SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Slope soaring site in Carson City NV???

Are there any slope soaring sites around Carson City NV? I sure it has great potential but I haven't seen anybody flying slope. I often visit my sister and her two boy, who live in Carson City, and I have been to the RC gas field and it is known as the thermal capital of the world. But I am not aware of any sites for flying slope. I often thought it has great potential.

I though about bringing a sloper up, when we visit my sister this Thanksgiving. Or should I just stick to skiing and snowboarding?

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2002, 01:11 AM
Santa Paula, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
109 Posts
Hi Homshi,

Before I discovered slope flying we made a trip to the Reno \ Carson City area. On one of our outing we made a trip up to Virginia City. I remember going out towards Minden on 395 then turning left on the road to Virginia City. About 10 miles up that road there is an overlook of the valley which would make a great spot, given a good wind in the southerly direction. Sorry I can't be more specific, doing this from and old memory.... Happy Flying Art
ZagiArt is offline Find More Posts by ZagiArt
Old Dec 12, 2002, 01:27 AM
Davis, CA
Joined Sep 2002
175 Posts
I am sure that there are many flyable hills around....

Check out this website for known good sites in the area:

http://www.ncws.com/rcrock/sites.htm

-Invicta
invicta is offline Find More Posts by invicta
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:50 AM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Invicta;

I have already checked out their site. Maybe I will have to try up around Virginia City, and check on the direction of the wind.

Looks like winter is here and bringing more snow to the mountains, and since it is ski and snowboarding season and the conditions are getting better, you know where I will be. I would rather be up in the snow, than sitting around home without lift.

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi