HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2001, 08:10 AM
Atlanta GA
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
Park Flyer buyer info sheet, Lets create one.

Everyone is saying "Someone needs to do something". Maybe that someone should be us. We could create a sheet that could be given to hobby shops and the hobby shops could give one to anyone interested in park fliers.

One page so that the hobby shop could make copies easily. In big letters at the top "Welcome to RC". Place them at the counter or at the front door.

Whaddya think?

My main fear is that there is an element that would think shooting others down would be "cool". This { or any } info would educate them.

Ray Brooks
Club flyer
Park flyer
Backyard flyer
Ray Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Ray Brooks
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2001, 08:31 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Ata-Boy Ray, a man that is willing to do more then just run off at the mouth. I don't know if there is anyway to get a letter (Flier) a in the right hands but we can try.
There is some people here that are good writers, if we can get something started I'll post it on my web site. Once we get one looking good I'm sure others will post it for down loading.
Could work.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old May 29, 2001, 10:13 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You'd better have a list of models that every hobby store will want, and be able, to carry.
I tried this with electric trainers (larger models), and there was definate resistance from the local guys. They didn't stock the stuff, so they sure as heck weren't going to tell people that's what they need to be succesful (as opposed to the junk they actually carried).
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 29, 2001, 02:20 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
A key here could be getting the manufacturers to include such a sheet or pamphlet with every model not with just the little "toys," but even with the big kits. How much money is an extra piece of paper or two going to cost? And writing the text and/or designing the images shouldn't be too hard, unless lawyers want to become more involved in the future of our hobby.

It's already amazing what many manufacturers and not just in our area of interest will include in a package to absolve them from liability. Many even instruct what you could elude to as being the dumbest (or even most retarded) of all people "how to" do it i.e., "Remove model from paper holder and plastic wrapping..." as though someone might think it flies that way. Why not provide something to help operators FLY their models properly? A picture pamphlet is perfect for those who can't read, and it's great for young kids! Then, again, what about those people who are entering or are already in our hobby that you might suspect are legally blind!

Is there a way to motivate the AMA, or even a government agency, to lend assistance on this. And for those of you who don't like the AMA or so-called government "interference," I wish you a lot of luck on this new "Survivor" episode.

[This message has been edited by James Frolik (edited 05-29-2001).]
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old May 29, 2001, 09:44 PM
Atlanta GA
Joined Mar 2001
59 Posts
I think it will be more effective if a local guy goes into the LHS and talks to the owner and gets said owner to agree that something needs to be done. Local guy then agrees to supply a sheet for the LHS owner to check out and hopefully agree to hand out. Two of the "local" HS are carrying more and more E power stuff and would probably be more than happy to help out.

Lets get some ideas generated.

Points to cover:

Interference with other flyers on same channel.

Danger to bystanders and the possibility of lawsuits.

Danger to self due to unexpected/inadvertent motor start up.

AMA info.

Help !!!!!!!!!!! It is late and my brain is asleep. Come on guys, add to the list.

Ray

Ray Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Ray Brooks
Old May 29, 2001, 11:00 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
The manufacturers can put anything they wish in their kits. Getting people to read them and to pay attention to what is written is another case.
I work a few hours a week in a LHS. I have on many occasions advised new entries into the hobby to get in touch with a club in their area. I keep a list of all local(50 mile radius)clubs with contact numbers which I pass on to all newbies based on where they live. I have done this for over a year. I check with the clubs from time to time to see how many of my referrals actually do get in touch with the clubs. Only about 1 in 10 use this service. Makes me wonder where they all go.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM