HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:24 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 35% Extra 260 ARF-Electric Conversion

Yesterday, I purchased the latest Giant Scale ARF from Hangar 9 http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdId=HAN1000.
This model is reported to have excellent flight performance, and SUPER quick assembly.

The power system will be the newest Hacker A100 or A150 class outrunner, I will make the power decision once I get the model going. I will test C/G with batteries and motor once all other assembly/radio install is done. That way I can move things into optimum positions for both easy Battery changes and Performance.

I plan to post only the Highlights of the install, especially any Electric specific areas of the assembly.

-Sean
Splummer is offline Find More Posts by Splummer
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:19 PM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Elevator completion

I was pretty much shocked by the prefabrication of the elevators on this model, here's the deal.

Both stabs come pre-hinged , horns installed and gap sealed, with the servo cut outs ready!!!

Using the provided hardware, I installed recommended servos ( New DSJR8711-403oz torque! ) and linkages on both stabs in less than 30 Min!!

This is an unbelievable pre- fabrication, and with quality hardware especially for a Large Aerobat of this caliber. Really amazing....

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
This looks to be another great conversion. Thanks for sharing.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:12 AM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Sean that plane is huge.......
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Wing Servos and linkages

Like the horizontal stab, the wings are pretty much done.

Both wings come pre-hinged , horns installed and gap sealed, with the servo cut outs ready.

Using the provided hardware, I installed recommended servos (JR-DSJR87110)
Each wing uses 2 servos to a single aileron. The proper geometry for the linkages is provided and clearly described in the instruction manual. Additionally, a JR Match box is used for fine tuning of the servo pair.

This was the fastest Dual wing servo intall I have done, the fact that the instruction manual outlines the set-up with exact measurements makes it a breeze. (Even my 7yr old daughter helped with the install)

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Splummer; Nov 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
I love the completeness of the ARF.The less I have to do the better. On the aileron linkages - if the ball links were installed on top of the aileron servo arms wouldn't the geometry of the setup be more linear?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Rudder and Servo Install

The Rudder comes with the hinges ready and A long wire is used to complete the rudder hinge, this allows for removal if required. A really nice feature that is typically not incorporated into ARF models.

The instructions indicate a single JR 8711 located in the tail will properly control the rudder, or a pull-pull arrangement can be installed. I chose the single 8711 servo option as it was very simple and quick. (about 15min to install the rudder and rudder servo!!!)
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:16 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Sean, is the one Mark flew in Az last month? Very impressive. I forgot to ask you the specs at the time, can you post the power system basic info? Thanks!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Landing Gear

The stock Aluminum Gear weigh about 23oz. , although very robust, not great for an Electric conversion. I choose to find a cabon replacement.

I contacted Graphtech R/C- http://www.graphtechrc.com

They offered the Part# 1206 Carbon gear designed for this model. I also opted for a Carbon Wing tube from Graphtech.

Additionally, I contact PSP mfg -http://www.pspmfg.com/AirplaneProducts.html and purchased some Titanium axles.

The New gear and axles ended up at just under 13oz ( 10oz Savings!) and the Carbon wing tube was 3oz lighter than the stock Aluminum tube.

Total savings was 1 lb. using the after market parts.

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Receiver Install

On to the Reciever installation, following the recommendations of Team JR, I choose to use dual AR7000 Spectrum receivers with a direct Lipoly flight pack for each receiver. I have never done this before, however the New JR 8711 servos are rated for direct Lipoly power.

I DID NOT use a voltage Regulator on this set-up. I directly connect a Thunder Power 2S-2200mAh pack into each switch harness which feed directly in to each Sprectrum A7000 receiver.

The servos were connected basically split in half between the 2 receivers with the Right side Aileron/elevator/throttle and the Left side Aileron/elevator/rudder.

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:02 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Sean, is the one Mark flew in Az last month? Very impressive. I forgot to ask you the specs at the time, can you post the power system basic info? Thanks!

I agree, definately an impressive setup.

I'm thinking Hacker A150 on 14s probably pulling 9000w plus.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Last edited by sun.flyer; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:20 AM
Logan, Utah, United States
Joined May 2002
1,260 Posts
Sean can you give us an idea of the battary tray you had to use?
rcman is offline Find More Posts by rcman
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Motor Mounting

The Hacker A-100 Outrunner installation.

I always try to use as much of the orginal or prefabricated parts as possible when I do an ARF conversion. This kit included 2" stand-offs, bolts and blind nuts for the 100cc Gas engine.

I used the supplied 2" stand-offs and hardware to make a Firewall extension. The Firewall extension plate is a 1/2" thick piece of Aircraft Plywood. I then used some 1-1/2" PSPmfg. stand-offs from the Firewall extension to the actual motor mounting ears.

This method is the best for Mounting for Large outrunners as the loads are well distributed considering the strong gyroscopic forces of the motor/prop.

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Cowl Installation

The cowling is provided with the mounting screws and blind nuts pre-installed. At first I thought this was really great, however upon closer examination I discovered the cowling was using only 4-40 allen cap screws.

I decided to change the 4-40 to 6-32 Nylon blind nuts. The process was easy, I simply knocked out he old 4-40 Blind nuts, and tapped the wood mounts using C/A to harden the wood prior to tapping.

-Sean
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
Joined Dec 2001
305 Posts
Battery Tray

At this stage the model is basically complete, with the exception of the Battery Tray. I have found that competely assembling the model with All components, leaving the Battery placement as the last item to ensure a proper C/G.

The batteries (4ea. 6s-5000mAh) were temporarily mounted in the stock fuel tank location, while the model was completely assembled and a C/G check was made. The batteries were moved around until the proper C/G was achieved. As it turns out the batteries ended up, right in front of the wing tube at the rear of the Fuel Tank mount.

At this point I fabricated a 1/4" lite Ply Battery tray, and epoxied it directly over the top of the Fuel Tank mount. I installed the velcro straps using C/A and wrapping them completely around the Battery Tray and original fuel tank mount. I also use a large amount of self adhesive velcro on the floor of the tray.

I have used this method on several models, and even if the model is subject to a very hard crash the Batteries stay put and are protected.

-Sean
Site Sponsor