a replacement jet that day. I checked the tracking last night, only to discover that they sent the new package to a different address (one I haven't lived in, in over two years), which was obviously different from the billing address. My wife called this morning, and it sounds like she got a little grief (as though it was somehow our fault), but they are sending out another replacement. Unfortunately, it won't arrive until Jan 8th, so the wait for my jet continues..... If it arrives damaged, I may just cry and give up....
dude they should give you a discount or some money back for their mistakes Hobby-Lobby is like Pepboys to me
SmoothCruizer is offline Find More Posts by SmoothCruizer
Old Jan 02, 2008, 08:31 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,055 Posts
hey guys, ive got a stock power system for sale for the HL F-18/mirage/edomodel F-15. brand new from the box. i ran it quickly to verify it runs, and it ran really well..i was suprised. heres a link to the sale/pics

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795031
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut