HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2002, 02:01 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
First Moth Music Video..

The wind was ripping in from the NW today at the Powerlines, so I headed out there about 3pm, and flew the Moth a bunch. Crashed it immediately following launch *twice* today, looking like a total idiot. Discovered two combinations of positions of switches on my Stylus that can disable ailerons due to my special mix. I fly the Moth and Blutos as V-tails (because Stylus puts elevons on channel 2 and 7 which is stupid) with aileron->rudder mix to get it back on the right stick, and there's two ways to make that go away, and I discovered both, sequentially. Oops.

Anyway, after putting some tape on the fuse over the cracks in the Goop (yep, "broke" the Goop surface), it was back in the air, and I managed to rope someone else into filming while I flew.
It was about 35 degrees F, and the wind was blowing 15-20mph.

So the video...
First off it's a DiVX encoded AVI.
If you don't already have the DiVX codec (which WMP will use) or the DiVX player, get em at http://www.divx.com (There's a Mac version of DiVX there too)

And here's the video
http://www.houseofthud.com/videos/powerlines-divx.avi
4:32 long, 16 megs, music
If folks are really desperate there's a Quicktime version, but the file is twice as big, and the quality is not quite as good. Quicktime's audio codecs suck.

The first 1:11 was me filming and someone else flying, then I took the controls and he filmed. The whole thing was one continuous flight though, and I've just cut out the bits where it was out of focus or lost track of the glider.. etc.

Let me know what you think.

This site, and these conditions were not all that great. I'm really looking forward to making something similar on a *good* hill, in *good* conditions, on a day when my fingers aren't literally freezing.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:22 AM
Davis, CA
Joined Sep 2002
175 Posts
Great job on the video. Nice music choice as well. I finished my moth on Monday and of course immediently the winds in NorCal died off. But I am really glad I saw this before my first flight so I am prepared for the speed... I have sloped a fair amount, but always w/ a draggy and much slower Zagi 400 running w/o motor. This thing shoud be a kick!

-Invicta
invicta is offline Find More Posts by invicta
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:37 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Very Cool, and it looks it as well. Very nice flying, love that energy retention.

I have relations (parents) returning to Australia from SE Asia soon and Im hoping they'll ring before coming back. I want to ask them to get me a digital video camera tax free on the way into Australia. Then Ill put up some vids of my own. Otherwise they at least have a good digital stills camera I can borrow, it will do quicktime vids at 15fps I believe, but Im yet to see the camera.
What brand / model camera do other peoples here use ?

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:39 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
It is a kick, and keep in mind this is flying unballasted. 17oz Moth on a 100 foot slope, in 20mph wind. About the crappiest slope in the state actually. Ironic that it's the most popular (50 feet off the highway).

BTW following up to a comment above.. I didn't just break the covering, I broke the longeron. No biggy. The longeron ballast system wasn't going to do much for me anyway, so I'll just epoxy in a piece of snug fitting carbon tube across the break inside the longeron. Anyway, it does mean that the Moth is breakable, and thus definitely not for beginners (like anyone really doubted that). It takes a hard impact, but is not indestructible, and it did fly that video while compromised so.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:48 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancair

What brand / model camera do other peoples here use ?
Lancair
For digital stills. Nikon Coolpix 990. I've used it to shoot short vids, (all my R/C related videos up until this one in fact), but I just picked up a Canon ZR40 Mini DV camera a week ago. It's only about $430 at http://www.buydig.com so is a pretty good deal. I actually got it because it has analog A/V inputs so I can hook it to the receiver for my mini wireless video camera which will be airborn, hopefully sometime this weekend. (just need wind, have everything else)

BTW, the major downside to using any digital still for videos is that you can only shoot a short clip, after which you wait 20-30 seconds for it to save before you can shoot another. Can't put together a 4 1/2 minute video like this one with any sense of continuity. Also, the video itself from a digital still tends to have very little motion blur so it re-compresses poorly. The monster file you get out of the camera pretty much stays pretty big.

Occurs to me though, the major challenge would be getting them to find you a DV camera with PAL output. Hmph.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Nov 28, 2002 at 04:58 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 06:08 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Not at all a challenge when shopping Duty Free inbound to Australia. All our DV cameras in Australia are in PAL format /output as far as I know. Down here it would be a struggle for YOU to find an NTSC format /output camera

The digital stills camera they bought on the way out is an Olympus C730. Its a 3.2 megapixel, 10X optical zoom with 30X digital zoom as well. Has a host of SLR features as well, cant wait to get my hands on it .

