SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2002, 06:01 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Battery pack for Kavan Fokker DR1 Triplane

Anyone out there have any advice on what battery pack will work best in the Fokker DR1 triplane? It has plenty of wing area to handle a larger pack than the 370Mah that is specified in the instruction manual but I am also installing ailerons so the added weight of the servo and rigging plus the larger battery pack will add up quickly. I am also installing a GWS 300C-CS motor and gearbox. If anyone has a triplane (simprop, Kavan, Dare kit Etc.) and wants to share your flight experiences with me it would be appreciated. I am wondering how fast the triplane will fly with all of the added weight, I know it wont be very fast compared to a mustang or corsair or any of the other WWII fighters that I have experience flying, but I just want to know what to expect out of it.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2002, 06:19 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
I looked at the Kavan kit before going with my little Dr1.

This triplane was a little tricky to fly at first and as far as gliding, picture a rock about 30 or 40 feet up. It was pretty easy once I figured out it's quirks. These planes need some room for landing and take-off - even my little one needs a 20+ foot run. I've heard the Kavan likes landing speed too. Ground handling takes some practice-I am going to start using dual rates as it doesn't take much overcontrol before the thing is spinning around chasing it's tail and looking rather silly!

I'd love to hear how your build goes-triplanes look like nothing else in the sky!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=68143

There are some nice flying pics on the last page.

-Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Nov 29, 2002, 06:54 PM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Hi John. I built the Kavan DR1 last month and have about 20 flights on it. I started with the stock gear drive and a GWS 300 motor. The plane flew nicely but was still lacking. I then went with the complete GWS set up out of my zero; including an 8 cell 750mamp pack. Flight times are in the 6 minute range under full throttle. Because of all of the drag, it is by no means a fast plane but it does move around and climb with authority. I am using an apc 10X7 prop. It is a very pleasant plane to fly with no real quirks. A nice relaxing plane versus some of the other low wing plane/jets I fly. Hope this helps...
Steve
centex pilot is offline Find More Posts by centex pilot
Old Nov 29, 2002, 07:02 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Flying triplanes

Jon, thanks for the responce. I have flown two different Fokker DR1 triplanes in the past and even though they were very different as far as size and materials used in construction, they both flew very good and had almost exactly the same flight characteristics. I hope the little electric Kavan flies as well as they did, although the first one I built, a VK .60 size that I built and flew in the late 70s was very squirrelly on the ground and the giant scale I scratchbuilt from Bill Effinger (W.E. Technical services) plans with gas weedeater engine I converted handled as well as any taildragger I have ever built and flown! I sold the latter after having Carpal Tunnel surgery on both wrists and losing most of the feeling in all of my fingers, after that I couldn't tell what I was doing with the sticks or find the trim tabs or duall rate switches! It was just so beautiful that after a bad landing because of my hands I decided that I didn't want to see it crash so I sold it to a hobby shop in Portland (for a very good profit I might add) I plan on hand launching for the first couple of flights just to get it trimmed out and get used to it's characteristics. The main thing I am worried about though is whether or not I should reinforce the strut mounting locations in the wings and fuse to handle the extra load of maneuvering with all of the extra weight of the aileron servo and a larger battery pack. Do you have any in flight shots of your triplane? How about video? I would love to see any of them Thanks again, John.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 07:17 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Thanks Steve!

Hi Steve, thanks for the info! Sounds like alot of fun, are you flying with rudder only? I am installing ailerons and removing the dihedral from the wings to make it look more scale. So you are using a 750Mah 8-cell pack, is that a Nicd or NiMH pack? do you know how much the pack weighs? how about the flying weight of your triplane with the larger pack? I would like to know so that I can compare my triplane to yours when I get it done, which unfortunately won't be untill after Christmas. My wife was nice enough to let me work on it in my airplane building/computer room after the kids were asleep (its supposed to be a present from them) so that they don't see me working on it. That also means that in order for it to fit inside the box it came in I can't join the wing halves, fuselage is done though! GWS 300C-CS is already installed it is ready to have the wings mounted on it so it might be done Christmas day! We have been married for 17 years and she knows how much I love the DR1 so she knew it would drive me nuts waiting untill Christmas to get to work on it. Sometimes I just set in front of my work bench and look at it and dream about the day I get to fly it
Old Nov 29, 2002, 08:55 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
Hi John:
I fly the Kavan Dr 1 with a speed 300 motor and have used a 280 BB motor with a Mjet gearbox and have used both a 10 x 7 and a 9 x 6 APC prop. I have used both seven cell 350 nicad packs and an 8 cell 600 nimh pack mounted inside above the battery box and not readily removable. The plane is a great flyer and should fly well with the motor you are proposing but won't be fast as the three wings create so much drag. Have a great time with your plane on Christmas. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:22 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Battery pack for DR1

