HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2007, 02:51 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Sr
I have had a crash where I was flying side in and the silhouette didn't tell me whether the blades were tilted towards me or away from me; that led me to put the bright stuff on the top of the stabilizer fin; if I can see bright color then heli is tilted towards me
I've had a crash just like that myself! Keeping track of which way you are banked doesn't work when a gust of wind banks the heli while in FFF 10ft off the deck. I corrected the wrong way with my T-Rex and it was in the dirt before I could correct it. I really like your idea of the bright stabilizer top, and will be adding that to my Swift ASAP.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Glad I can help Chris, that bright yellow color stands out like the proverbial dog's b@lls, even at a distance.
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Sep 25, 2007, 03:17 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Sr
Glad I can help Chris, that bright yellow color stands out like the proverbial dog's b@lls, even at a distance.

I also think that is a very good idea
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:38 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
I just spooled up for the first time. wow

I think its the noise of the tail rotor coming up into the main rotor wash. its badddasss.

Now all I need to do is replace the one servo horn i buggered by being rough (turns up tommorrow, with a heatsink, CF canopy and a trex case liner (copterX one is shite), isnt it funny how you go looking for a single simple thing and end up buying lots of shiny things you didnt actually need. I think im part magpie), track the blades and give her the maiden voyage.

The copterX CF blades balanced perfectly - they were within .1 of a gram of each other and seem to be perfectly made compared to the trex ones i have seen that have a bow in them. Go CopterX
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:33 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Bugger. LHS told me the elf hobby servo horn was the same as a Hitec servo horn (which ive ordered), but aparently they are not. Feck. Any idea if they major manufacturers servo horns fit an elf hobby servo? If they dont I might be waiting another week to get a frikkin servo horn! Maybe ill just have fork out and by some better servos that have locally available parts....

Edit - Temp fixed by shortening all horns to have 10mm throws, and tweaking swash mixing in radio to 70% for pitch/aileron/elevator so i get the right pitch, which i seem to be.

Hovered it in the lounge Lets just say the CP2 is going to be retired from active service. She flies beautifully
Last edited by jackosmeister; Sep 26, 2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:34 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
A whole new experience isn't it. Enjoy!
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:55 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Edit - Temp fixed by shortening all horns to have 10mm throws, and tweaking swash mixing in radio to 70% for pitch/aileron/elevator so i get the right pitch, which i seem to be.

Hovered it in the lounge Lets just say the CP2 is going to be retired from active service. She flies beautifully
Seems like you have the necessary engineering expertise to graduate up to a CopterX

These forums are full of people struggling to overcome the design defects of various helis such as the Belt CP, those who eventually get a Trex 450 see that they have been wasting valuable flying time messing around with inferior helis.

Those who get a CopterX see that they have paid too much for their Trex
Last edited by Gandalf_Sr; Sep 26, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:02 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
As Scott would put it, I am not going there
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,428 Posts
I came from a HB 2 to a rex almost 2yrs ago... I know how you feel, its night and day diff from a micro...

But there is still a small place in my heart for my HB 2
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
... fixed by shortening all horns to have 10mm throws, and tweaking swash mixing in radio to 70% for pitch/aileron/elevator so i get the right pitch, which i seem to be...
Jacko Another thought occurs to me... if you can get the pitch range you want in the way you describe above then it may actually better this way because you will get extra torque although it will be at the expense of servo speed?

Did you fit any flybar weights? I have done away with them completely.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:57 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Nah no flybar weights, didnt come with any and its plenty stable anyway .

Have an interesting new problem though -

Im getting a very bad vibration intermitantly (its an aerodynamic thing for sure), blades are balanced, tracking is spot on, nothing is loose. Sometimes when hovering around 3 foot off the ground, and giving a lightly left/right cyclic It pops up, its quite bad and doesnt seem to go, unless I land and unload the head then spool up again and its perfect again. Im thinking maybe my blades are too loose/tight or just a bit bindy in a certain spot? My theory at the moment is that as one blades pitch increases it makes the blade lag slightly and it isnt coming back to proper alignment as it comes around the swash plate?

Anyone come across this problem before? its very annoying, Ill try tightening my blades tommorrow and see if it comes back.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:36 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
You need to resize your ball links. I did one turn each with a ball resizer. If you don't have one, live with it for a while. It will break in.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:51 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
I assume you checked the blades' CofG first?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:09 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,325 Posts
Yup gandalf the blades are perfect. And it is an intermittent vibration. It is soooooo smooth, and then out the blue she vibrates until i unload the blades by touching down, and then I take off and shes beautiful again.

Cheers gino, I have a brandspankers Jr ball tool, I should really have used it while building her up, but forgot about it, maybe even try a drop of lube on the each ball

I still have a feeling its a lead/lag blade problem though.

Ill look at my balls (hahahahaha!), and try tighten the blade grips and see if my vibration comes back (it doesnt do it every flight, so it may take some time to resolve)

Too anyone who is interested - HS56 Servo horns fit the elf hobby servos
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:15 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
LOL, looks like they cloned the HS-56s too.