SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:40 AM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanks
Just to clarify, the 'StarMax' is (or was) the same as HL F/A-18E.

This thread, and any other that ID'd the plane as HL [Riccs] {StarMax} F/A-18E, F/A-18, or F-18, etc. were refering to the same kit.

HL == Hobby-Lobby decided to drop the line, recently.

'StarMax' is the root manufacturer. In any case.
The confusing part is they show different wingspan and length, as well as "E" model vs. "C", etc...leads one to believe they are different jets. Does anyone know if HL is going to carry a new Blue Angel EDF in place of the discontinued version?
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
If that's at all true, I'll take that P-38 Lightning off your hands.
Well..its funny you should mention that one as it recently had a flight mishap...It could be repaired but I already have rebuilt it 3 times..I have crashed this plane more than any other...the cause of the last crash is still a mystery..although the wind may have been a factor as I was flying it in 30mph wind which I had done many times before..
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Apr 11, 2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:16 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Pinky is on the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl T
Don't be so concerned about Hopping up till you see the stock performance. Working on getting a video together.
Ask 44mag about trying to video it.
Carl
PS" modfly, I'll bet if you get one you will get rid of some one of the present ones.
I'd show you my collection but I don't have room to get there and take a photo.
I will have my new FA-18 "Pinky" RTF tuesday..I just ordered the RTF version as its $20.00 difference..I don't mind having another radio as I always find a use for them..Is the fan in this thing really $18.00? that seems a bit high..I will try the plane stock with maybe a better lipo or two
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Just to clarify, the 'StarMax' is (or was) the same as HL F/A-18E.

This thread, and any other that ID'd the plane as HL [Riccs] {StarMax} F/A-18E, F/A-18, or F-18, etc. were refering to the same kit.

HL == Hobby-Lobby decided to drop the line, recently.

'StarMax' is the root manufacturer. In any case.
I'm sorry, but no offense, that sounds like nothing but an internet rumor. I don't think HL is discontinuing it, they are just running out of the mispainted pink ones, that's all.
doppler1 is offline Find More Posts by doppler1
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
I don't know if this was pointed out yet, but the wing loading calculation is incorrect in the review. 256 square inches = 1.78 square feet. 19.75oz AUw means 19.75/1.78 = 11.1oz per square foot, not 8.19.
nwjt is offline Find More Posts by nwjt
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:32 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
1,508 Posts
F18

I have a "pink" Viper and just called to place an order for spare parts and asked if they will receive more shipments of these planes. They told me that it is a new plane and they are not planning to discontinue it any time soon...
earaoz is offline Find More Posts by earaoz
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler1
I'm sorry, but no offense, that sounds like nothing but an internet rumor. I don't think HL is discontinuing it, they are just running out of the mispainted pink ones, that's all.
No offense taken. You may be right.

CarlT was the one who stated he'd had a conversation with them and learned of the 'discontinuation'

On hearing that I went to browse their website for the F-18 listing, as a quick and dirty 'trust but verification' test. Which I'd done many times before, and sure enough the listing had been relocated.

It was no longer on the home page, and no longer in catagory;

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/index2.htm

Where it had been, and although I could still get the listing. I had to manually search for it. As if I 'knew' it was in there somewhere. Then, all 3 flavors came back as 'SOLD OUT'

So I took all that to indicate that Carl was correct.

But really, I don't know. Haven't asked directly.

I would be be glad to know that the reports of the HL F-18E's demise, have been greatly exagerated.

ibanks is offline Find More Posts by ibanks
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo
The confusing part is they show different wingspan and length, as well as "E" model vs. "C", etc...leads one to believe they are different jets. Does anyone know if HL is going to carry a new Blue Angel EDF in place of the discontinued version?
You are correct in that they are two different kits.

StarMax now has an (much larger) F-18C listed on thier site. I don't know if HL plans to stock it.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Well..its funny you should mention that one as it recently had a flight mishap...It could be repaired but I already have rebuilt it 3 times..I have crashed this plane more than any other...the cause of the last crash is still a mystery..although the wind may have been a factor as I was flying it in 30mph wind which I had done many times before..

Well, looks fixable.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:

Well, looks fixable.
check this thread..this GWS-38 has been around...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727020
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
Joined Nov 2007
717 Posts
I think your setup is flawed. The reading on the scale is not the true thrust in that because of the way you are applying the force to the scale, the scale is measuring TORQUE. This is because you are applying the force through a lever!

It will read higher than it really is. If you want the math to adjust the numbers, I can send it. It will require you mesure where the nose pushes on the lever from the bottom of the scale.

A better way is to use a fish scale, and hang the plane so the nose if pointing straight down. Then apply WOT and subtract the AUW of the plane from the reading to get static thrust. Of course measurement is still somewhat flawed but not as bad as measuring with a lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl T
THRUST TESTING (# 647)
nwjt is offline Find More Posts by nwjt
Last edited by nwjt; Apr 11, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 03:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwjt
I think your setup is flawed. The reading on the scale is not the true thrust in that because of the way you are applying the force to the scale, the scale is measuring TORQUE. This is because you are applying the force through a lever!

It will read higher than it really is. If you want the math to adjust the numbers, I can send it. It will require you mesure where the nose pushes on the lever from the bottom of the scale.

A better way is to use a fish scale, and hang the plane so the nose if pointing straight down. Then apply WOT and subtract the AUW of the plane from the reading to get static thrust. Of course measurement is still somewhat flawed but not as bad as measuring with a lever.
I would I were a fish monger.

Truth be told, we all know our thrust testing to date is "approximate" at best.

Every time I go to 'test' something around the house, I'm reminded of how grossly inadequate all my tools are.

And no one faults Carl for believing he's getting 18 Oz. thrust out of his.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,344 Posts
my gut feeling is ....
18oz is a bit hi...
however he did everything right as I see it
so my thought is he has a GOOD hi discharge battery
a tight and balanced fan
and has opened the intake and "m" holes
to a perfect amount ...thus thrust =18
I only wish mine does...
my only request would be for amps and volts
as that would go a long way in backing up the 18

but the final word is and this has been proven...
it flies well stock...good with minor improvements
and .........is a fun bird to have on several levels
EOS
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
I heard two things from a pretty impeccable guy in the know:
A. 16 ounces is the stock configuration from the factory.
B. It's not being discontinued by HL at all, only the pink one, which was a mistake in painting.
doppler1 is offline Find More Posts by doppler1
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Doppler 1 is correct.
I live here in Nashville and regularly visit the international and only shipping station for Hobby Lobby, which has a retail store attached.
The "Pink" one is being sold off as a defect. (I bought my ARF and a full body kit at their counter sale a few weeks back for less than half price!!)
The blue and Red are still being sold and will continue as interest dictates.
Parts are going to be coming in for both the remaining kits by the middle-end of this month.
And yes. This is the STAR MAX version. Not any other versions.
~M~
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton