HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:50 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
also try daniel himself, and I know ductedfans.com had the rotor's in stock, so maybe he has the fans by now too.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
Permanently Banned
San Diego, Ca
Joined Feb 2005
398 Posts
Hi,

Bruno, can you please post some pics of your lights and your gear? Also, maybe a brief tutorial on the lights? Thanks, mate!
YellowAircraft is offline Find More Posts by YellowAircraft
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:06 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Barry

I got my E-Turbax today . Kinda disappointed because the composite tail cone was missing and the shaft adapter internal hole was drilled too big resulting in slop that you simply can't eliminate no matter how careful you adjust the two grubs screws - my preference is collet type adapters rather than grub screw type.

The result was bad vibration (too begin with) to continuing vibration because of the shaft adapter still 'egging' even after several attempts to make it 'true'. In the end I put it back in the box.

The fan unit weighs ~ 350g for those who want to know. I asked this question but couldnt find the answer before I ordered one - now we all know.

The impeller had balancing weights attached but I noticed that a large chuck was cut out from the inside - which suggests was done to achieve balancing but not the approach I thought would be taken.

What would you suggest between a TF4000 and the DS94 ?

I'm still trying to locate a DS-75. No luck, even emailed COMP ARF and DuctedFans and no reply .
m898 is offline Find More Posts by m898
Last edited by m898; Sep 25, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Progress on the F16 overall has been slow.

Been making the wings and elevators.

Have installed and wired navigation lights on the intake and installed the nose gear door.

Painted the landing gear - used etching primer suitable for aluminium and final spray was with satin white enamel paint.

I placed an order with Shaun for the remaining parts yesterday.

I don't see much more progress happening until I've settled on a power system as this will determine how I do the internal ducting.

Does anyone know the pattern at which the tail lights on the F16 flash ? Been looking at videos (Iron Eagle) but hard to tell for sure. It seems to be a double flicker spaced 1 sec apart then a long pause and a double flicker again
Old Sep 25, 2007, 08:51 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m898
Barry

I got my E-Turbax today . Kinda disappointed because the composite tail cone was missing and the shaft adapter internal hole was drilled too big resulting in slop that you simply can't eliminate no matter how careful you adjust the two grubs screws - my preference is collet type adapters rather than grub screw type.

The result was bad vibration (too begin with) to continuing vibration because of the shaft adapter still 'egging' even after several attempts to make it 'true'. In the end I put it back in the box.

The fan unit weighs ~ 350g for those who want to know. I asked this question but couldnt find the answer before I ordered one - now we all know.

The impeller had balancing weights attached but I noticed that a large chuck was cut out from the inside - which suggests was done to achieve balancing but not the approach I thought would be taken.

What would you suggest between a TF4000 and the DS94 ?

I'm still trying to locate a DS-75. No luck, even emailed COMP ARF and DuctedFans and no reply .
What about the stumax fan,110mm. He should have a couple ready to go soon and they are very nice... Doug
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bateman
What about the stumax fan,110mm. He should have a couple ready to go soon and they are very nice... Doug
Hi Doug

I have been watching the Stumax fan for a while now. I dont think one will be available in the time period I am looking at. They look nice and have been eagerly awaiting a video of it.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Today I've ordered an AP1200 and 1521/1.5Y motor with 8mm shaft from AirPower. Spoke to Dirk personally (wish i still knew Mandarin but we managed to understand each other) and apparently the items will be sent tomorrow morning.

Can't wait to see how this goes.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
sorry I missed all that M! that sucks about the turbax, I really havnt heard anyone have a prob with one, but things happen I suppose. But on with the new right?

Barry
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:48 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,439 Posts
m898,

Sorry to hear of the vibration issues. Have you contacted the shop? We'll get it sorted out for you. We did recently discover that the motor shafts on the Neu motors are in fact not a true 5mm, but slightly less (shaft adapters were drilled to 5mm). We're in the process of fixing the problem and should be able to get a replacement shaft out to you along with a tailcone within a few days.

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:32 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
I wouldn't think that would be possible cause then there would be slop in the bearings on the motor too.

Barry
Old Sep 26, 2007, 02:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
NueMotor shaft is in between 4.95mm to 4.97mm.
If the shaft are exact 5mm. It will not go in the bearing and it might damage the bearing if press fit. So the shaft had to be - .03mm to .05mm to fit in the bearing.
I do had few of the 5mm shaft.
It also measaure 4.95mm to 4.97mm.
If the hole are drill with 5mm bid. It be end up at 5.05mm. That will had some slop for sure.
Use 4.95mm drill bid to do the 5mm hole.
Hope this help.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:07 PM
Permanently Banned
San Diego, Ca
Joined Feb 2005
398 Posts
JetMang,

When I order my E-Turbax setup, is it possible to have you guys assemble and test-run it to make sure all is OK before it goes out?
YellowAircraft is offline Find More Posts by YellowAircraft
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:25 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,439 Posts
Yeah, we can do a factory assembled unit. That's something we've actually been talking about offering. Factory assembled and run we've looked at a retail price of $850 for the whole thing. Send me a pm, we'll figure it out.

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Sep 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Thanks JetMang and Larry of JHI for helping out with my enquiry into the Turbax fan and adapter - well done. When the new adapter arrives I will let you know how things turn out.

Hi Everyone

Here are some pictures of the navigation lights on the F16. They can be made by carving out of coloured plastic and buffing with fine polish. Can be fiddly and time consuming to make and install but it's well worth it.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,424 Posts
m898 are you planning on some night flying, like you did with the TF 310
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini