HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:36 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Discussion
click click gone but Apache 4-ch spins like mad

Hi folks,
when my Apache lifts off it spins like mad. What adjustment should I make to stop this. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2007, 02:47 PM
in the middle, somewhere...
Joined Jun 2007
199 Posts
which direction.

It could be a slow or bad motor, slipping drive gear, bad or mis-tuned gyro, or a bindng driveshaft.

Are the blades starting up and spinning at a similar speed? I'll bet one rotor is spinning MUCH faster than the other.
CanardianFan is offline Find More Posts by CanardianFan
Old Sep 21, 2007, 02:52 PM
W. Sussex U.K.
Joined Sep 2007
717 Posts
Hmmm! I had to replace a motor and the 4in1 that caught fire!
Both motors appear to be same speed, no binding and it spins anti-clockwise.
During dismantling I disconnected the control arm from the servos. I'm having trouble re-connecting the control arm to the servos. Yes, I know, I shouldn't have undone them, but well I did? Can you offer any help?
Cheers
turnbui is offline Find More Posts by turnbui
Last edited by turnbui; Sep 21, 2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:27 PM
in the middle, somewhere...
Joined Jun 2007
199 Posts
The anti-clockwise spinning....

There may be adjustments on your new 4-in-1, turn the proportional adjustment, and then plug it back in and try it again.

slower anti-clockwise means you need more adjustment,
faster anti-clockwise meands you need to adjust the other direction.
Clockwise spinning means you adjusted a bit too far, dial it back just a bit.

Don't adjust more than 1/6 to 1/4th of a turn on the ajustment screws at a time, until you get it right on.

As for the control arm... sometimes those are hard to get back in place.

That depends on how the swashplate works on your Apache. If it is like the Lama and Blade CX-series, then the instructions are below. If it is a sliding swashplate, like some of the walkera coaxials, then the instructions might differ a bit, and you may want to check and see if your manual has any info, if you haven't already.

Your servo probably has a screw where the arm attaches to the servo "box". Carefully un-do that screw and set it aside where it won't be lost. Then pull the arm off of the servo.

With the arm off of the servo, you can thread the control link to the servo arm, from the back (the side with the raised part that goes onto the servo shaft.

You should be able to thread the first bit through, and bend it the shaft to sit on it's elbow in the servo arm.

Now, power up your TX and helicopter, but make sure not to spin it up. Center the sticks, and leave the throttle off. You just want to arm the 4-in-1, so that it will center the servos. You can even un-plug the motor leads if you want to be very sure that the helicopter won't spin up while you are working on it.

With the servos centered, put the servo arm back on the servo, as close to horizontal as possible, and re-insert and tighten the attachment screw.

Then push the ball link back onto the swashplate.

---------

If you have a sliding swashplate, the swashplate arms probably connect directly to the servo outputs. Centering the servos by powering up the 4-in-1 still might help you, but most of the rest of the above instructions might not apply.
CanardianFan is offline Find More Posts by CanardianFan
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:45 PM
Old enough to know better
North West, UK
Joined Sep 2007
448 Posts
Hi turnbui,
I know this is probably a little late, but my apache did the spin thing and would not lift off.
I replaced both motors at the same time and it cured it.

Was advised to not to replace only 1.

Sorry this is late and you now have another issue.

Regards,
drewpyfz6
drewpyfz6 is offline Find More Posts by drewpyfz6