SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
Help!
Cruise ship models

I am in the process of building a cruise ship model for RC. I haven't built any kind of model for years. The model is 55" long and all dimensions were taken off a 2' drawing that was blown up from an 8.5" x 11" sheet. It is of a Voyageur class cruise ship owned by Royal Caribbean I have nearly completed the hull and most of it looks good. I want to keep moving foward but I feel like I am trying to reinvent the wheel. I would have to figure out by trial and error propulsion, stearage, finishes, buoyency, RC, paint and so on. I though that purchasing a model kit would produce a quicker time to the water as well as guide me with my current project. The question is does anyone know where to buy a decent model of a cruise ship with all the nesesary finishes? I have read all the posts on someone looking for a decent model boat but most of these don't have any cruise ships at all. I did find one with a M/S Kong Harald but it was over $2000.00 If anyone knows of any manufacturers with cruise ships I would greatly appreciate the info.
Thanks,
Elvisontour
elvisontour is offline Find More Posts by elvisontour
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,100 Posts
Welcome to the lonely world of cruise ship R/C boating.

Sad to say, passenger ships have been TOTALLY ignored as a kit subject since the first R/C boat took to the water (unless you're happy with yet another TITANIC!).

The only cruise ships I have ever seen are built by resourceful scratch builders, who often have to make almost EVERYTHING by hand.

I took to building my cruise ships out of corrugated cardboard, covering them with fiberglass and painting them. It yields pretty decent results, especially when you consider the time it takes me to build one of mine. My Carnival ECSTASY was built in a little over a month (and I have a full-time job and a wife!).

I won't bother to speculate why we can have 10 dozen different tugboat kits and a dozen more Ready To Run plastic toy tugs, but we can't have one decent cruise ship kit. Just be glad I got the Ecstasy.

Barrett
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
Thanks Greenseaships,

Your the reason I found this site in the first place. I saw your video on youtube and from there I found your blog. I actually email you through you blog yesterday. I still have about a thousand questions for you but if you were to answer all of them you probably wouldn't have time to build and run your fleet. I think you ships are amazing and when I read you built one of them in two weeks I almost cried. Although I didn't do much throughout the summer I have been working on this for almost a year. If your willing to share your knowledge I would like to email you with a few quesions.

Thanks,

Elvisontour
elvisontour is offline Find More Posts by elvisontour
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:40 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,100 Posts
Nice to meet ya! I'd be happy to answer any questions you still have, but first, I recommend you read the rundown on my Queen Mary construction. That will cover the fundamentals and allow you to refine your questions. You can find the thread here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531343

It's an inside look at how I built an 8.5 foot ocean liner r/c out of cardboard. Detailed pics and all that. Enjoy and talk again soon!

Barrett
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,428 Posts
They aren't totally ignored....
http://www.steinhagen-modelltechnik.de/index.htm

Just expensive...

Ask questions here as you get to each step, and you will find all the help you need.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:21 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,671 Posts
The only cruise ship kit that i have seen offered is by GRAUPNER and is available at Harbor Models.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
777 Posts
Interesting site there - just the translation is a bit tough. Some interesting models.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:11 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
there is also the henseatic by Robbe, running at $2000 by the time you have finished, ive not built one yet, and if I had the chance, I probably would, she looks a nice boat
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:56 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,100 Posts
Dude, if I were retired, I would make nothing but fiberglass cruiseship hulls and sell them at half the price!

Barrett
Old Sep 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,712 Posts
Both Robbe and Billing Boats offer 1:100 modern cruise ships, but yes, they'll set you back a bit. And Graupner has a RTR merchantman, the Cap San Diego, which carried passengers.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:55 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,618 Posts
You can always look in this direction Modelshipmaster. These are wooden display models that can be ordered for RC conversion or RTR. Again, like the others already mentioned, bring your wallet.

One has to wonder what they mean by "We will build RC models with the propulsion method(s) of the real boat. Sorry no exception as we only go for authenticity." I'd love to see the going price for their 60" Mauretania with coal fired boilers & steam turbines! It must be hard finding 1/144 scale stokers!
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Last edited by herrmill; Sep 24, 2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Modelshipmaster has some really high quality stuff. Wow!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot