HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:51 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
yes, I think the speed control and battery are a limiter for the plane, mine is quite fast and will easily do loops at 3/4 throttle.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto
Flew mine for the first time today. Got two flights in on the "stock" 18C packs, and one on the Thunder power light weight 1320 pack. Overall the plane flew very well, and had no bad tendencies. I changed the servos and arms, and have ZERO slop in my control surfaces. Rolls were fast and very crisp. To my surprise however, the plane felt slow and underpowered. You have to be careful not to let it stall at the top of a loop. I ended up flying at 75-100% throttle most of the time, and the ESC cut me off just after my 4 minute alarm (35 degrees outside - battery in my jacket and warm going in). I may not be the best judge, because I pretty much gave up planes 8 years ago for helis because I was bored, but I found flying the jet a little boring. Maybe an A4 would get my juices going better.... Inverted flight required just a little down elevator, and I was able to easily do the first part of an outside loop (since it was the first day I was too chicken to do the second half). The color scheme is nice, but inexperienced pilots or those with bad eyes will loose orientation. I can't imagine how difficult the little A4 must be.... Interestingly, the Thunder Power pack had less power than the stock packs. It may fly even better with a 20C pack.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A few Rocket glider shots.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:26 PM
Acampo, Ca. USA
Joined Oct 2006
283 Posts
did you upgrade yours in any way Frank?
kdfi73 is offline Find More Posts by kdfi73
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
yes, I think the speed control and battery are a limiter for the plane, mine is quite fast and will easily do loops at 3/4 throttle.

Frank
Frank, Did you only change the ESC and battery to get the faster performance? or did you change the motor too? I am in the process of changeing my esc, battery, and was going to put a LSJS in but if i dont need to put the motor in for a noticable increase in performance id rather save it for my Phase 3 F-16. What do you think? stock motor or LSJS?
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Well, I did go to a lsjs because I thought it was going to fly like my Mirage and I wanted all the power I could get, it was a lot of fun that way, and had great climb after takeoff. I had a problem and had to send the lsjs back to get a bearing replaced, so I put a 4600KV gws motor and 6 blade fan in it, and it was almost as good, not quite the climb as the lsjs, but good enough that I didn't want to crack it open, and I put the lsjs with 6 blade gws fan into my sapac Hawk, which desparately needed the power.

Depends on what kind of flying you like to do more, I like my F-16 the way it is stock, and I liked the F-18 with the lsjs, so I'd do it that way, but I like to fly off pavement with my df's, so I fly that one more, if you are a speed junkie, then it is probably better to put it in the f-16 and rip the wings off on 4s, and just fly the F-18 for fun.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62
Frank, Did you only change the ESC and battery to get the faster performance? or did you change the motor too? I am in the process of changeing my esc, battery, and was going to put a LSJS in but if i dont need to put the motor in for a noticable increase in performance id rather save it for my Phase 3 F-16. What do you think? stock motor or LSJS?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Well, I did go to a lsjs because I thought it was going to fly like my Mirage and I wanted all the power I could get, it was a lot of fun that way, and had great climb after takeoff. I had a problem and had to send the lsjs back to get a bearing replaced, so I put a 4600KV gws motor and 6 blade fan in it, and it was almost as good, not quite the climb as the lsjs, but good enough that I didn't want to crack it open, and I put the lsjs with 6 blade gws fan into my sapac Hawk, which desparately needed the power.

Depends on what kind of flying you like to do more, I like my F-16 the way it is stock, and I liked the F-18 with the lsjs, so I'd do it that way, but I like to fly off pavement with my df's, so I fly that one more, if you are a speed junkie, then it is probably better to put it in the f-16 and rip the wings off on 4s, and just fly the F-18 for fun.

Frank
So to clarify, the F-18 will perform noticably better with the LSJS compared to stock? Did you happen to note the amp draw from the LSJS and the stock?
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Something near 18 amps stock and around 24 -25 with the 4600kv gws or the lsjs. I thought it was noticably better. It was at least louder And it went to 11 (spinal tap reference if you didn't know).

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62
So to clarify, the F-18 will perform noticably better with the LSJS compared to stock? Did you happen to note the amp draw from the LSJS and the stock?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Acampo, Ca. USA
Joined Oct 2006
283 Posts
where is the best place to buy LSJS motors? Do you have to go 4S to notice improvment or will I still notice a difference if I use 3S 20C packs? I guess the fan should be upgraded too (since I will be in there) if I buy a LSJS?

Still a newb so sorry for the basic questions.
Last edited by kdfi73; Jan 14, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:58 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Hobby lobby, yes you will see an improvement just with a good 2100 3s pack, and I used the stock fan, or you could switch to a gws fan, and hub to fit. You will probably need to drill out the hub that comes with the kit to fit the lsjs.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfi73
where is the best place to buy LSJS motors? Do you have to go 4S to notice improvment or will I still notice a difference if I use 3S 20C packs? I guess the fan should be upgraded too (since I will be in there) if I buy a LSJS?

