HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2002, 07:42 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Japanese ZERO, a GWS model

Dear GWS ZERO Fans:

I am making my thread all over again.....seems like the Database error completely deleted that nice thread of mine with all that nice information of my experiences with building, flying, and modifying the GWS ZERO.

I will try to recap all the important stuff and get to the punch line with all details soon. Let me start getting some data that I backed up!

Thanks for your patience!
Carlos.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Nov 24, 2002 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:32 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
oh yes; I missed the thread...
but this last sunday, I saw a guy with his super zero with 10 cell nicad and a mega brushless with gearbox and a 10x7 prop. WOW... my neck got hurt seeing that super Zero went unlimited vertical and extraordinary large outer loops. And that wonderful high speed low pass.. How can I miss it? That super Zero was fantastic. I wish I had a video camera for this show.
Tim2000 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2000
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:48 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
and matt;
please let us know how that brushless mega performed on your Zero... It should be fantastic... This zero does not mean for slowflier at all. I have seen so many Zeros with speed 400 and brushless motor and it is absolutely powerfull Zero with those power system. I am trying to collect all of those power system and post it here with their pictures too... because I have met many of those power house Zeros
Old Nov 26, 2002, 04:53 AM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
Took me a while to rediscover this thread!
I have my Zero now,unfortunately it is in silver paint,so am looking for some emulsion here in the correct colours now.
My 5 turn Mega will be mounted on dowels epoxied into the nose.It will require some thought to get it all aligned properly.
Tim,your friend with the gearbox,is it a Mega brand,or something else?
Looks like a nice model,very close to scale.
More as it happens!

Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Nov 26, 2002, 05:20 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
matt;

my friend has a mega 4 turn with a 2.8:1 gearbox from GWS. He modified the gearbox to fit the mega. My friend is experimenting now with different gear ratio to get the power system that he likes for his Zero. Then he will get a better and sturdy gearbox for this since the GWS gearbox is very good but too fragile. That gearbox is for those speed 300 and can not withstand the high power of the mega brushless for very long. And this power system is awesome: mega 4t, 2.8:1 gearbox, 10x1000 Hecell pack, 10x7 Apc prop. You have to see the unlimited vertical performance of his Zero, just straight up in to the sky... like a rocket. We are still looking for a good, sturdy and quiet gearbox for this. The mega gearbox is very good but known for its noise so we probably will go for the helical gearbox for better efficiency and nice sound or the belt drive from http://www.modelairtech.com/
Old Nov 26, 2002, 01:30 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bipeflyer
Took me a while to rediscover this thread!
I have my Zero now,unfortunately it is in silver paint,so am looking for some emulsion here in the correct colours now.

Matt.
matt;

if you can find the tamiya acrylic paint then there are 2 colors: Japanese Navy green, code # XF11, and Japannese airforce green, the Navy is closer to the GWS color and the Airforce is kind of lighter green which is better, I Think. There are millions of Navy green Zeros out there... so bored looking at them
Old Nov 26, 2002, 05:17 PM
northampton, England.
Joined Oct 2000
684 Posts
the mega zero sounds right up my street , what airframe strengthening mods have been done, i used a carbon spar in my standard one?
kartman24 is online now Find More Posts by kartman24
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:44 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
kartman;

if you are making a power house Zero with brushless, beside that CF rod, you need a couple strips of straping tape across the wing, also make sure the nut and bolt, that hold the wings to the fuse, firmly in place, maybe with epoxy, and reinforce the fuse around the trailing edge of the wings. That is what we did with ours.

This afternoon, at lunch time, my friend's power house zero, off his hand, went straight up into the sky, really unlimited vertical; It got smaller, smaller, smaller then diappeared in my eyes. So my friend had to make a hammerhead, make a dive to take it back to our visual.. just unbeleivable... like a small scale space shuttle, not at kennedy space center, but at the park... Gosh... I still can not believed my eyes this afternnon... What a super Zero he got

My Zero has similar power system; it is very interesting to see two Zeros dual in the sky; ond white and one green dogfight in the sky :-) :-) :-) But I just enjoy my supersonic Wattage Mirage 2000 for now, not really unlimited vertical but about 92mph horizontally.

Gosh... so many planes, so little time. Beside those GWS, there are hobby-lobby, global, wattage, mark rittiger, jim ryan, nesail... gosh.... too many great planes out there...
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:49 AM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
I want to make a video on that super Zero of my friend and try to post it here. Is that possible? Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2002, 08:12 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I thought this little guy was a slow flier! Is the airframe really strong enough for the power of a brushless motor? Also will that GWS gearbox hold up to that many watts? And finally what battery pack are you using?
Hmmmm, this could be the next venture in the shop!!!!
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Nov 27, 2002, 08:19 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I thought this little guy was a slow flier! Is the airframe really strong enough for the power of a brushless motor? Also will that GWS gearbox hold up to that many watts? And finally what battery pack are you using?
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Nov 27, 2002, 10:37 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Here's my GWS ZERO with new paint job.

The green paint job from MODEL MASTERS, AERO EURO GREEN, #4729.

The Gray paint job from MODEL MASTERS, DARK GULL GRAY, #4729.

My GWS ZERO looks much better than the stock color from the box since it can be seen during overcast days and I can fly it away from me a little farther than before.

Also, has anyone seen the new EPS-400C? Looks like an inexpensive way to boost the stock motor combination to the next level short of going to brushless!!

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produ...tem/eps400c.htm

No data sheet yet but, must produce over 15oz. of thrust with similar reduction gear of that from EPS-300 series.

Regards,
Carlos.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
New EPS-400C !

Here's a 400 in a GWS reduction gear configuration, no data sheet yet but, soon will be posting soon!
Old Nov 27, 2002, 07:31 PM
California
Joined Jan 2002
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dottney
Dave
oh no;
this zero with brushless is a great high speed and lot of thrust. It is a tough warbird with some reinforcement. And that GWS gearbox is only for cheap experiment with different gear, pinion ratio. Just trash those sissy gear, motor from GWS then voila... with brushless power, you have a magnificient Zero in the air
Old Nov 27, 2002, 09:24 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
My GWS ZERO with new Paint Job...

Here's a day time picture of my GWS ZERO with new Paint Job!

Go GWS !!!!!