SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2007, 09:46 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,249 Posts
Siang - No worries, My internet connection is a bit fried at the moment so Im at work, but Id be happy to have a look, im no expert though. Ill PM you later in the week. Fly most weekends around onehunga, with a mate who has a T-rex S, as long as it isnt pissing down........
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:18 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Just got back from the field. After over a week of storm it was refreshing to see the sun again and take the CopterX to the skies. One flight was all it took to give me my morning buzz.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Oct 03, 2007, 05:07 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Flew my CopterX again yesterday; seems that my Trex hasn't been out for a while It was a bit windy but I'm getting to the point that I'm not going to let a bit of wind stop me flying. I practiced keeping her in close, nice slow piros and long nose-in hovers. Also threw in a few 3D flip rolls and I'm trying to work up the courage to take her to an inverted hover - I can do this all day on the simulator.

It's only 6:00am here and still dark, TV says it's gonna rain this morning as a front comes through. Looks like today's a building day.
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:21 PM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
Great Jacko. Looking forward to meeting u and your friend. Where about in Onehunga do u fly? I'll pop over if weather hold. on Sun, my only free day.
siang is offline Find More Posts by siang
Old Oct 05, 2007, 12:26 PM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
no i haven't locktited all screws yet. bought the locktite blue thou but when i check on the web there seems too many screws that i have to apply. I'm still new and dont want to make any wrong disassembly/assembly. lol. will do a little at a time thou, once i get the idea what I'm doing.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 01:09 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Well don't fly it until all screws have had Loctite. I little effort now will save you from mechanical failures later.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 02:08 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,249 Posts
Yup. On my copterX the only bit that was loctited from the factory was the flybar cage. Its worth doing it, and will give you some idea of how they come apart and go together. How does lunchtime sunday in onehunga suit you siang (have to watch the All Blacks wooop france first) ? depending on the weather obviously. Usually fly in the park by onehunga lagoon, or if the fields are empty by waikeraka speedway as it is a huge area. 0210652584 is me.

The copterX is flying awesome! went through 3 batteries yesterday, in rapid succession, giving it total death, came close to being a smoking hole in the ground a few times! Holy smoke does it move out when told too, getting hit by rotor wash as it shoots off into the sky is badass! Full collective and a bit of cyclic is seriously the coolest noise ever, I was laughing like a little girl!
(I was shaking like a leaf afterwards too )
Last edited by jackosmeister; Oct 05, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2007, 10:28 PM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
Thx Gino and Jacko, comming from u guys, i guess i'd better start to locktite all the screws. However, lets hope the weather holds tomorrow so I can get some advice, on the transmitter and setting, esp on the rudder and gyro. Mine presently dont seem to be able to turn its head to the right but able to hold the tail, not in hover mode thou but almost lifting from the training gear . lol. Thx Jacko for yr contact no, mine is 021725755.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:18 PM
United States, NJ, West Orange
Joined Aug 2007
799 Posts
Finally got my CopterX flying outside. Whoa, I'm a total convert now. First flight I had it up and it was hovering very nicely except that I was chasing the tail around a bit.... found out I had the gyro gain set to 50% (which is off). Thing is far more stable than my Blade even with the gyro off.
nybbler is offline Find More Posts by nybbler
Old Oct 06, 2007, 12:24 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Wonderful transitioning into a mini isn't it? I had nothing but smiles for weeks when I had mine in the air. From time to time, I fly my Honeybee CP2 just to bring me back to my roots. Then transitioning back to the CopterX gets me smiling some more.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:40 PM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
thx to u for sorting out my heli .... unbalance (bend) main blade coz of the pin which i didn"t even notice , batteries not charged up properly, rudder not working as it is suppose to, lol, too many to list.
Thx for your free pin that fixed the blade. As for the batteries, I wasnt using a balanced charger, super fast to charge up but not a balance charger which i should use, amazing that local shop would sell u something and wouldn't care if it works or not. For the rudder, I am wondering if the servo isnt working as well. Will check on it latter on tonight.
great flying on yr copterx. super stable as far as i can see
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2006
386 Posts
Any of you guys flying the CpterX with the $44 dollar motor/esc combo? I was wondering because I have noticed that on the esc, when the battery gets low, it just cuts the main motor off for just a split second. Not enough to bring it down, just a split second. I was wondering if that was a “low battery” indicator for this esc. Is it? Not a bad idea really. But I have just never seen that before. Normally they just start to back down slowly to give you enough time to land. Just wondering if this is normal?

Thanx
Gary
garylee33 is offline Find More Posts by garylee33
Old Oct 07, 2007, 06:32 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,249 Posts
siang - no worries mate. Have you watched all the finless trex build videos? they are really really really good. Yup, I seriously recommend you replace the gyro with something better that is easier to setup, It will make it alot easier to fly. I have a spare servo you can have, if it is the servo that is dead. You could try plugging the tail servo straight into the receiver and seeing if it moves correctly (with no gyro plugged into it). Id move the ESC to the front as well, its asking for trouble having it below the receiver. A bit of time with a simulator and you and your son will be flying in no time - check out the clearview sim, its pretty cheap at $60NZ and works well.

Yeh i dont recommend the hobby shop we mentioned - He is a rip-off and isnt very helpful at all. www.rchelis.co.nz is the place to buy from - they are awesome.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:14 PM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
When you fly until you detect a drop in power, you are damaging your lipos. Always fly within 80% of lipo capacity. On the stock CopterX 430L with 13T pinion, 30amp esc, and 11.1v 20C 2200mah lipo, I get 7 min flights.

Never use low voltage cutoff as flight time indicator. Time your flights.
Old Oct 08, 2007, 11:52 AM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
hi Jacko, thx once again, the servo is fine and the ESC has been moved to the front, quite a bit of mission for me thou, lol. I've ordered the new gyro, will plug in once I recieved it. havent wanched that finless trex video thou, will do it now.