HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Ultimate RC Foam Glue

Splash

Type:quality resin glue for all types of foam
Quantity:4 oz. bottle
Retail price:$12.99
Available From:Yardbird RC

Introduction

Want to know what the problem is? Finding a glue that is effective for gluing any kind of foam.

But I'm excited over something small, simple, and inexpensive. Something that is convenient and ends a longstanding problem. Iím talking about Yardbird RC's Ultimate RC Foam Glue which, they say, "creates a super strong bond that is like welding foam." That's what they say and that's what it does.

I have used it quite a bit now, and I agree with the following claims made by Yardbird RC.

Ultimate RC Foam Glue:

• Won't glue your fingers together
  • Won't leave a white haze
  • Doesnít require kicker or accelerator
  • Won't leave a brittle joint
  • Won't foam up
  • Always dries clear

Using Ultimate RC Foam Glue

I tried gluing various kind of foam together edge to edge in some cases, perpendicularly in others, same kind to same kind in some cases, different kind to different kind in others. I followed the distributor's very simple directions: "apply a thin amount of Ultimate RC Foam Glue to one side of the joint and gently press together. Pull the joint apart then press together again. That's it. You don't have to wait for the glue to get tacky. The glue sets in about 20 minutes and the bond will increase over time." I couldn't pull any joint apart. The bond is stronger than the foam.

I didn't bother with pictures, thinking they would be boring. If you can't live without out seeing a demonstration of this, take a look at Yardbird's video on their website.

Unfortunately (because at the time of testing this glue I was breaking things a lot) I mostly used the Ultimate glue for repairs. Below you can see that in assembling a RTF model I got a bit careless and knocked the tip of the vertical fin apart. The repair with Ultimate glue was strong and nearly invisible.

Now look at one of my favorite models. This is a Grumman Skyrocket by Rabid Models, made from Bluecor.

The Skyrocket is a great little airplane and I have had loads of fun flying it. However mine seems a bit brittle. In the air it holds together perfectly well, but when I land on grass, if it happens to catch a snag the foam will snap apart. Here is the result of one such landing.

The damage was easily repaired with Ultimate RC Foam glue.

On a much later flight, another "snaggy" landing did further damage. Note that all the previous repairs held together while "virgin" foam sustained damage.

Once again, Ultimate RC Foam Glue successfully bonded all the damage. The repaired Skyrocket is flying again, strong as ever and with no noticable weight gain.

Conclusion

From now on Ultimate RC Foam Glue stays on my workbench and in my flight box. Given that a thin layer does the job better than a thick layer, a 4 oz. bottle at $12.99 will last you a long time. It is a great value and, for me, a real find.

Last edited by Angela H; Sep 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
How long does it take to dry?
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:46 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
"Pull the joint apart then press together again. That's it. You don't have to wait for the glue to get tacky. The glue sets in about 20 minutes and the bond will increase over time."

About 20 minutes I guess.
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Sounds like GWS, Billy Hell, or UHU glue. Tried them all. I've just discovered SUMO GLUE made by LOCTITE. This stuff is GREAT. Similar to Gorilla Glue, it's a poly glue, but it dries faster, stonger, foams a lot less, and is white; so it looks better on white foam. I found it at WallyWorld and someone else found it at Lowes.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Well, by way of introduction, I build most of my planes from scratch using Depron and pink/blue foam. Occasionally I use the blue FFF. I build scale full-form fuselages and wings not flat plate models.
I spent some time trying various glues, including Ultimate. I've tried Ultimate, Sumo, Gorilla and UHU Creativ for foam. At this point my favorite for building is the UHU Creativ. It's basically a contact glue, spead a thin layer on both sides of a joint, wait about 7 or 8 minutes then stick the two pieces together. The bond is really good, and for wrapping depron around formers for a fuselage it works really great. Glue up the formers and the sheeting, wait for the glue to set up, and then you just position the sheeting, press one edge down and the glue holds immediately, and the wrap the foam around and the glue holds, no pins, no holding on for a long time to let the glue set.
For shop repairs, I've switched to Sumo, its relatively quick, foams a bit but it can be wiped off before it sets up, and the joint is great.
Ultimate is good for simple joints but I find in cases where I'm trying to wrap depron, the time to set up is too long unless you pin everything which can get to be a problem. For field repairs, I still end up using CA and Kicker if I have a minor ding to repair so I can keep flying.
My 5 cents worth.
Ivor
fuelsguy is offline Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi. Will This glue bond Elapor Foam by Multiplex?
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Sep 24, 2007, 02:55 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I have settled on UHU for all my foam and to glue ripstop to carbon/fiberglass.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Sep 24, 2007, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Ditto on the UHU. Excellent for all foams including Elapor. I like using it when wet so that there is "wiggle room".
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Sep 25, 2007, 02:39 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I've been using 3M's EPP glue on EPP and Elapor. Its made for EPP and doesn't melt the Elapor. Its called 3M 4693H plastic adhesive. It seems just like this glue, but it will eat depron. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
Getting back to Ultimate glue, I was triggered by IPFlyer's comment on using UHU when it was still wet. It occurred to me that UHU and ultimate are very similar, so, the question became "would Ultimate work as a contact glue?" A few tests showed the answer to be yes!
I tried several butt joints using UHU and Ultimate as contact glues, i.e. apply the glue to both sides of the joint, let the glue solvent evaporate until the glue surfaces are dry to the touch and then press the joint halves together. I tried a five minute wait and a ten minute wait, got better results from the 10 minute wait. I got an immediate good joint that seems to get stronger with time, but the initial joint is strong enough to keep working on the next part of the model. I also tried Ultimate on my favorite test, a 6mm depron frame with a tight curve and gluing and wrapping simultaneously a 3mm depron sheeting to the frame. It worked just fine, immediately held in place without pins or clamps, similar results to the UHU. Maybe the Ultimate folks need to investigate this more, it could be a very useful feature of the glue that hasn't been discovered before.
Perhaps a few of the Ultimate users could try a similar experiment to see if they get similar results.
Ivor
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:38 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Does the Ultimate glue foam up as it dries before you press the parts together? It might cover lines and things you need to get things lined up right. I'll try the same test with Sumo, and now Fusion glues; both of which foam up less and dry faster.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Anyone have the MSDS sheet for this stuff?
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,444 Posts
NO, the Ultimate is very much like UHU. It dries to a transparent, clear, slightly matt finish. In fact it's hard to see. I use a fine marker pen on each side of the glue line to align things for the post drying "stick together" stage.
I've attached a photo of my depron bending test pieces. they are just a wing frame with a LE diameter of about 1 inch. As I said earlier, I just glue each side of the joint, wait ten minutes, press the 3mm depron at one end so it sticks and then wrap around the frame. The instant glue effect means I don't have to pin or hold it in place. It's just done!
Ivor
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2004
45 Posts
Does anyone know how it does gluing Carbon Fiber to Blue Cor or any other foam? For example a CF rod inset in the wing.

Steve
scubasteve787 is offline Find More Posts by scubasteve787
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve787
Does anyone know how it does gluing Carbon Fiber to Blue Cor or any other foam? For example a CF rod inset in the wing.

Steve
You can't use a contact type cement for that as it would prevent pushing the rod into the wing foam. I have used the UHU for gluing carbon rods to the outside of the wing however it is used by running a bead of UHU between the foam and carbon rod after the frame is tacked into position with thick CA. Works great for that use. See Pics. For inserting flat carbon rod into the wing I embed the rod then use thin CA to glue into place. Never had a failure as the surfaces are squeezed tightly together by the rod insertion.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace