HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Discussion
Wright Patterson

I want to take a trip down to Wright Patterson AFB and museum since Ive never been. For those of you that have been maybe you can answer a question. Is this a one or two day trip? Are there any outdoor displays that I should see? I think this would make a good winter trip instead of giving up a precious weekend while the weather is still nice. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:36 PM
the new kid on the block!
shaker heights!
Joined Aug 2006
223 Posts
My scout troop goes down there and camps on the runway, everyother year! It is the coolest meuseum ever! The only outdoor stuff are a couple of planes stationed outside. But there isnt anything else outside. I would say that the meuseum is a one day thing all day, from open to close! but it could work as a weekend type of trip!

-Kevin
kevin09 is offline Find More Posts by kevin09
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
1,563 Posts
I've been there twice this year since it's on the way to visit my daughter at Indiana University.

Taking my time, it took me 2 days to see it all. Including the planes parked outside and the Presidential hanger. I also watched one of the Imax films as well. That was all the first trip. On the second trip, I spent a day in the Museum (mostly the WWI and WWII exhibits) and spent a half day at the Wright Brothers' memorial and Huffman Prarie Field (where they did all of the further development of the Wright Flyer after Kitty Hawk). All in all an outstanding trip.

It depends on how long you take looking at the exhibits inside. Kevin's right, you can do it in one day, but I took my time looking over everything in detail!

Pete
Taylorman is offline Find More Posts by Taylorman
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:03 PM
I Crash Things!!
Euclid, Ohio
Joined Apr 2006
146 Posts
My wife and I went last year. We left after her work from Cleveland at about 4pm and got to the Bed and Breakfast at about 11pm. Spent the entire next day, 9 to 4 at the museum. Felt like I got to see everything I wanted to see!
romranger is offline Find More Posts by romranger
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2006
895 Posts
Im getting so I know that place pretty well... Im always willing to go.
mr badwrench is offline Find More Posts by mr badwrench
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
I finally had a chance to get down to the museum, what a trip. My friend and I went to the Doolittle Raiders 70th anv. luncheon and then trekked it over to the museum for the balance of the day. Its staggering how much they have there and we only really saw the indoor stuff (and didnt even see all of it).

The lighting is weird. The ceiling is dark and there isnt a tom of lighting. My point and shoot's flash wouldnt touch the planes at a distance so a lot of pics come out dark. It doesnt matter though, the displays are top notch and very well presented. The logisitics of cramming those planes in there must be staggering. Anyway, go and see for yourself! Its free, you paid for it!
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,490 Posts
Wow. Thanks for posting. Looks like you were able to meet some of the Raiders?

What plane is img_0325?
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus View Post

What plane is img_0325?
My guess is a Douglas B-18.
Ok it really isn't a guess. I remember it from the last time I visited because it is based on the DC-2 which looks a lot like the DC-3.

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron