HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:45 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Discussion
Crashed my new Esky belt cp, need some advice

A little bummed right now but could have been worse. Doing my first hovers and then tried forward flight, this thing is very fast and I should have just taken it easy, buuuut, anyway, hit right on the skids going pretty good. Bent shaft, bent tailboom, (already straightened) chewed some teeth off the main gear, all electronics and even the battery seem ok. Problem is it broke the plastic right where the landing gear mounts to the frame. Should be an easy fix, but should I use CA or epoxy? Its that funny kind of slick plastic. Any help appreciated. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
just replace it. in the end it will be the weakest part. But if it is broken, maybe ca would be good. Considering there is a ca remover, that might be easiest to use.
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:03 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn

A little bummed right now but could have been worse. Doing my first hovers and then tried forward flight, this thing is very fast and I should have just taken it easy, buuuut, anyway, hit right on the skids going pretty good. Bent shaft, bent tailboom, (already straightened) chewed some teeth off the main gear, all electronics and even the battery seem ok. Problem is it broke the plastic right where the landing gear mounts to the frame. Should be an easy fix, but should I use CA or epoxy? Its that funny kind of slick plastic. Any help appreciated. Jim
Jimbo Here's my simple recommendation. Don't spend any more money on the Belt CP, it's a flawed design. Get a Trex 450 or a CopterX; parts are cheap and it flys so well. My belt had a boom strike after 3 minutes of hovering when I set it down a bit too hard. I regret buying the parts to fix it which I did. Then I flew it and it crashed and had another boom strike. I have crashed my Trex twice, badly, and I still have the original boom fitted. Go figure!
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Sr
Jimbo Here's my simple recommendation. Don't spend any more money on the Belt CP, it's a flawed design. Get a Trex 450 or a CopterX; parts are cheap and it flys so well. My belt had a boom strike after 3 minutes of hovering when I set it down a bit too hard. I regret buying the parts to fix it which I did. Then I flew it and it crashed and had another boom strike. I have crashed my Trex twice, badly, and I still have the original boom fitted. Go figure!
I don't see how you can say it's a flawed design. This thing flew great until I crashed it, and the parts are cheap. YOu can get a boom strike with any heli. Isn't a Trex 200 bucks without any servos, motor or electronics? I paid 165 for my belt and will certainly give it another go. My grand total for parts to fix after the crash is 32 bucks, and that's even throwing in a new set of blades that I really don't need. Jim
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Never had a single blade strike. Belt CP flies fine. I like to fly inverted on Belt CP and it is a lot of fun. Any helicopter when you land hard will break something so just don't land hard, it is not a brick.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Need some help here guys. Got my new main gear set, but (didn't realize this) it does not contain the one way bearing. I have a one way on the stripped main gear,but it certainly does not seem like it wants to come out, unless I start hammering at it, and I think that will pretty much ruin it, sooooo, help here. Any advice how to get this thing out? Thanks in advance . Jim
Old Sep 20, 2007, 07:01 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Need some help here guys. Got my new main gear set, but (didn't realize this) it does not contain the one way bearing. I have a one way on the stripped main gear,but it certainly does not seem like it wants to come out, unless I start hammering at it, and I think that will pretty much ruin it, sooooo, help here. Any advice how to get this thing out? Thanks in advance . Jim
C-clamp and a small socket to push out the bearing. Do NOT use hammer otherwise you'll have to buy a new bearing. On the other hand everytime you'll crash it'll strip the main gear and this is pain in the arse. Some people installed King main gear but I don't know if it is a good idea or not because main gear in belt cp works as mechanical fuse. It strips the main gear but saves the motor and probably some other parts in the head. Every crash in belt cp needs to replace blades, main gear, feathering shaft and main shaft. $25 for each crash.
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
Old Sep 21, 2007, 08:16 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Thanks Almaz,
I finally got it out, so now I am in the get it back in mode. I would imagine the same method, will let you know how it goes. I like this little heli, just been a lot of down time so far. Jim
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:25 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Back together tonight and a brief runup. Seems good. Tommorow will give it another go if the weather holds up. Thanks for all the help. Jim
Old Sep 22, 2007, 09:43 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Oh well, took it out a little while ago and after some rudder adjustment had it flying ok, got up a little too high, and with today's overcast kind of lost it. Smacko, again. Good news is so far it only looks like rotor blades and gluing the lg back on (again). Anyway, I have to come to realize that this bird is just a little too much for me right now. Im going to save ff for the eco and my hbk. Much slower and easier to correct. Fly, crash, repair, repeat. Story of my life. Jim
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:46 AM
www.insideheli.com
Joined Jun 2007
1,293 Posts
What motor/pinion combo are you running?

SPaRX
sparx is offline Find More Posts by sparx
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
Joined Sep 2007
48 Posts
if you increase the pitch to max you will have less rotorspeed and the heli will be more slow overall. Try that and it will be a bit more easy to fly
sndgrn is offline Find More Posts by sndgrn
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,246 Posts
Well, after all it was minimal damage, got everything back together and already have a new set of blades. I just plain lost orientation with it going to fast. My bad. Anyway, now when I plug in the battery, the gyro flashes rapidly(as it always did) but instead of after a minute turning solid red, it's blinking slowly, and I have no rudder movement with the stick. This is new, and I imagine my gyro is dead, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks, Jim
Old Sep 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
Better off Modified!
Colorado
Joined Sep 2006
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Well, after all it was minimal damage, got everything back together and already have a new set of blades. I just plain lost orientation with it going to fast. My bad. Anyway, now when I plug in the battery, the gyro flashes rapidly(as it always did) but instead of after a minute turning solid red, it's blinking slowly, and I have no rudder movement with the stick. This is new, and I imagine my gyro is dead, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks, Jim
Make sure the rudder trim and stick on the TX is centered. If it still just blinks, plug the rudder servo straight into the RX, bypassing the gyro, and see if the rudder stick moves the servo. If that works the Gyro is probably bad, if it doesn't work it could indicate the RX is not giving a neutral signal to the gyro, which it needs to initialize, and the RX could be bad.
Tweekster is offline Find More Posts by Tweekster
Old Dec 08, 2007, 05:56 PM
London-UK
Joined Sep 2007
234 Posts
good idea for belt cp spars parts buy belt cp bare bones.!
TAREK.SAADE is offline Find More Posts by TAREK.SAADE