Still a newb so sorry for the basic questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:45 PM
USA, WV, Charles Town
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
Here I show my battery mod, and the dual aileron servo install, melted into the foam with a soldering iron to make a pocket, then covered with tape after gluing in. I use a piece of foam inserted into the front of the forward battery bay to hold the battery from shifting forward once inserted. I also made a pocket just behind the rear battery bay to hold the receiver and speed control.
Frank
Excellent mods Frank.
I just unpacked my kit tonight, and immediately started thinking of the things that I plan to mod, aside from the paint scheme. My first thought was the aileron servos, and cleaning up the situation with the bottom center of the plane.

My second thought... go to RC Groups, and see who's already done what I want to do. True to form, there was your post. Thanks for sharing that info. You did it a little differently (and better I might add) than I was planning. I wasn't sure the wing was thick enough to scoop out for a servo, but you adequately proved that it is. Thanks.

BTW, have you done anything (or do you think it will need anything) to strengthen the wings, like adding a cf spar?
aeronuts is offline Find More Posts by aeronuts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:06 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
Thanks, one note, I didn't recess the servos all the way in, just most of the way, like you said, the wings aren't that thick, I didn't reinforce the wings at all, just used epoxy on the butt joint, it seems plenty strong for the weight, even with the jetscreamer and 2100's I don't think you could break the wing in with flight loads. I haven't reinforced the nose either, the plane lands so easily, I've never even come close to bumping the nose on anything.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronuts
Excellent mods Frank.
I just unpacked my kit tonight, and immediately started thinking of the things that I plan to mod, aside from the paint scheme. My first thought was the aileron servos, and cleaning up the situation with the bottom center of the plane.

My second thought... go to RC Groups, and see who's already done what I want to do. True to form, there was your post. Thanks for sharing that info. You did it a little differently (and better I might add) than I was planning. I wasn't sure the wing was thick enough to scoop out for a servo, but you adequately proved that it is. Thanks.

BTW, have you done anything (or do you think it will need anything) to strengthen the wings, like adding a cf spar?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:28 AM
USA, WV, Charles Town
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
Well, so far I've stripped all the electronics from the airframe, in preparation to paint. Getting that chunk with the EDF unit in it out of the airframe was a real pain. I have an aversion for pulling on wiring, so it was just slow and steady wedging with the removed plastic retainer tabs. Now that I've got it out, I used some super-thin clear packing tape to make tabs on each side of the foam block for easier removal later. Comes in and out like a charm now, without a lot of effort.

Examining the EDF, I think these newer models have a little more substantial fan than the ones you guys were reporting from before. It's not super robust, but appears at least as strong or better than the PF400 (from an old Turbo Vector kit) I was contemplating putting in there.

I'm glad I pulled all the servos (except for the nose wheel one). I tested them after removal, because one of the elevator servos did not move smoothly. It acted as if it was binding or had stripped gears. I'm glad I don't generally rely on servos that come with RTF/ARF kits, the maiden could have been a disaster. It's nice to get a BL motor and esc for a reasonable price, but I wish more of these ARFs didn't include servos.

I put two holes in the bottom of the nose cone, and a pinhole in the tip. Then injected DAP expanding latex foam. It filled it up nicely, and once it cures it should offer a little more strength. The foam can be sanded and painted after it has cured.

I wasn't going to get into this tonight, but I just couldn't resist. I'm at a good stopping point, time to catch some sleep.

Peace out.
aeronuts is offline Find More Posts by aeronuts
Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:27 AM
Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Sep 2003
274 Posts
I understand the desire to paint, but running three cells, I don't see how you are going to make up for all the extra ounces you are going to add.... Your vertical is going to stink, IMO....
rdalcanto is offline Find More Posts by rdalcanto
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
Acampo, Ca. USA
Joined Oct 2006
283 Posts
Quote:
You will probably need to drill out the hub that comes with the kit to fit the lsjs.

Frank
I was told I would need a lathe to drill out the hole to 3mm. Is this what you did

thanks
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,443 Posts
To do it right yes, but I have a large set of drill bits and used them to progressively ream it out by hand, I was worried my drill press had some wobble and would make it worse, it turned out ok for me. If you screw it up, all it costs is a 3mm hub from gws and a gws fan, so only $10 or so.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfi73
I was told I would need a lathe to drill out the hole to 3mm. Is this what you did

thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:49 PM
Top Gun
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
ESC went on my first F-18 and lost control of control surfaces. Destroyed the front half and just purchased a second one. This time I got the RTF. After reading the post I may replace the ESC before flying it. Also is anyone flying the RTF? Any comments on the radio? Also how did you rout the antenna? I love the way this plane looks and really want it to be one of my favorites.
Remington001 is offline Find More Posts by Remington001