SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2007, 06:10 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler_Dude
Well seems to be no shortage of Slow Sticks. I went to two more LHS today. Again no GWS planes other than Slow Sticks. I guess I don't understand how nearly all the hobby stores have Slow Sticks yet no other GWS Planes. I am beginning to wonder if this is just a marketing strategy. If Slow Sticks are so plentiful and easy to get then why not the rest of the GWS Fleet? Mr. Lin are you phasing out certain models or is this just a bigger issue?

Slow Stick kits are inexpensive at 28.00 dollars for a plane w/motor Most Hobby Shops will stock those they don't have to spend alot to stock alot.

end users lovem cause they are so very versatile, (look at all the things Boomerace has done with them)

because of these two benefits the Slow stick is definately what one would call a "best Seller" therefore more in the shops.

MY LHS is just about out of anything GWS because the Distrubutors will not ship C.O.D. like Horizon did, Archie just won't pay for an item until it arrives at his door undamaged.

I go to another LHS and all I get " I can order it for you" ....
well hell I can do that myself too!!! and it will be mailed right to my door...
"well you won't pay shippping if I order it" ...
no I just have to drive all the way to your shop, that costs me an hour of time and the gas.....no thank you..shipping charge is cheaper then coming here a second time.

1 year ago Archies had 6 of every plane GWS made on his shelves...now he can't get them at all.
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:12 PM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
We can all second guess GWS but I'm pretty sure Mr Lin knows what he's doing even if we aren't happy.

There's seems to be a few new planes coming so that good.
How many more warbirds are we REALLY going to buy?

Discounting my 1st sentence:
My uneducated opinion is that the LHSs are selling products that have more of a mark up on them.
Online retailers are selling their own planes, most likely for the same reason.

GWS should follow and sell direct to us. If the LHSs, and online retailers, want to buy in bulk then give them a discount.
Since there's no minimum order for distributors now(?) why not just sell ME a NPS Spitfire, 4 Naro servos, a GWESC25A and a GWEPS002BS directly?
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:26 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2007
1,207 Posts
It's not just the USA honestly, Australia is the same. I'm tempted to import them myself through my r/c business.
Mark Harris is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harris
Old Sep 23, 2007, 12:50 AM
Registered VOICE
R, W, and B
Joined Sep 2007
197 Posts
A RTF/ARF kit does not have to 'suck'.
I am sure GWS can make decent ARF/RTF kits.

As for GWS price incease, it started just recently. It will trickle up pretty soon.
However, if you stick to buying powered combo kits, then the incease is not felt.
Also, if LHS is selling cheaper than MSRP, then most likely it has overstock or is running a sale.

GWS officially announced price increase on new kits and brushless motors here on RCG.
rationalV is offline Find More Posts by rationalV
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:18 AM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Hey, they can increase their kits by 500 bucks and it wont matter a bit if the stinking planes are not in stock.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:33 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris
It's not just the USA honestly, Australia is the same. I'm tempted to import them myself through my r/c business.
You're welcome to be one of GWS dealers. Would you contact may1011@gws.com.tw .

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:44 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ
GWS should follow and sell direct to us. If the LHSs, and online retailers, want to buy in bulk then give them a discount.
Since there's no minimum order for distributors now(?) why not just sell ME a NPS Spitfire, 4 Naro servos, a GWESC25A and a GWEPS002BS directly?
Yes, GWS give them enoung discounts. And you could follow Lonely Birds program buying these in MSRP from GWS HQ but you have to pay more $$$ on shipping.

Chen
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:38 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryQ
We can all second guess GWS but I'm pretty sure Mr Lin knows what he's doing even if we aren't happy.
Actually I don't think so - I think Mr. Lin (with all respect) has made changes in distribution that will be fatal if not changed.

their change in distributorship shows they may be going down a slippery slope. At first I thought it was just the guys at my LHS. But when I see over half of their equipment out of stock at Tower Hobbies (and they certainly buy in volumes that makes GWS happy) you KNOW something is up.

