SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:22 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Limited Motor run computer program

I have written a PDA program that many of you may find helpful for practicing limited motor run timed flights.

The program can be downloaded here:

timer.zip

Here is the contents of the readme file included with the program:

This is a freeware program to help you practice your timed motor run glider flights. The idea behind this program is to let you practice your precision timed flights without bugging your buddies to stand next to you with a stopwatch.

This program uses voice prompts to let you know where you should be in your flight. When you hit the start button, the program will audibly count from 10 down to the point where you should start your motor and launch the glider. From this point it will let you know when you should shut off your motor by announcing 60, 30, 20, 10 and count down from 10 and finally announce motor shutdown.

It will then announce the flight time remaining in your flight every 30 seconds and give you a warning at 2 minutes to prepare for your landing. It will finally count down the last 20 seconds and announce your landing time.

This program is not designed to replace the human timer for competitions, however it should be able to give you all the audible cues needed to help you practice for competition.

This program should be compatible with any pocket pc including the HP jornada 54x, Casio E-10x, Compaq IPAQ and any other later model. It might also be compatible with the hand held PC formats, but I have not tested it with them.

Note that you may have to disable the automatic shutdown features on your PDA to prevent the PDA from turning itself off prematurely for longer flights. This should be located in the power section of the control panel.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact downeym@bellsouth.net
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2002, 11:26 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
here is a sample of the audio prompts you hear from the program during the flight. Once you hit the start button, you dont have to look at the screen again because all the cues are audible.

The sample can be downloaded here
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:00 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Its been a while since I wrote this program but I still find it very handy and use it to help practice LMR at the field. I just wanted to bump this thread in case anyone else is interested....
Old Aug 01, 2004, 06:33 AM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Very useful. We have used this timer several times at the field. Every once in a while I get really close to the time mark and landing spot.
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Aug 02, 2004, 09:12 AM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
downeym

Any chance you will convert this to a PalmPilot format? I would love to have it.

Leon
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
Old Aug 03, 2004, 03:37 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
sorry... it would be way too hard to convert it and I wouldnt have a way to test it...
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:27 PM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Thanks anyway...

Guess I will have to live with my Talking Timer. Too bad my laptop isn't smaller!

Leon
Old Aug 03, 2004, 05:23 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Ditto. .. but I'm fairly certain my Palm can't talk, no matter what software you put on it..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 03, 2004, 06:40 PM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
Hi Andy

I can record a message on the "recorder" function of my Palm T3 with countdowns and warnings but it isn't any better than a Talking Timer. No visual display either but then I doubt I would have time to look at it when I am flying. The Palm is also heavier than the timer.

Leon
Old Apr 19, 2005, 05:17 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
bump... sorry.. just thought someone might find this useful...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 04:26 PM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I just got a Dell Axim and I was going to look for this thread to download your file. Thanks for saving me the search time. See you at SEFF on Thursday or Friday. I'll have your room key. --JS
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan