HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Rave
Eflight S.E.5a Slow Flyer 250 ARF !!

Well fellas, looks like Jenny will have a brother soon. Geez I dont know if I can wait, but I spose we have to.
Jumped out of my chair as I saw it in the listing, and thought for a momment is was just another version of the Jenny. Then I looked closer.........Ooooo I said,...........Ahhhhhh!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL1925

Whadda'ya's think eh?
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:47 AM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
For those who have or had the Jenny we listened and tried to upgrade the SE5a to take care of some of the small issue people had. I never thought anyone would really fly the Jenny outdoors too much and we did all of our testing indoors. I never broke a rudder horn off, and my wheels never broke out.

So here are the upgrades we did to improve the model.
1) A piece of clear plastic has been installed on the base of the rudder and in the center of the elevator to strengthen the control horn locations.
2) Wheels are bushed and more scale like in appearance.
3) A small carbon rod has been installed int eh horizontal stab on the bottom to ensure it doesn't curl in varying temperature.
4) Servo pockets are the correct size (still don't know how that one went through on the Jenny).
5) Wood wing struts fit the wing airfoil much better than the Jenny. This makes installing the wings without any warps a bit easier.

The SE5a flies just a wee bit faster than the Jenny, only noticable if you fly them together. The SE5a seems to turn a bit better because of the natural dihedral of the platform.They are sweet flying birds I have to say. I think you guys will like it.

John Redman
E-Flite Product Developer
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Wow, thank you John! I appreciate your "From the horse's mouth" input.

Boy, im really excited now. These improvements confirm my covicton that Eflight is moving in all the right directions for our great hobby.

Yes, I did replace my Jenny's wheels with those of the mini ultra stick after the first flight, as the axle cut a about a 1/8th slot into the plastic on it's first landing on to some grass.

Thanks so much!!
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,411 Posts
John,

Thanks for the information, it looks great and a nice touch that it has the gun on the top wing. E-flite has a lot of great planes coming out soon. I will need a bigger Christmas tree to fit them all under it.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,800 Posts
Sweet! Sweet!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,113 Posts
Arrrgggghhh !

I was on the fence trying to decide between a GWS Pico Moth & the the E-Flite Jenny.

Now I really want this instead but its not out till Dec !!!!

Mr Redman -
Whats the approx size of the battery location?
With regard to visibility, what colour is the underside (green fuse, white wings & tail)?

Rob
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:15 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Battery compartment is 2-1/8" wide and 1-3/4" long. Battery velcros to the bottom of the motor box.

Fuse is green on the bottom.
Wings and stabs are white on the bottom, easily painted if you choose. We have not been able to sourcea color of paint to simulate the correct color of natural fabric yet, so that is why we have not painted the botto of the wings and stabs.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Here's a nice site I found with a good article on the SE 5a, and I noticed that it unlike the Jenny(Fullscale that is) has quite a bit of dihedral.
So it looks like the dihedral on the model will be pretty close to the real one, cool!

http://www.acepilots.com/wwi/se5a.html
Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:13 PM
Crash tester
Texas
Joined Sep 2006
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
For those who have or had the Jenny we listened and tried to upgrade the SE5a to take care of some of the small issue people had. I never thought anyone would really fly the Jenny outdoors too much and we did all of our testing indoors. I never broke a rudder horn off, and my wheels never broke out.

So here are the upgrades we did to improve the model.
1) A piece of clear plastic has been installed on the base of the rudder and in the center of the elevator to strengthen the control horn locations.
2) Wheels are bushed and more scale like in appearance.
3) A small carbon rod has been installed int eh horizontal stab on the bottom to ensure it doesn't curl in varying temperature.
4) Servo pockets are the correct size (still don't know how that one went through on the Jenny).
5) Wood wing struts fit the wing airfoil much better than the Jenny. This makes installing the wings without any warps a bit easier.

The SE5a flies just a wee bit faster than the Jenny, only noticable if you fly them together. The SE5a seems to turn a bit better because of the natural dihedral of the platform.They are sweet flying birds I have to say. I think you guys will like it.

John Redman
E-Flite Product Developer
This looks Like a great plane, and its going under My Tree.

But is there any chance You might consider leaving the decals off?
I know Many of the Jenny fans, as well as its rival, the Pico Moth can't keep from adding detail to the planes. One of the things that makes them so much fun, is the amount of personalization that can be added.

I know in the case of my E-Flite P47 it damaged the decal and the foam under neith when I removed them to paint the tail. A minor anoyance, but it ment a few hours to smooth out the foam, and a need to purchase new decals to replace the old, for a plane I hadn't even flown yet.
Drunkskunk is offline Find More Posts by Drunkskunk