The Canon ZR40 sure is a nice camera. BUT its not avl in Ausralia. BUT its Australian twin, the Canon MV500i is avl.
The one Ive looked at and priced is the Panasonic NV-DS50a. Hoping I can convince them to get it for me, saving about $200 tax free and I can re-pay them, after all I work for my parents so itd be easy for them to deduct from my pay.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Last edited by Lancair; Nov 28, 2002 at 06:12 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 08:58 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,876 Posts
Ian,
Cool video. I like the DivX player too. So who is the artist playing the background music? I've been wanting to put some vid's together too, but my video camera is analog. I've heard you can encode it to .mpeg somehow, but I haven't looked into it to deeply. Nice job!

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:54 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
The artist is Crystal Method, album Tweekend, song PHD. You've probably heard stuff over the years from their album Vegas, which was very popular and often used as driving music, or behind sports highlights and so forth. Good stuff. I'll probably figure out how to use some Shprongle next time.

As for duty free.. wasn't sure how that worked or where along the way they'd be picking it up. Everything we mail order from out of state in the US is effectively duty-free.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2002, 02:33 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
Great video Ian. How much did the Divx compress the original *.avi? I've also been looking into a Canon ZR, but maybe the 50 model. How's the still photo quality on the 40?

Russ - I too have an analog cam (old VHS-C) that I input into my PC via a Dazzle*/firewire component. You need to install the firewire card into an open port. The Dazzle* unit has inputs for digital, analog, and serial (I think), so you can input into the PC from anything that has A/V outputs (RC jacks). Make sure you get one w/ the same outputs, as this will let you record direct to Videotape. It's a cool little thing to have.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Nov 28, 2002, 04:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ajroahkni
Great video Ian. How much did the Divx compress the original *.avi?
Well, VirtualDub will capture straight to DiVX in realtime, so I typically capture to a high quality 1500bps DiVX file, and then recompress down to what you see here which is about half that bitrate. However, I noticed while it was capturing the 1500bps version that it said it was doing about 25/1 compression, so the original uncompressed 5 minute AVI would have been about. 700 megs, and that sounds right based on previous videos I've captured. So from original capture to final recompressed DiVX, something around 45 to 1 compression. Quicktime only managed about half that, and the audio never came out the way I wanted.

Quote:
I've also been looking into a Canon ZR, but maybe the 50 model. How's the still photo quality on the 40?
The 40 doesn't have the still photo option, which is why I got it. None of the ZR series have a very large CCD by current DV leader's standards, so even the small 640x480 images it produces are pretty pitiful. Fine for video, totally inadequate for still images. But then this *is* a video camera, and I own a 3.3MP digital still camera, so figured I'd go with the less expensive camera, which has the same video quality as the two higher end models. The 50MC is really just frilly stuff over the 45MC anyway (your choice of color for the lighted buttons.. etc.. ) so you might look at the 45MC.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2002, 08:00 PM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
First Moth Video to music

Hey great vid, seems like that slope is a blast to fly at.

Not to be a Jackass, but Tenover posted a while back a moth vid

can't exactly remember the link to the post but if you goto

sdslopers.the4drews.com/ the same video is there as well as a great San Diego slope forum.

Johnny..............
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:52 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,468 Posts
Re: First Moth Video to music

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Johnny
H
Not to be a Jackass, but Tenover posted a while back a moth vid
Not to be defensive or anything but the intention was it was *my* first Moth Music video. The implication being, that there would be more.
Note that I did not title it "First Moth Video to Music" as you did.

Quote:

sdslopers.the4drews.com/ the same video is there as well as a great San Diego slope forum.
Cept the link to that video is dead. As are the links to almost all videos anyone posts for more than a few days.. sigh. And it's a Montage of lots of gliders isn't it? (eg.. Poway Montage?)

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:21 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Here they are....
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
Joined Sep 2008
15 Posts
anyone know a good remix for freestyle flying?
cerar is offline Find More Posts by cerar
Old Nov 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
a fortnight short of six years in the tomb. The Curse of The Thread Raider returns.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor