HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2007, 05:03 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Question
CMP P40 Warhawk 50 - 54"

I have just ordered the CMPro P-40 50 and have read several items in threads about CG issues. Some in electric conversions, others in glow powered. I will power mine with a 2 stroke Magnum XL61. I plan on using the stock fixed gear, and it seems that the CG issues came with people using retracts. Has anyone got information on this plane with fixed gear? How about power plants? Is anyone currently flying this plane? If so, any hints? Flight reports?
KentuckyColonel is offline Find More Posts by KentuckyColonel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:57 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Okay then........ She was shipped today, I'll start abuild thread when I get it.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:46 PM
Central Arkansas
Joined Jan 2006
328 Posts
I've seen this plane flown with a YS110 by a pilot from the Sepulveda Basin field in California who visited our area for a couple of months last winter. There are some related threads regarding their field and use of the 110 on 40 size planes.

He had retracts with no balance issues and decent ground handling on our grass field. The only issue of concern was the incredible speed (120MPH +)and light construction of this plane with the YS110.
stallwart is offline Find More Posts by stallwart
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:25 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallwart
I've seen this plane flown with a YS110 by a pilot from the Sepulveda Basin field in California who visited our area for a couple of months last winter. There are some related threads regarding their field and use of the 110 on 40 size planes.

He had retracts with no balance issues and decent ground handling on our grass field. The only issue of concern was the incredible speed (120MPH +)and light construction of this plane with the YS110.
75-80 MPH would be pleanty fast for this old guy! I will be running fixed gear with a Magnum XL .61AII. I might throw in a Thunder Tiger Pro .46 that I am currently running my UMF1 (Ugly Mother ....... 1). It has to be the ugliest plane at the field, but she SCREEMS . Much fun. So, I know hat engine has some power!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
I am building this plane as well. Although converting to electric. Last I heard Cg that was depicted in the manual was for the larger 1.40 size P40. Someone has been flying successfully with the CG approx 2.5 inches (55-65mm) from the leading edge...not the 85mm that the manual says.

I have attached this pic. I forget which thread i got it off of.

But it shows the cg mark on the wing for the P40. Three lines top was 25%MAC...forgot what the other two were (30%...35% ??)

If you search for the P40 threads in the elec section of rcgroups...you should find this pic...with the description.

Let us know of your progress.
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:16 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
The CG in my manual is listed at 81mm, or about 3 1/4 inches. 55 to 65mm seems to look more like where one would want it. I'll go with 55mm. I have also read that this seems to be the best CG. She's too nice looking to plow a field with on the maiden due to an err in the CG! Thanks for the input.

I have completed the wing, with fixed gear, mounted it and am just about to add the belly pan. The external fuel tank is a nice touch. I am disappointed that CMPro failed to address the fact that the aileron servo trays distroy the U.S. ARMY marking on the underside of the wing. No big deal on the ground, but a major eyesore when flying overhead. Temporary fix was to use some pin stripe tape to fil in the parts of the lettering missing. I wish O had some airbrush skill, if I did, I would have stenciled it out and sprayed the lettering. I think I'll have to get some other wheels. The 2 inch wheels supplied in the kit look way too small. I'd like to go for at least 2 1/2 inchers, so long as they don't totally screw up the CG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1231
I am building this plane as well. Although converting to electric. Last I heard Cg that was depicted in the manual was for the larger 1.40 size P40. Someone has been flying successfully with the CG approx 2.5 inches (55-65mm) from the leading edge...not the 85mm that the manual says.

I have attached this pic. I forget which thread i got it off of.

But it shows the cg mark on the wing for the P40. Three lines top was 25%MAC...forgot what the other two were (30%...35% ??)

If you search for the P40 threads in the elec section of rcgroups...you should find this pic...with the description.

Let us know of your progress.
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Sep 29, 2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:03 AM
Speed Addict
Mid Maine
Joined Jan 2005
62 Posts
good deal on warhawk

just got the kit delivered the other day.. got a great deal from GSP.. $99 plus $24 shipping and was here in two days! .. saving it and the zero for a winter project.. want to have them both flying for the spring..

plan is: os 55ax in both, retracts, weathering, flat clearcoat when finished.. should be some fun scale chases in my future..
Maine_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Maine_Flyer
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:05 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
KCol,

I was dissapointed as well when hacking up the servoe opening on the wing.

I haven't finished the wing yet...but i may try to gluing the covering on top of the plastic servo cover.

cheers !
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:53 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1231
KCol,

I was dissapointed as well when hacking up the servoe opening on the wing.

I haven't finished the wing yet...but i may try to gluing the covering on top of the plastic servo cover.

cheers !
My thought was to do that also, but the servo arm opening is located in such a manner as to make that pretty hard to do. The pinstripe tape worked out okay, and I plan to add a coat of dull to the whole thing, which will dull it down. Plus, seeing as it's on the bottom of the wing, and I plan to fly by kind of fast and low I don't think it'll be all that noticable anyway!
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Sep 29, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:11 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
At least you have an area.

Are you using fixed gear ? I see you put the wheel wells in. Do you plan on going with retracts later on ? I am goin with retracts...but i am not up to that step. Being going slow with my build...too much other stuff to do.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:52 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Fixed gear, no retracts. Wheel wells are in because, if the gear is down, why not have the wheel well?
Old Oct 03, 2007, 07:09 AM
Joined May 2004
160 Posts
Hello All, I own one of these P-40's and I have a magnum 70 4 stroke with retracts and it balanced out at 65mm with 1.5 ounces in the nose. Warning this plane flys only one way fast and lands the same way, if you happen to have a dead stick like i did it'll fly like a brick. DOC
Corpsman is offline Find More Posts by Corpsman
Old Oct 04, 2007, 11:55 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
I decided to go with a Magnum XL 52 four stroke. Had a bit of bad luck in drilling the holes for the blind nuts for the engine, in that the wood in the tray splintered. I'll be gluing some wood on in hopes of taking care of the problem. Other than that, the buld has been pretty straight forward with no real issues. I'm thinking of running a flex tube back through to the rear exit vent on the belly pan for the exhaust. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:54 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Took most of today to fix the damage caused by my sloppy drilling in the motor mount, but it's now in. Matter of fact all that is left to do is to connect servos to Rx, put in remote glow, pilot, exhuast stacks and canopy. Should be done tomorrow morning. Then, off to the Flying field in the afternoon to get in some break in time with the engine.
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Oct 06, 2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typos
Old Oct 05, 2007, 11:55 PM
Joined May 2004
160 Posts
Kentucky, I had the same problem with mine I ended up dremoling out alot of the wood where the engine goes and replaced it and used a antivibration mount and it worked. My friend got the exhaust to go out the rear hole and it'll work but it'll be a tight fit, and reduce air flow over the engine. Where did you find flex tubing for the MAGNUM 52 4 Stroke?? I'ld like to get my hands on one. DOC
Corpsman is offline Find More Posts by Corpsman