SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2002, 10:33 AM
Pyromaniac; now on wings!
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
My Reincarnated FAST E-Streak: Maiden for New Power Sys. TOMMOROW MORNING!! FINALLY!!

Hey everyone (again, repetitively, etc.)
maybe that title sounds familiar? for those who don't have a clue, i am repowering my e-streak on a Mega 22/30/3, and Jeti 40-3P controller. i went through all the questions and possibilities and decided on that. i got all my orders except dymond rc screwed up and sent me one normal APC 9x6 instead of two APCe 9x6's. i'm still waiting for the two APCe's. i really hope they arrive today!!
i got everything else all setup, motor mounted, ESC in, battery working, throttle settings correct, etc.. All i need now is that APC prop!

a question for those of you with APCe props: do they have an 8mm prop hole or a 4.8mm prop hole?? i have a graupner precision spinner with a collet for an 8mm prop hole, and i'm not too excited about having to drill it out with my grandfather's wobbly drill press...

another question for all of u in general: i was sitting there checkng how the collet fits the shaft (just fine), and i noticed that my motor was pointed up a bit. when you push the 38mm spinner on all the way and it contacts the 38mm fiberglass nose area, it contacts at the top exactly and thee is maybe a milimeter or so gap at the bottom. i put this motor in with two screws, and i would like to avoid having to take it all out and make a tab for the top screw to go in. is this slighty upward angle alright? if not, what can i do about it? how about wedging a piece of wood under it inside the fuse? what do u think?
Crazy Mike
CrazyMike is offline Find More Posts by CrazyMike
Last edited by CrazyMike; Dec 01, 2002 at 04:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2002, 10:44 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
Thats the upthrust I was telling you about in the previous thread..... you would have to put in a 3rd screw at the top to keep the motor from hanging down in the back.........

David
Heli Slime is offline Find More Posts by Heli Slime
Old Nov 29, 2002, 03:22 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
yep i noticed. i thought that maybe the first few flights would be alright and then i would need to change it. any ideas for doing it without adding that third screw? if i really need it, it will delay me anotherweek or so to get the part (screw). any suggestions for a quick temporary fix? or even a satisfactory permanent alternative? UPS comes later this time of year, so i'm still waiting...

David,
i emailed you about that prop? did u get the email?

Crazy Mike
Old Nov 29, 2002, 03:45 PM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
You can fly it with the upthrust, but it will be trimmed wrong whenyou repait it. Also, if you have a heat gun you can take the motor out and get it real hot and flex the glass to point down a bit more. you will have to make the bottom of the motor mount go into the air vent.

What seems to happed in that the glass in that area breaks (there is just a little peice between the mount and the vent and mine always cracked). The motor would force the break out and then the back of the motor would hang down. I wish I had a picture of it to show everyone what I am talking about.

I flew mine with the upthrust. I never found a permanant fix, but I'm pretty sure that the screw would fix it(I never got around to it before I sold the plane).

David
Heli Slime is offline Find More Posts by Heli Slime
Old Nov 29, 2002, 10:52 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
i think i will just fly it like this, with the upthrust. props didn't come today. hopefully sometime early next week. i always have a nice 2 hours to fly in the morning before school (if i do my work the night before) because my lazy school adiministrators decided to make school start at 9 instead of 7:30. not that that's a bad thing... if they come during the week, i will fly it the morning after. we'll see...

Crazy Mike
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:46 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
do you guys think dymond might consider shipping two props and an instruction sheet by normal mail ('fly like an eagle' mail)? if so, those props might come today. i hope...
Old Dec 01, 2002, 12:51 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
HOORAY!!! i was right, they did ship it by mail! i didn't get it till morning though because i get my mail at my mom's office and she didn't go back last night after we went to my brother's in Reading. anyway, i reamed the prop, fit the adapter, balanced it, and put it on the plane. i then did a succesful range test with and without motor running (wow that BL sounds cool!), and then got the plane balanced. it was easily balanced by moving the battery back and forth, and it actually came out with the back end the battery in the same place as with the older, stock batteries. just holding it while my dad works the trottle was enough to tell me that "this thing is gonna fly like a bat outta h*ll!". i will probably do first flight tommorow morning. i only have one battery so one flight per day will probably be it for a while. (after about 7:30am the wind picks up too much). or maybe i will find it handles the wind well. we'll see. here are two pics all put together and on the balancer.

#1:
Old Dec 01, 2002, 12:52 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
#2:
Old Dec 01, 2002, 12:52 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
Crazy Mike
Old Dec 01, 2002, 04:45 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Mike,

Everything looks great! Best of luck on your "first" flight--enjoy that brushless power. Don't forget to err on the side of having the CG a little forward and to slow it down for landing so you don't break a prop. The wind is your friend with the Estreak--helps on launch and landing and the airplane cuts through the wind nicely. Let us know how she flies!

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Dec 01, 2002, 04:48 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
i certainly will
Old Dec 01, 2002, 04:51 PM
Milford, NJ
Joined Oct 2002
215 Posts
maybe i could get some in flight photos, courtesy of my dad, probably. for most or atleast the beginning of my first flight, i need to practice getting it to slow down. i had an awful hard time with that on my last one
Old Dec 01, 2002, 07:36 PM