HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2008, 03:10 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
I thought the xf fan was a smaller diameter than the 64mm, the plane is a bit heavier than the phase 3 f-16, I don't think it would run as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperdyne
Has anyone measured the thrust on the F-18 with stock motor and ESC? I am wondering what the numbers are.

Also, how do you think an XF 3-bladed fan and 5100kV motor would perform (basically the same setup that ships in the HP F-16)? Would I need to add cheater holes to the F-18 with this fan unit?

I tried the hobbycity fan unit and it only gives me 11 oz of thrust - plus the motor is heavier!
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2008, 08:21 AM
Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
If anyone in the salt lake city area want to buy my slightly used F18, with HS55 servos at the elevator, HS65 for aileron, let me know. It has a little hangar rash, but still looks and flies great. $150. (I don't think I can ship it assembled anywhere).

Rick
rdalcanto is offline Find More Posts by rdalcanto
Old Feb 02, 2008, 09:10 AM
Blueabyss
Florida
Joined May 2006
68 Posts
Hi Frank.

Yes the alfa rotor plug does fit in the stock impeller but it is tight.. Why it does not come with set screws to attach it to the shaft is beyond me????
I have ran the fan up a couple of times inside the jet and so far no problems with my glue job... Also the ljs rotor plug, that does not come with set screws, has a larger shaft hole than the shaft on the ljs... I would think it should come almost tight on the shaft.. The hole is like .25mm larger than the shaft.. Once again I would like to clarify: Are you using the stock fan housing with the GWS impeller or a whole GWS Fan housing and impeller.

Chris
Blueabyss is offline Find More Posts by Blueabyss
Old Feb 02, 2008, 12:41 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Blue, I'm using the stock fan housing.

The glue seems to work well enough, just makes changing the fans/motor more difficult. I've never had one of the alfa plugs be loose, maybe they had a bad batch. There is another guy on the lsjs threads that makes a delrin or nylon adapter, that just is a snug press fit that guys are happy with, it doesn't need a lot of force to hold it on, the torque is minimal.

Looks like no flight or video today, the snow started coming down pretty hard, at least for Oregon.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Hi Frank.

Yes the alfa rotor plug does fit in the stock impeller but it is tight.. Why it does not come with set screws to attach it to the shaft is beyond me????
I have ran the fan up a couple of times inside the jet and so far no problems with my glue job... Also the ljs rotor plug, that does not come with set screws, has a larger shaft hole than the shaft on the ljs... I would think it should come almost tight on the shaft.. The hole is like .25mm larger than the shaft.. Once again I would like to clarify: Are you using the stock fan housing with the GWS impeller or a whole GWS Fan housing and impeller.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2008, 02:53 PM
Doppler wrangler
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
So does anyone know the stock thrust figures?

I need a new motor collet adapter since mine is toast. Where can I get one? Or is there a replacement plug I can get somewhere.

I was able to get 11 oz of thrust from an XF fan installed. That gets me to around 0.5 thrust to weight. I never took stock measurements so I want to see if I am getting close to stock performance.
hyperdyne is offline Find More Posts by hyperdyne
Old Feb 02, 2008, 03:21 PM
Blueabyss
Florida
Joined May 2006
68 Posts
First Flight

Frank,

Took the jet up for the first flight today.. It fly's "ok".. It seemed a bit slow but I did notice when I slowed it to half throttle, it did not fall out of the sky. It required several clicks of up trim but no aileron trim. It rolled pretty fast but I think I will increase the throws a bit.. I had 25% expo in it and that was plenty. The plane has nice flight characteristics, I just wish it was a bit faster.

Do you think the GWS impeller has more pitch??? That seems to be what the plane needs to load that LJS motor a bit more.

I have some video but the quality sucks..

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...t=P2020013.flv

Chris
Last edited by Blueabyss; Feb 02, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2008, 06:35 PM
Blueabyss
Florida
Joined May 2006
68 Posts
Cells

After my flights today and not reaching the speeds I had hoped for, I started thinking about 4 cells...I thought about it for a while but considering the extra weight combined with the speed it might not be a substantial enough airframe to handle that...IE wings breaking off... So for now I am going to look at different impellers as options..

Searching for speed...

Chris
Old Feb 02, 2008, 07:55 PM
KY3JBD
lebanon, PA
Joined Dec 2000
647 Posts
Hello, well i have a Alpha 5 blade fan in mine with a LSJS and i am going to use 4 cells, should make it scoot! As far as the wings go, i took a soldering iron, and followed the panel line on the bottom of the wing and open it up just enough to lay a carbon fiber rod in with epoxy, boy did that stiffen the wings up, not much flex now! it should be able to hande the extra weight and speed. I will post the flight results as soon as i get a chance to take her up...... Chris.
witstick is online now Find More Posts by witstick
Old Feb 02, 2008, 08:14 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
im waiting for my ESC then I am going with a 4s. I have a 16c 4s 2100mah that i think is only an oz heavier then the 20c 2100 3s. I wouldnt recomend grass landings as the gear wont take it
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Feb 03, 2008, 06:47 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
We developed a markings set for the Hobby-Lobby F/A-18 Blue Angels. These are the full markings set needed to complete the Blue Angels paint scheme. The yellow markings are cut vinyl and the Blue Angels Crests are water-slide decals with a white background.

Click here to link to the product announcement forum to read more about the markings.

The cost is $18.99 plus shipping.
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Feb 03, 2008, 09:12 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
My son did his first take at the video camera, so the plane is pretty small, we also had a good headwind, so upwind isn't as fast as it would be normally, but this shows the good climb with the jetscreamer and gws fan.

Here's the video link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=1

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Frank,

Took the jet up for the first flight today.. It fly's "ok".. It seemed a bit slow but I did notice when I slowed it to half throttle, it did not fall out of the sky. It required several clicks of up trim but no aileron trim. It rolled pretty fast but I think I will increase the throws a bit.. I had 25% expo in it and that was plenty. The plane has nice flight characteristics, I just wish it was a bit faster.

Do you think the GWS impeller has more pitch??? That seems to be what the plane needs to load that LJS motor a bit more.

I have some video but the quality sucks..

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...t=P2020013.flv

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2008, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2005
356 Posts
hey frank is it 4cell or 3cell
dareh is offline Find More Posts by dareh
Old Feb 04, 2008, 12:01 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
That was a 3Cell TP 2100 15C pack, and a 36 amp tbird controller, you could probably eek out a few more amps if you went with a 20 or 25C pack, but it would probably cost you an ounce, I had to run higher throttle today than normal due to the head wind, normally half throttle is good for cruise, and full is only really needed for vertical, or pushing around a loop if you get a bit slow.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareh
hey frank is it 4cell or 3cell
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2008, 08:15 PM
Extreme Flight 540T Flyer
phoenix az
Joined Feb 2007
146 Posts
I just picked one of these planes up off ebay RTF with radio and reciever for 190$ shipped...Man i'm stoked!
TheRyder is offline Find More Posts by TheRyder
Old Feb 05, 2008, 01:37 AM
Extreme Flight 540T Flyer
phoenix az
Joined Feb 2007
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got my box from hobby-lobby today. I was so excited to have the weekend to work on my new F18. I open the box, and there is a Honey Bee RTF helicopter in the box! The picking ticket attached to the front of the box says F18 Hornet, but there is a HONEY BEE (worth about 60% as much) in the box instead!!! Because of New Years, there is no way I'm getting the correct package for at least a week!! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaahaahahaha, man this really had me laughing for a while, thanks man.

Order a plane, get a heli, Thats how HobbyLobby does buisness LOL
TheRyder is offline Find More Posts by TheRyder