HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:30 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
They changed it a few days ago, so from what I was told it was sold as the whole fuselage, but then they split it into front and rear sections. If my order was shipped right away it would have been shipped correctly, but since it was delayed a week the order was processd under the new method and since they used the same part number for teh whole fuselage and rear fuselage that is what caused the trouble. They should have not kept it the same item number.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:40 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
They changed it a few days ago, so from what I was told it was sold as the whole fuselage, but then they split it into front and rear sections. If my order was shipped right away it would have been shipped correctly, but since it was delayed a week the order was processd under the new method and since they used the same part number for teh whole fuselage and rear fuselage that is what caused the trouble. They should have not kept it the same item number.

Don
Mine should arrive any day so I'm sure I'll be on the phone with them. thanks for the tip.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
I received a message from Jay, the missing parts are on the way. A few extra days won't kill me. Mistakes happen, what's nice is when they jump on the problem and handle it.

Thanks, Jay!

I'm liking the new darker blue color too.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Looks like I will need to make some underbelly hatches as the two plastic battery hatches do not come with the rear body or front body and I do not see them sold as a seperate item. Also my guess is yours will have damage to the body since the replacement I just received arrived damaged on the opposite this time but the fix is easy. I think whoever packs them in the box is crushing the ends when they push the brown packing paper in the end of the box before sealing it.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Aug 28, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Don, The underbelly cover should come with the canopy, nose cone and tail cone package.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
Hobby Lobby F/A-18 Blue Angel

The Hobby Lobby aircraft is a Super Hornet which is not what the Blue angels are flying
mondaynights is offline Find More Posts by mondaynights
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:04 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
I mean these two hatches.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
I mean these two hatches.

Don
Uh, oh.

Same boat again. I went wthough mine and nada.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:17 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,386 Posts
For you guys who like vids, I just posted a couple vieos of my two versions of the F-18. You can compare them by playing one after the other.

The first is with an E-Flite 400
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916096

The second with a wicked.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post10441549

Regards,

Eric H.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
http://donsrc.com
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:50 AM
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson
For you guys who like vids, I just posted a couple vieos of my two versions of the F-18. You can compare them by playing one after the other.

The first is with an E-Flite 400
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916096
Hey, nice flying.
The motor is an Elite 4200, not e-flite as you say, right? (you mentioned where you got it, and they don't sell E-flite.)

It looks more powerful that mine (Elite motor). I have to try with a Tenergy battery. Mine is heavier because of the retracts, but has less drag...
Do you know how much current you are pulling with the GWS rotor?
Marcelo.-
marcelo3d is offline Find More Posts by marcelo3d
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:58 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo3d
Hey, nice flying.
The motor is an Elite 4200, not e-flite as you say, right? (you mentioned where you got it, and they don't sell E-flite.)

It looks more powerful that mine (Elite motor). I have to try with a Tenergy battery. Mine is heavier because of the retracts, but has less drag...
Do you know how much current you are pulling with the GWS rotor?
Marcelo.-
Yes, you are right. It was late, and the vids took a long time load etc.

ELITE 4200 is correct for the pink one.... Eric H.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:15 AM
Joined Feb 2005
552 Posts
Amp Draw for Elite 400?

Eric,

Have you measured what your Amp Draw is with the Elite 400 motor? I just ordered one for my Bananahobby (silver/yellow/black version) F-18 and I just want to know what size ESC I will need? I'm sure the stock 25amp esc won't be large enough. What are you using and what is the lowest amp esc we can use on the Elite 400 setup? Thanks
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:36 AM
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Bookstar, you missed this post, page 102:
Quote:
Eric, bookstar,

I ordered the Elite 400 (4200kv) from hobbypartz.com. $19.95 + tax, free shipping. I got it today and installed it, but first I did some measurements on my stock motor (the plane has added retracts and the cheater holes widened a bit).
So, stock motor gives me: 444g of thrust, 21A, 221W. (this is at 2 sec after WOT, there is higher current during the first second)

The Elite gives me 460-470g of thrust, 24A, 244W. (2 sec after WOT).

These measurements are not encouraging. $20 + time for ~5% better performance is not great.
The "upgrade" is quite easy, so at least that is good. The adaptor fits the new motor, so the hardest part is pulling it off the old motor.

Of course, these measurements are reading the current/thrust WOT with a cold motor/battery/esc. I'll fly the plane soon and report if I feel (or see in the elog) any difference.
That was measured with a Zippy battery. There is a 10-15% increase in current. With a good battery (ThunderPower, Tenergy, etc) stock measures 25A (WOT at the begining of the test). I suspect 27-28A with the ELITE. I'll measure today.
By now, Eric moved away from the stock EDO rotor. He is using a GWS EDF64. That should increase the thrust/amp pull as well.
More tonight.
AFAIK, we both are using the stock ESC with the Elite.
Marcelo.-
marcelo3d is offline Find More Posts by marcelo3d
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
Joined Feb 2005
552 Posts
Are you sure the stock esc, which is only a 25amp esc, will be sufficient for the amp draw the Elite motor setup will pull? Normally you should have 25% or greater of a cushion just to be safe, so I would go with a 36amp Thunderbird esc or a 40amp esc, but thats just my opinion. Thanks for the info by the way

Quote:
Bookstar, you missed this post, page 102:

That was measured with a Zippy battery. There is a 10-15% increase in current. With a good battery (ThunderPower, Tenergy, etc) stock measures 25A (WOT at the begining of the test). I suspect 27-28A with the ELITE. I'll measure today.
By now, Eric moved away from the stock EDO rotor. He is using a GWS EDF64. That should increase the thrust/amp pull as well.
More tonight.
AFAIK, we both are using the stock ESC with the Elite.
Marcelo.-
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75