SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's BF-109

I just got this kit and so far it's been fun to build (first balsa and tissue model ) so far I've worked on it for about 1.5 hours got half and formers, and stringers laid, and glued down, so far this it not a bad kit for $8

Sorry about the razor and pins in the picture but there holding down a bend in the stringers
Ravang is offline Find More Posts by Ravang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts
Here is my latest progress, working on the over half of the body
Old Sep 19, 2007, 07:59 PM
Common Sense Support Crew
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
184 Posts
It's looking good! Keep up the good work!

Randy
reblacklaf is offline Find More Posts by reblacklaf
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:03 PM
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reblacklaf
It's looking good! Keep up the good work!

Randy
Thanks, I'm going to start with the wings/tail this weekend and hopefully fly it next week and rebuild it after the crash, lol
Old Sep 20, 2007, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2007
242 Posts
You work quick!!! I love Guilliows.
Citabria86614 is offline Find More Posts by Citabria86614
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
Joined May 2006
65 Posts
Looks good, I know what you mean about the rebuild but the fly part still has evaded me LOL!
crashbangthud is offline Find More Posts by crashbangthud
Old Sep 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
9 Posts
Thanks for the comments, today I layed out the stabilizer, and will be working on the rudder and wings soon
Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:03 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Ravang,

This was the first balsa model I attempted to build back in 1966 (age 5). After consuming several tubes of Testors cement I managed to finish the model and I don't recall ever seeing it fly. A few years ago I decided to build the BF 109 kit again for nostalgia sake. I didn't modify the kit at all, just built it using the parts supplied (expect I covered the model in Japanese tissue). When it came time to fly, I found this model very tricky to trim. I managed to get a few 70 foot flights (straight line) after a bit of adjusting. It was still a fun project, but don't get your hopes up for any long, soaring flights unless you lighten the structure and change the prop and rubber.

Good Luck,

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
Common Sense Support Crew
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
184 Posts
Looking great! Just be aware that the blue band isn't a very good motor. Also if you trim the formers and keels you will have a better flier. Scalloping the space on the formers between the stringers will give a nicer covering job.

Randy
reblacklaf is offline Find More Posts by reblacklaf
Last edited by reblacklaf; Sep 22, 2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:57 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,438 Posts
ESPECIALLY work on shaving out as much wood as you can in the tail. Even with the vac formed cowl and stuff up front these designs come out tail heavy and need serious noseweight if you don't go to extreme lengths to lighten everything aft of the CG location. I'd even suggest a lot of work with lightening holes or slots in the wing's trailing edge and ribs. Also to fly you'll want to add even more dihedral than the plans suggest. The wingtips should be roughly up even with the base of the canopy.

Best of luck with the remainder of your Guillows project. Hopefully the wood quality is better than the "Leaden Lumber" that mine all were when I was a kid. I built about 4 or 5 of these half shell models back then and none of them flew worth a darn. If it wasn't the massive amount of noseweight that just made them plummet it was the lack of dihedral that made them into spiral divers.

Mlbco, that's a nice version you have there.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:29 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Mar 2005
506 Posts
Bruce gives good advice on lightening the tail and increasing the dihedral. You also need to find a wastebasket for that blue rubber band. Go get some Tan II. It's got probably twice the energy capacity of that thing. Order direct from FAI (www.faimodelsupply.com) or from Penn Valley (www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com). If you order from Penn Valley, get a Peck 6" wide-blade prop while you're at it. And definitely get a Peck nylon thrust bearing. The PA006 one would be best.
Yea, here's where they've got that stuff: http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com...lies/props.htm
You'd be wise to get a rubber winder as well, as that will allow you to stretch the motor out and wind it much faster. If you plan on building more of these, get a full pound of the rubber. The 32' lengths don't last that long.

Do that and you'll have a good chance of getting in some nice flights.

If you get the bug for this, try building a Chambermaid racer. It's probably the best flying scale design out there. Mine will do over 2 minutes reliably. A group of guys are building them on SFA: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...m=1189472138/0

Good flying,
Joshua Finn
jwfinn is offline Find More Posts by jwfinn
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:50 AM
Joined May 2006
65 Posts
Its looking good, hope you put up some more pictures when its done.
crashbangthud is offline Find More Posts by crashbangthud