SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Discussion
Ceres F3B/F3F?

Hi. Ive read good things about the Ceres. How is the quality on it compared to say the Trinity(same mfg?). How does it do at heavier wing loadings? Is there room to ballast it up to MOM weight
with tungsten?
thanks,
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:28 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Order one Walter--you'll love it! Quality is in the Trinity range and better from the ones I've seen. I think you'd have to use Tungsten to get to MOM weight-- but that's true with MOST of the new Euro toys. The F3F Ceres is a strong build-- and it likes to fly loaded. But I don't have one yet--but you can see they have been flying well and placing well around the world. Rey in SoCal just built one so we'll see what he thinks soon.
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:58 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
The Ceres is looking Bitchen. I want one. I have one on order with custom colors. They are great F3F planes and great F3b planes. The Ceres will kick your Victors but (IMO).

I have had a really hard time waiting a few extra weeks for my custom colors rather than buying one in stock. I can't wait.

For all of you guys that have one, get it built and let me fly it some
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:31 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,434 Posts
Planning on building mine (F3B layup) out in the next few weeks. Overall construction quality is outstanding - everything fits without forcing or slop. The one gripe I have is that the canopy could be a closer fit around the edges...the mold radius is just slightly off from the fuse...but I obsess over the slightest things and we're only talking a millimeter or so anyways.

The fuse is nice and slim, yet JR 3421 servos will fit nicely, as will a 2/3A battery pack. The wings are a bit tighter and servo choices are limited (in fact, the ship comes with laser-cut mounts for a specific Futaba servo, using a very trick external third ball bearing). Holding the plane feels like grasping a javelin or small missile. Can't wait to get it flying.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Last edited by tewatson; Sep 20, 2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added text
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:03 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
Hey Tom,

Could you say a bit more about the ballast setup e.g. easy to add/remove ? Is it in the wing or fuse? Slugs or Rod ?

Thanks,
Nick
nickk is offline Find More Posts by nickk
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:43 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,434 Posts
Square slugs in the wing. Hafta pull the wings off to get at it.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:21 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,572 Posts
I hope to start on my F3F layup CERES tomorrow.
I'll post pics, or maybe do a seperate build thread.
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:37 PM
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Square slugs in wing? Perfect! I have 30-40lbs of tungsten plate I can possibly cut down/laminate together to come up w/approx slug size. Sorry to bother you Tom, but do you have an approx size of the square slugs? Are you guys going to bring the Ceres to the NBDistance event? Hopefully yes. Yes maybe the Ceres will kick the Victors butt, who knows. Ive only got around a dozen flights total on the Victor w/3-4 of them being off a TD winch so I am not qualified to make a call on the Victor. I know it launches high/stable and thermals well but thats about it. I think Jofo has had some success in F3f w/Victor though, Ive flown it on the slope but in a mostly unballasted condition, not sure how it goes. Anyway I surely am looking forward to taking a look at the Ceres if its at the NBD event.
thanks,
Walter
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:06 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Ceres F3F/B

Howdy;

The Ceres is a very sweet plane. At the cost, it out does planes that are currently costing 300-700 more. The finish quality is A, but not A+, but close!

But, there are a couple of important things to consider here....
Can you get one? If not, how long? (for real, not "wish" models) "wish I had one" Lots of these around, but you can't fly them!
What will the wait for parts be if needed? How many models and parts will the dealer be stocking, and what is the cost of these parts?

Re: Ballast... 1300gm, by means of 10 slugs in the wing 5per side.. These 130gm brass slugs come with the model. And if you slide the wing half out 2" or so, it is not necessary to remove the wing half from joiner, only tilt the model, ballast changes are fast!

The kit comes with servo frames, including a genius 3 pt ball bearing system for the Futaba 3150's. Wiring Harness, control rods, clevis' and 2pc plug in Vtail with control horns done at the factory. One of the finest kits I have seen, hands down!

The model proved itself in F3B in Europe this year, with wins, and top placing many times. My friend Espen got a 1st with it last weekend at the Welsh, and I am sure, there will be many more to come.

CERES ROCKS!

Happy Landings!
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Bro; Sep 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Add Ceres Wallpaper
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:22 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
990 Posts
hi all !

What is the difference between the F3B layup and the F3F layup ?

Bye,

Pierre
www.planet-soaring.com
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Old Sep 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Ceres F3F/B

Hello Pierre;

The difference is about 100gm per wing half.. 200 total...

Regards,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:06 AM
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Is the spar the same? Will the F3B version handle ISR weights/wing loadings? Provided of course it is possible to get that plane that heavy.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:23 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Why would you want an F3B Layup for MOM racing?
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
F3b layups will always handle MOM weights. The F3b launch is much harder on the wing spar and joiner system than anything you can do to it on the slope.

The difference between the F3b layup and F3F (generalizing for most planes) is the weight traded for durability.

Tim, you notice that Walter flies off of a winch most of the time, the F3b lay-up would be way better there. But for MoM racing, the durability for landing at 10-11lbs is desirable.

If I had more Dough, I would have 3 ceres. 2 F3b and 1 F3F for those slopes with poor landing conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to fly a F3b lay-up at Davenport or Grass Mt since they have very easy and forgiving landing areas.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glderguy
Square slugs in wing? Perfect! I have 30-40lbs of tungsten plate I can possibly cut down/laminate together to come up w/approx slug size. Sorry to bother you Tom, but do you have an approx size of the square slugs? Are you guys going to bring the Ceres to the NBDistance event? Hopefully yes. Yes maybe the Ceres will kick the Victors butt, who knows. Ive only got around a dozen flights total on the Victor w/3-4 of them being off a TD winch so I am not qualified to make a call on the Victor. I know it launches high/stable and thermals well but thats about it. I think Jofo has had some success in F3f w/Victor though, Ive flown it on the slope but in a mostly unballasted condition, not sure how it goes. Anyway I surely am looking forward to taking a look at the Ceres if its at the NBD event.
thanks,
Walter
The Victor is pretty fast, three or four 1000pt rounds over a couple comps at Thorton against the best in the US proves it. I'd bet the Ceres is considerably more nimble than the Victor. I own a Tool and it looks very similar to the Ceres, I'm betting the two can compete head to head, the Tool is a nimble plane as well. The Tool is definitely faster in the turns than the Victor on an F3F course, but if I fly them both well the difference is minimal. The line speed of the Victor is deceptively good, it looks slower but it is a much bigger plane. In my opinion it comes down to skills in the end; flying style, ballast choice, trimming. Mainly it takes time to get the most out of a plane. I've been flying my Victor for about six months and I'm just now discovering how to make it go fast in varying conditions with proper ballast and trim adjustment. At first I just loaded it up to 130oz, in even light conditions, to make it go fast. People were a little shocked to see me throw it out at 130oz in 10mph conditions. Now I know how to ballast it to get the most out of light air, big air, quartering conditions, and how to dial reflex for same. It seems to me that the latest creations share design elements and philosophy; minimize frontal area, thinner higher aspect ratio wings, clean aerodynamically, strong, all with thoughtfully conceived airfoils for the task at hand.

The best part of this thread is the fact that we get to fly these planes and that we can get them in the US...thanks to guys like Tom, Bob, and Skip.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1