HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:31 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
(Borat accent too) I tooo flew today, verry nice a tooo. I was wet myself frommm excitement. Also from thee rain.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:20 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
Justa like a number 2 prostitute in all kazakhastan I setup up nice and sexytime before I put my bath suit on and have play.

In reality - Bloody planes at work keep breaking and I havent had the chance to go scamper off and make up my ali gyro mount and pinch the digital calipers for setting up the head... Hopefully today. Friday will be fly day.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:20 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
Group photo of my helis. copterX is ready for mounting components, not my gyro mount , CP2 is still buggered after its idle up secksie fun time.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:28 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
The skids and gyro mount aren't OEM parts with the kit are they? Looks great.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:33 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
gyro mount was made at work this arvo out of 0.032" aircraft ali, still have to find a longer bolt for the lower aft hole. Skids are the copterX upgrade part. Wait till I finish my g4 style bent chicken skids for it
Old Sep 25, 2007, 04:57 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
I like conventional looking skids. I am not a fan of those claws.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:59 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Jacko It looks great. You could do what I did and invert the tail boom mount to get the flat gyro mount underneath - check out the thread called 'Gandalf's CopterX SE' for pictures - but you would still need different bolts. I guess that AL bracket solves the problem just as well.

Gino I think he was joking about the 'funky chicken claw skids'.

How does the balance look?

Ted
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:03 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Here's a video of my Monday flight:

Copter X RC Helicopter at Amoranto Sports Complex (8 min 16 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2007, 07:26 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
Nice flying man! I hope mine is as smooth as that. Whats flavour is the pretty purple motor?

"Giiiinnnnnoooooooo......ChhhhoppteerrrrrXXXX" Hahaha

Gandalf - yeh i was originally going to do your upside down trick, but figured my gyro was a bit fat too sit slightly fwd between the frames, so came up with the patented Jacko-Mount. My batteries seem to be quite heavy (and long), 2200Mah 25C's - apparently they are the brand spankers battery hobby model, longer but thinner than the older style - so i doubt ill have any trouble (I did a test balance before i started sticking stuff in) and she was spot on. Im going to have to lengthen my esc wire to receiver by 2cm (bastard, but the esc sits nicely there).

I just reassembled the head. Im pretty sure whoever did it at factory was good at his job (must be a different monkey than the one who built the rest of it!) as it was all loctited and the links were all spot on in terms of length.

Ive got the main gear in with the belt drive gear and can hear a slight click as i turn the main gear (sounds almost like a ratchet), is this normal? i think its the bearings for the tail gear. Ive probably got them slightly skewif
Last edited by jackosmeister; Sep 25, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:15 AM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Gino Awesome flying and also awesome video; too many of these heli videos show the heli as a black speck that jumps in and out of the frame, yours showed well framed and focussed heli all of the time. My flying is a bit more ragged than yours, I tend to do outrageously fast forward with -ve pitch rolls thrown in. Your video inspires me to try flying slow tail in circles all day on the simulator. I stick very bright yellow sheet on the top side of my horizontal stabilizer, it gives a very good visual clue as to the heli orientation, especially when you are side on at a distance, it can sometimes be very difficult to tell the difference between tilted towards you and tilted away from you (see picture).

Jacko wrt the noise you mention. There is some noise produced by the tail belt as it notches on the cogs but make sure the belt is not too tight, when they say light pressure to move 3/4 across, they mean light pressure. I also recommend that you oil the belt using silicone oil (model RC car shock oil is good) - non-petroleum based is what you need. Dip a screwdriver in the oil and dribble a little on the top edge of the belt as you spin the gears. You'll only need to do this once a month at the most; it makes for way less noise and stops the belt fraying at the edges.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
That is a stock CopterX 430L motor in the video. Very efficient and is all that I need for now. My pal took that video. Actually I was a bit cautious that day. There was some scaffolding in the middle and left end. Plus two tall flagpoles on the right LOL.

Oh, don't depend on colors for visibility. Learn to fly a black silhouette. Relying on colors will get you in trouble some day. I fly by memory based on last known good. Side ins are fine as long as I freeze the ailerons and keep her steady till the next turn. Notice that the heli turns black during stall turns. It also disappears with the trees. But as long as I remember what it was doing, I don't panic and wait until she shows up again. When I do get disoriented, I freeze the cyclic and observe movement. I induce small commands just to see how it reacts.
Last edited by Gino CP; Sep 25, 2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:50 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,500 Posts
Great video, Gino! I do agree that it's important to learn to fly a silhouette, but I also employ colors to help with orientation. I guess that makes me a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
Man, I envy you guys for having nice airfields.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,500 Posts
It is nice! That field is about 12 miles from my house, and belongs to the Austin Radio Control Association (www.austinrc.org). I've been flying there (off and on) for over 20 years.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Sep 25, 2007, 02:44 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino CP
That is a stock CopterX 430L motor in the video. Very efficient and is all that I need for now. My pal took that video. Actually I was a bit cautious that day. There was some scaffolding in the middle and left end. Plus two tall flagpoles on the right LOL.

Oh, don't depend on colors for visibility. Learn to fly a black silhouette. Relying on colors will get you in trouble some day. I fly by memory based on last known good. Side ins are fine as long as I freeze the ailerons and keep her steady till the next turn. Notice that the heli turns black during stall turns. It also disappears with the trees. But as long as I remember what it was doing, I don't panic and wait until she shows up again. When I do get disoriented, I freeze the cyclic and observe movement. I induce small commands just to see how it reacts.
I have had a crash where I was flying side in and the silhouette didn't tell me whether the blades were tilted towards me or away from me; that led me to put the bright stuff on the top of the stabilizer fin; if I can see bright color then heli is tilted towards me