It is a distribution issue and it has my my LHS say they likely will drop them from their sales line. They used to stock EVERY model type from GWS and we bought them. They even got in the NPS versions when we asked.

Then they changed distribution methods. Been downhill since then.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2007, 08:56 PM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
197 Posts
Lhs

We have a very small shop in Gunnison, CO. Most of our business is mail order do to distances one must travel high in the mountains ( up to 2 hours travel one way to a hobby shop), so we have gone to the internet to produce additional revenue to support our area flyers and the hobby of r/c airplanes.

I have had no problems with the distirbution of products from the GWS warehouse in California, in fact Craig is great to work with and does support my effort.

I am requesting constructive input from my fellow flyers, we will stock the most current GWS products, will order any GWS item requested, shipping is reasonable; receive many hits but very little purchasing. We built each kit we sell in stock form per GWS instructions with the kits and fly them at 8,000 ft. What should we do to provide the products you need so we can stay in business. www.hicountryhobbies.com
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2007, 09:06 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,158 Posts
mntflyer - for starters, how about fixing your website? None of the links do what they say they do. Try ordering from yourself. I couldn't even get to the list of airplanes. Tried Firefox and IE6 from home, IE7 from work.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Oct 06, 2007, 09:27 AM
Rocky Mountain High
Colorado
Joined Nov 2006
197 Posts
Thank you for your input, new at this internet thing. Will ge some help and correct links.
mtnflyer44 is offline Find More Posts by mtnflyer44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:31 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
I am feeling the pain here as well...my LHS is also having a hard time getting kits...though I did get the F-15 pretty quick...and he saved me one since he only got 2...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
38 Posts
Well I have given up on trying to find any GWS planes locally. I ended up going back to building balsa planes for now.

I stopped in to the LHS today one more time to see what they had. He had 2 SG Corsair kits and one Slow Stick. He said he had just gotten them in. He told me he had a big order in for a bunch of the different models and he gets the few Corsairs and Slow Stick. He told me his orders have been backordered since March- are you kidding me? How does GWS expect to stay in business much longer if there is no product to buy.
Another example of lack of supply. A guy I work with is just getting in to flying so he bought a used E-Starter form someone. He crshed it and broke hi motor shaft and needed a replacement. A year ago there was 3 hobby stores in town you could get a new shaft for it. Now none no longer carry replacement parts. The closest store now that carries any replacement parts is 70 miles. With the price of gas it is now a waste of time even thinking of going to the store. Now I guess I will buy everything online.

So I will no longer waste time searhing for GWS planes. I am going back to balsa kits.
Sprinkler_Dude is offline Find More Posts by Sprinkler_Dude
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
95 Posts
I agree that there is problem with the distribution chain. As mentioned before even big sites like towerhobbies and unitedhobbies are having a hard time keeping GWS parts and planes in stock. UH said it is taking 60 days for GWS orders to arrive. I've always enjoyed the quality and affordability that GWS offers, but now that parts and planes are hard to come by, I wonder what will come next. I've been trying to get some retracts for my zero and can't find them anyplace were shipping is a rip off or they are overpriced. I have asked my hobby shop and they said it would be cheaper to order on-line because they were out of stock too. It's a $10 part that I will end up paying $17 for and even though $7 doesn't sound like much, it adds up quick. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Garrison
GTace is offline Find More Posts by GTace
Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:58 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,690 Posts
Garrison,

Thank you. I'm afraid that "Unitedhobbies" might Not be the title which the vendor applied for dealing with GWS HQ, as I've not been so told about any issue of UH at GWS HQ internally. But I've been reported that the productions of some items have been postponed owing to supply problem of materials. Probably the order from the vendor who has something to do with UH was this kind, but the vendor could ask GWS for shipping his order partially and earlier, well, probably saying the issue is easier.

Would you contact GWS USA or www.caliberhobby.com for what you need if you are in USA or Canada. I've been told that caliberhobby or www.epyaya.com might stock more parts.

Chen