that's right...
m898 is offline Find More Posts by m898
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,592 Posts
Cooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Finally finished the wings & elevators today. Will attempt fibreglassing them tomorrow.
Old Oct 02, 2007, 06:11 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Neumotor and Hacker ESC ?

The Neumotor 1521/1.5Y does appear to run properly when I tested it with a Hacker Master ESC.

Unclear whether this is a fault with the motor or the ESC.

The Hacker ESC timing and frequency is adjustable but changing the timing does not seem to make a positive difference.

I've tried 0deg, 4deg, 5 deg and 18deg and the motor still runs 'rough'.
Old Oct 02, 2007, 06:18 AM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,370 Posts
I suppose you mean it does NOT run properly?

#1 thing that can cause this assuming both the motor and / or ESC are not defective is a bad solder joint on one of the three motor wires. Make sure you use an iron rather than a gun, at least 40 watts. Heat the wires (both sides) then apply solder to the wire or connector body not the blade of the iron. Resulting solder joint should be smooth and shiny not dull and grainy.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Oct 02, 2007, 06:25 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Thanks Chris for the correction

I checked the solder joints and they are smooth and shiny.

I dont understand why Neumotors don't have a guide for timing for their motors
Old Oct 02, 2007, 07:09 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m898
Thanks Chris for the correction

I checked the solder joints and they are smooth and shiny.

I dont understand why Neumotors don't have a guide for timing for their motors
I got a data sheet with mine. The Y wind on the motor (which is 4 pole) means that you should set it up as for two pole 0-15 degrees, 10 degrees should do it.
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 07:21 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
I got a data sheet with mine. The Y wind on the motor (which is 4 pole) means that you should set it up as for two pole 0-15 degrees, 10 degrees should do it.
Thanks Whistling Watts - I'll give it a try !
Old Oct 02, 2007, 12:55 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
I dont htink its timing I think its switching you need to look at. Timing wont do anything but change the load. We run Nue all over the map timing wise but switching will change a lot. Start low and then work it up with lowest timing setting. I always start on low timing then work it up for safety. I have never used that ESc so dont know what switching setting are.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:21 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
It's been very slow progress on the F16 due to numerous setbacks in supply of equipment and testing.

I have shelved the 1521/1.5Y motor in favour of the 1527/1.5Y with 8mm shaft. I managed to get it to run without 'misfire' by increasing the timing to 15 deg - thanks Whistling Watts and Barry.

Yesterday I was in the middle of dynamically balancing the AP1200 with the 1527/1.5Y when the motor suddenly unwound from the front ! . Upon removing the front plate it was evident that it was not assembled with ANY threadlocker and I mean nil. See for yourself in the attached photo.

This is not the first case I have heard of this happening. I suppose Neumotor is 'under the pump' trying to get orders out but if they don't pick up on their quality control, further incidents like this will eventually lead to them having more time on their hands as customers go elsewhere.

I was very lucky the motor wasn't at full revs when this happened and better still that it was during the bench test but I was not impressed at all that day Wish Hacker made larger inrunners....

I send an email to Neumotors and their distributor in the US but heard nothing back from them .Fortunately my local distributor helped me out but I expected to hear from Neumotors aswell.

In the end I used Loctite 272 (High strength High Temp) to secure the front plate back on and continued with further balancing of the fan.

I'm running the AP1200 and 1527/1.5Y on 12S - very impressive. Will try 11S and 10S to 'tone' things down.

Batteries are FlightPower 6S 4900mAH EVO25. I bought them reluctantly because i couldn't source Kokams 4800mAH cells. I'm not expecting the FlightPowers to hold up in the long term - they were on special so in my opinion they are temporary and will do the job in getting some flights happening while i scour the planet for Kokams.

Speed controller is Kontronik 63V - very nice but need programming card to make some settings that I require permanent. The anti-spark really works !

The fibreglassing is half done and on hold until i get the fan perfectly balanced.

At this stage the Ready to Fly weight of the F16 is looking to be just under 6.0kgs.
Last edited by m898; Oct 12, 2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:50 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,592 Posts
Lehner makes some really nice big motors m898
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
Buckley wa
Joined Mar 2005
986 Posts
Looks great so far keep up the good work..
Sorry to hear about the problem with the motors i'm sure when the problems are workout
you will have a great flying aircraft..
mediq is offline Find More Posts by mediq
Old Oct 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
you will like those 4900 cells, they are lighter but every bit as good as the 5000 just 100 mah lower.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:23 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Did I just waste some money today?

Went to my favourite hobby shop today to pick up a motor i ordered and found out that the new Hacker Spin 170 Opto had just arrived. These have only been released in the last week or so.

I looked at it, thought about it, picked it back, placed it back in the box, picked it up again, placed it back one more and decied to leave, but it just kept calling me...so in the end I bought it.

I have always used Hacker Master series ESC and was considering this one and the Kontronik 63V. I like the Kontronik because it has the cooling fan and is smaller. I like the Hacker because i have the programming box and can adjust the timing 1 deg at a time aswell as other useful functions like record max temp reached in flight. The good thing now is that I can run tests with both ESCs.

The Hacker ESC is pretty big, heat sinks on both sides of the circuit board. Time will tell if its any good.

Here is a picture of the test bench, clamped to my dining table. The fan is 99.5% balanced. Many fustrating hours was spent trying to get rid of the slightest hint of vibration. Tomorrow I will spend more time on it - balancing and once thats done, will measure the amps drawn at full throttle.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:28 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
Lehner makes some really nice big motors m898
I hope to be able to test one of those one day.