HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
Heli Whore
Waunakee, WI
Joined Jun 2003
156 Posts
Discussion
What tools/support equipment should every heli pilot have?

I'm just compling a list of things. Things for setting up your heli, or repairing it, or even maintenance and support equipment... Could be for an electric OR a nitro heli.

-Pitch Gauge
-Blade balancer
-Swash leveling tool
-High-quality torx and hex head drivers
-Precision screwdrivers
-Digital or Dial calipers
-Needle-nose pliers of different sizes
-Soldering iron

What else?
fiveoboy01 is offline Find More Posts by fiveoboy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:12 PM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Feb 2007
301 Posts
Double sided tape, zip ties, a wall wart AC converter, the manual for the bird (go figure!) and the manual for the radio, locktite, extra lock-nuts for every bolt.... the list goes on
johnm1019 is offline Find More Posts by johnm1019
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:14 AM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
FIRE EXTINGUISHER! A fire extinguisher is a necessity, especially if you are flying electrics.
sj_sharks_fan is offline Find More Posts by sj_sharks_fan
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:22 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
You can get buy with very little these days.
A pair of pliers, phillips screw driver and some allen keys will pretty much do a build in a squeeze.

At the other end a full workshop is nice to have.

Your budget will dictate your tools. Personally i need a dremel , hex drivers, ball link pliers, needle nose pliers and a decent set of screw drivers as an absolute minimum.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:59 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
In addition to what has already been mentioned-

-LipoSack for charging/storing lipos or some other form of containment for fire spewing ignition in case it all goes wrong. It could save a life. (as applicable)

-Foam blade support for each heli. They relieve the blade grip of supporting the entire weight of the blade. This is a necessity for transportation of the heli to/from anywhere. The blades are the heli's wings and they need to be protected.

-Nut driver kit - they work better than a needle-nose pliers in most cases

-Rotory grinding tool with cutoff wheels and other grinding/cutting bits- the ubiquitous Dremel is as good as it gets and is not expensive- this opens the door to easily make modifications to various parts, cut screws to the length you need, etc.

- Panavise with wide-grip, bolted down to your workbench- this is one of the single best tools I have, and I nearly take it for granted. It has soft jaws, so it will not damage what it grips, yet still hold the item firmly. For most of the work you will do on a heli, it's VERY handy (and much safer) to have both hands available. The Panavise allows you to position anything at any angle for the ideal lighting angle and tool access.

Tap/Die kit - not required, but can be very helpful to restore/make threads (avoid the department store variety- they usually suck)

Infared thermometer - use it to see how hot your motor/esc/battery is or other hot spots with hard data as opposed to how it feels.

Optical tachometer - can be the plank variety - use it to measure headspeed, which is critical to the heli's performance.

Calipers- to make accurate length measurements.

Time

More time

A clock in your workshop to surprise you once in a while with how long you've been working on something. Get one with an alarm to remind you when to stop and go to bed.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Sep 19, 2007, 04:51 AM
Everyone crashes sometime
Orlando, FL and Washington D.C.
Joined May 2006
1,427 Posts
You will also need lots and lots of patience so you don't get in too much of a hurry and mess things up.

Carl
quickster47 is offline Find More Posts by quickster47
Old Sep 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
I've got a lot of tools, but I don't have a scale, and I need to get one!
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:21 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
A Watts Up or other device/wattmeter for measuring the electrical specifications of your power system is very useful.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Sep 20, 2007, 04:18 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
That is still something I would like to have, is a good scale- one for measuring all-up weight and another .01 gram scale for single components.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:11 AM
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
And the last, and most important things to have is a credit card or checkbook.
pilotwi is offline Find More Posts by pilotwi
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
Cottage Grove ,OR
Joined Feb 2005
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwi
And the last, and most important things to have is a credit card or checkbook.
With unlimited funds! and a understanding wife.
Mashem Marv is offline Find More Posts by Mashem Marv
Last edited by Mashem Marv; Sep 20, 2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Most inportant reason
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
pilotwi beat me to the punch
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Old Sep 20, 2007, 02:30 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Ball link re-sizing tool ! After fighting my Logo for months, I finally re-checked all the ball links. All linkages would rotate when pinched between two fingers, but evidently that was still too tight. After careful re-sizing, all linkages are very free and the flybar will rock when I blow on it. Now my other helis sit because the Logo is a joy to fly.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P