HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:49 AM
Joined Jul 2007
44 Posts
Discussion
jetcat p70 vs wren MW 54

Guys im seriously thinking about going to the dark side and ordering my first 'real' turbine model. The new skymaster F-86 looks soooo nice and its not too massive to fit in my smallish car either.

On to motor options though, out of the p70 and Mw54 which would you rate higher?

Here in the Uk the p70 ready built is about the same price as an MW54 autostart kit. Add another couple of hundred for a ready built 54.

Which would be my better option? Wren are fairly local which is a big plus point but is My two hundred quid extra going to buy me a better package than the jetcat option??

Im eager to hear what you guys have to say
bandits is offline Find More Posts by bandits
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:33 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2004
84 Posts
Hi Bandits
Which Wren the MW54 are you refering too? the mk111 or the supersport.

Tony
tonyabw60 is offline Find More Posts by tonyabw60
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyabw60
Hi Bandits
Which Wren the MW54 are you refering too? the mk111 or the supersport.

Tony
Hi Tony its the mk111 mate. The supersport sounds great but is a little too far out of reach at the minute price wise. My p70 quote was from als hobbies. At 1400 ready built its looking tempting at the minute.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:28 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2004
84 Posts
Well you are not really comparing like with like,the p70 is 17.5 lbs of thrust and the mk3 is 14+,the supersport would be the one I would go for regardless of price, the Wren service is astounding, second to none, I also think the service costs would be less.
But I have to say that the price Ali is quoting you sounds very good and I know he will do his utmost for you should you have servicing problems, cos he a great guy. The Wren would use a lot less fuel by the way.
At the end of the day the choice is still yours.
Tony
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:09 PM
Oxfordshire, Gt Britain
Joined Apr 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyabw60
The Wren would use a lot less fuel by the way.
At the end of the day the choice is still yours.
Tony
I agree, the Wren's are very good on fuel. All the low end Jetcats are really thirsty. I have seen a P80 go through 2.75 litres in around 8 minutes.
I have an old second hand Mk1 54 and am really pleased with it.

Regards

Marvin.
Marvinrobot is offline Find More Posts by Marvinrobot
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:04 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
917 Posts
I have a Supersport in a scratch built model & my flying mate has the P-70 in a Baby Boomerang. The P-70 is a bit bigger & a bit heavier than the SS but puts out a similar thrust. I think the P-70 uses more fuel, he gets similar flight times as me on the same amount of fuel & my SS works harder as my plane is quite a bit bigger & heavier.

Both engines have run faultlessly although the Jetcat seems a bit less fussy.

The P-70 achieves the same thrust at much lower RPM & is quieter. The P-70 is completely different to the P-80 which is almost the same physical size as the P-120.

Wren service is second to none.

Both are fine engines ,if the SS & P-70 were the same price it would be difficult to decide between the two. But you are choosing between a lower thrust MW54 engine in kit form versus a more powerful ready to run P-70. If it were me the decision would be easy. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
44 Posts
Guys thanks for the input. I had originally decided on the 54 before i saw the p70 at such a great price.
@Boomerang i think you hit the nail clean on the head.... more thrust, ready built, great price, from a reputable source. The p70 is looking like a clean winner.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
harwich essex
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
wren had a sale on not so long a go which means they might do you a good deal try giving them a call and see what they can do for you, give them all the above reasons you never know !!
bluescoobydoo is offline Find More Posts by bluescoobydoo
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:23 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2004
84 Posts
Boomerang1
I would be interested in why you think the Jetcat is as you put less fussy, have you had problems with the SS.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:26 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
917 Posts
tonyabw60, I have only had one real problem with the engine. The legs holding the starter came loose on the second flight with the engine. From what I can tell the starter then rubbed on the compressor nut, was spun to a speed it was never designed to do & the resulting vibration as the starter fell apart resulted in the engine moving forward in the mount jamming the remains of the starter against the compressor nut stalling the engine. Probably someone failed to loctite the screws or some other simple mistake.

Wren repaired the engine very promptly with no questions asked & I took the opportunity to have the new FOD screen fitted at the same time so the problem cannot reoccur (now fitted as standard on all starter equipped Wrens, with Jetcats you still have to cobble something together)

I have had the occasional failed start but it was probably my fault pointing the exhaust into the wind. Using the recommended oil (Castrol TTS) it has tightened up a bit between use due to I think the residual oil being sticky on the bearings. A change to Mobil jet oil seems to have fixed the problem. I sometimes leave the engine for months between use, the Castrol oil may be o.k. if used more often. With every problem I have had Wren have been most helpful and have always answered emails very promptly. The Australian distributor, Perth RC has been very helpful as well. There's lots of new things to learn with turbines, I'm probably mr average, experienced at normal models & new to turbines. One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that the SS has faster throttle response than my mate's P-70. I'm certainly a satisfied Wren Customer.

My mates's Jetcat has had no problems whatsoever, perfect. I cannot comment on Jetcat service as I have never used it. The Australian distributor is Intairco, another company with a reputation for excellent service so I expect no problems there. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Last edited by Boomerang1; Sep 19, 2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:56 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2004
84 Posts
Thanks for replying Boomerang1.
jet cat service in UK, in my opinion is nowhere near Wrens but I am biased anyway..........lol.
Ok I think Bandits will decide on what he wants, but everyone to there own as they say.
Tony