HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2007, 08:27 PM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,464 Posts
We've seen that already.
Now tell us where to get these kits other than blue angels version.
darmar is offline Find More Posts by darmar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2007, 09:08 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmar
We've seen that already.
Now tell us where to get these kits other than blue angels version.

Amen to that question... I wan the Black and grey one....
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 06, 2007, 10:32 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
F18 Foamy Scale Decals

I made some somewhat crude Blue Angel decals to make it look more scale in flight. It built fast and easy so today is it's first flight. It of course it not true scale.

I also
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Old Dec 08, 2007, 11:59 AM
Michigan
Joined Jul 2003
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
You are right, I've got the mirage also, and with the same stock components the F-18 is a much much better performer. I found that using a 2100 battery pack and a 36 amp tbird speed control upped the performance a good amount, the stock battery was limiting the performance, and so was the speed control, allowed 2-3 more amps to be drawn at least. If you use a light receiver, like a berg or 6100 you save a bit of weight and the little heavier 2100 is compensated for by the thrust increase.

Frank
Frank,
What did you remove to fit the 2100 pack in? Looks like I would need to remove the divider between the battery and receiver compartment - removing the foam and plastic. Anything else special?
I saw it fly at NEAT before I bought it (came home and ordered it..) Would like more capacity for longer flight... looks like about 2.5 oz more in battery weight between stock 1300 and TP 2200...
Thanks!
Greg
gmc-mi is offline Find More Posts by gmc-mi
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:43 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Greg... it gets 8-10 minutes on the stock lipo... thats a lot of time... my SU-27 gets 4 minutes on a 3s 2500 lipo...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 08, 2007, 11:29 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
Greg, yes, just remove the foam and plastic between the divider. The stock battery I measured was 3.5 oz, and a 2100 tp is 5, so only 1.5 oz more weight. Actually to get the benefit of the bigger battery for extra power, not just flight time, you really should replace the speed control with a 30 or 36 amp, I got about 2-3 more amps draw and increased thrust as a result, so my runtime is still about the same but I have more power to more than compensate for the weight increase, on mine I used a berg receiver, and that saved a few grams also, and removed the rudder control wire since I didn't find rudder on the is plane to do much, but steering was important.

I do slide my battery back once it is inside the bay all the way to the rear that I can, and use a piece of foam stuck inside the forward bay to keep it from sliding.

I never got 8 minutes on the stock battery, first one puffed on the first flight after 5 minutes.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc-mi
Frank,
What did you remove to fit the 2100 pack in? Looks like I would need to remove the divider between the battery and receiver compartment - removing the foam and plastic. Anything else special?
I saw it fly at NEAT before I bought it (came home and ordered it..) Would like more capacity for longer flight... looks like about 2.5 oz more in battery weight between stock 1300 and TP 2200...
Thanks!
Greg
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,314 Posts
Well I'll second on replacing the speed control,my bec has given out a couple of times leaving my plane w throttle but no servo control! Still in one piece!
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:06 AM
Joined Sep 2005
116 Posts
The plane looks great, does anyone have any experience on higher altitudes and EDF"s I live at 6,550 feet; would this plane make it off the ground up here?
rickbones is offline Find More Posts by rickbones
Old Dec 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4 Posts
Definitely need to change the servos. Great plane, but on the 4 flight, one of the elevator servos got stuck in the up position. Managed to save the plane with only the nose breaking off. I changed the servos and esc, and it is now my favorite plane.

Anyway, I'm using a Spektrum DX6 and thunderbird 36 esc. I was wondering if there was a way to set it up so that I can reverse the direction of the motor with the transmitter. Like a reverse thrust, so I can use it for landing.

Thanks
meatpuppet is offline Find More Posts by meatpuppet
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,439 Posts
Great review Ronnie!! I love how that plane handles at low speed. Nothing twitchy about it at all.

Thanks;
Rod
bc-slowflyer is online now Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:52 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-slowflyer
Great review Ronnie!! I love how that plane handles at low speed. Nothing twitchy about it at all.

Thanks;
Rod
Thanks Rod!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
Acampo, Ca. USA
Joined Oct 2006
283 Posts
Still new at EDF's. Does anyone know if the F18 can be repainted for a more milatary look? Or will the extra paint weigh it down too much?

thanks
kdfi73 is offline Find More Posts by kdfi73
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:15 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
kdfi73,

I'm planning to repaint mine in a darker 'navy blue' color. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you go with a light coat.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Any recent buyers know if Hobby lobby got the paint issues worked out on this yet?
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
20 Posts
Hummmm???

Has anyone put any modifications on the hobby-lobby f/a-18 Yet?
Like a faster motor etc.
JOHNNY LOVE is offline Find More Posts by JOHNNY LOVE