Mike, everybody sounds like they are having great success with their Kavan DR1's. I'm happy to hear it because I almost bought a simprop triplane a couple of years ago but wasn't sure about electrics. I built an Electri-cub by great planes back in the 80's and it was such a dog that it took almost 20 years and getting to fly some of boomerace's electrics to get me hooked. I've heard that the simprop isn't as scale looking and I also heard from one of the sales rep's from Hobby-Lobby that people were having problems balancing them properly and that is one reason that they quit selling them, which just sounds like a beginners problem since all of the triplanes I have built were hard to balance without adding extra weight in the nose, and thats a no-no with small lightweight electrics! I'm really looking forward to Christmas and will keep everybody updated on how it flies. I will also try to show everyone how I install the ailerons, and let you know how it flies with them and no dihedral. I expect it to be quite the handfull, but what the heck, thats how the real DR1 flew. Besides I want to be able to force Tweety birds down in dogfights! Thanks,John.
Last edited by The Blue Max; Nov 29, 2002 at 11:26 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2002, 11:17 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Hi John. I don't know about the weight. I mounted the pack in the stock location. However, like Mike's, I was not able to use the battery box and had to permenantly mount the battery. Yes, I am flying it on rudder only. I am thinking about converting it to ailerons. My next project is the Kavan Albatros and I am toying with the idea of ailerons on it. It is a nicd pack and not sure about the weight. The plane will loop fine. Although you have to nose it down just a tad and it is a lot of fun to fly. Hope this helps.
Best,
Steve
centex pilot is offline Find More Posts by centex pilot
Old Dec 01, 2002, 03:51 AM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Building a new battery box

Steve, It sounds to me like I am going to have to build a new battery box. If my Dr1 flies half as good as it sounds like yours does, I'm going to be flying it ALOT! So even though I have a good fast charger I want to be able to switch the packs so that I can be back in the air quicker. Any pictures of your triplane? I would really like to see some. I found a thread where a guy had video of his triplane but it must be an old URL because when I clicked on it my computer would get some kind of error page instead of the video, darn! I even E-mailed the guy weeks ago with no responce. Keep us posted when you get the Albatros, I've always liked it too, in fact I almost bought the simprop version untill I got the spring issue of backyard flyer and Nick Ziroli did a construction article on their N28 and he mentioned that the foam that the simprop models are made from is a little on the brittle side and has a tendancy to get stress fractures where the cabanes and lift struts mount. Then I found out about the Kavan triplane and the rest is history! Thanks again! John.
Old Dec 01, 2002, 08:50 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,607 Posts
Switched systems

I flew the Kavan Dr 1 today with a 280 BB motor and both 10 x 7 and 9 x 6 props using 7 cell 350 Nicad packs. With 10 x 7 prop the flights were about 1.5 minutes long and with the 9 x 6 the flights were about 4.5. Both flew about the same at half throttle as at full throttle. Climbed better and was a little faster with the 10 x 7 but at what a time cost. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2002, 09:24 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Photo

Thanks for sharing the photo of your triplane Mike, it looks great! Thats the first photo of a triplane in flight I've seen on the forum. Do you have any more? I can't get enough of the DR1, I have every book and magazine I have ever seen on it, I would like to find some video's or movies though. I used to get the Discovery Wings channell but after almost three years of paying up the you know what for premium cable, I didn't see one single program about the DR1
Old Dec 01, 2002, 09:55 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Lots of triplane in flight on my original thread-here is a favorite... I flew her again today and had a blast. Touch-and-goes without letting the tail hit are especially fun.

I really like the look of the Kavan though and 80 bucks seems pretty good-must resist!

-Jon
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:12 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
That's a good one Jon! Looks like a misty morning over the western front More, more, got to see more I must have missed your other photo's Jon. Which thread are they in? I did a search for Fokker DR1 Triplane in parkflyers and didn't see them, maybe I just missed them though, I have four kids ages 3,4,7 and 9 so I don't usually get alot of time just to surf around looking for stuff. Maybe I will stay up one night after they are all asleep and do a more thorough search. Thanks again for the photo's Jon and Mike!
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:17 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Is that a tailwheel I see in your photo Jon? If so did it improve ground handling much? I'm sure it probably improved stearing alot but did it help prevent groundloops? I am probably going to stick with the scale skid since I am not flying my electrics from alot of pavement or concrete. In fact most of my flying will probably be haund launched.
Old Dec 01, 2002, 10:18 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,840 Posts
Always glad to share with another triplane enthusiast!

Search under Beeline Fokker.

My thread should be at the top - the flying pics are on pages 5 and 6.

-Jon