HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:26 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
Mine is still in a box Gary. Unfortunately there are two or three planes ahead of it in the build Q. Still planning on electric, HK air retracts. Considering a HobbyKing 50-65B 400kv using 8S. Mine is retract ready but I am planning on moving the front gear forward into the cowl and adding gear doors. Oh and planning on repainting it black like the RAF version. Lots of plans, we will see when I actually get into it. Weight is a concern, as I am planning on glassing the flying surfaces with 25g cloth.

Anyway will be great to see how your one goes.

Thanks,

Stuart
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Last edited by fredo21; Dec 13, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:37 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,857 Posts
I'm going to move the nose gear forward, using one of my many "extra" motor mounts as well. I'll start on it this weekend, but completion will have to wait a bit before as I need to afford the $190 for those e-flite electric retracts! I have a unused air retract system, but I prefer to go electric on this bird.

Your black version will really look cool! I wish my 69 year old eyeballs were good enough to fly it! I need all the color I can get.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:38 AM
Never too much detail
Australia, VIC, Hampton
Joined Jan 2007
477 Posts
Hi Gary,

Some of them have a bit of yellow trim.

Stuart
http://www.militaryairshows.co.uk/new/lowlevel.jpg

RAF Tucano Formation - All Saints 'Pure Shores' (4 min 24 sec)
fredo21 is offline Find More Posts by fredo21
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,857 Posts
Thanks for posting the video, Stuart. My Tucano Shorts T-1 (Airshow scheme) arrived today. Everything seems to be in good order, but there are a couple of fuse formers that will receive some additional adhesive. Unlike a few other versions of this NitroPlanes Tucano ARF, mine came "retract-ready". Also, the guide tubes for the rudder and elevator control were missing as reported by a few other folks. All things considered, it is an outstanding buy at NP's current sale price of $130!!! This plane REALLY looks cool. The photos don't do it justice. The instructions are very poor, but anyone who has built a few "kit planes" won't have problems. It is NOT your typical Great Planes, Hanger 9, or E-Flite ARF in the instruction arena!

I just may put in my Saito 100 four stroke instead of taking the E-Flite 110 and related electronics out of my Epic LT (also from NitroPlanes) just yet. I'll convert it at a later date. I still really like the Epic and the Saito should do a decent job of pulling the Tucano around...it just won't go vertical forever like it would with the EP setup.

Gary
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:34 PM
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
I'm well into the build on my Grey Tucano. It came retract ready, but I'm going with fixed gear and have a new ASP 120 4S I'll be using. It does not have the tubes for the elev/rudder installed and while it came with blocks and wire main gear, there's no nose gear in the box. The nylon mounts are included, just no strut. The wing is covered with a slick white China cover and then painted with grey paint, which chips very easily. Instructions just about aren't. This is not an easy build. It should look sharp flying, but with the small wings I'm looking at it's going to be a hot lander.

Getting the engine aligned is going to be a bit of a fiddle. Their 'instructions' show lineing it up on an 'X' molded on the firewall. On the model, there's no 'X'. So nothing comes easy here.
hawkerone is offline Find More Posts by hawkerone
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:48 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm subscribing to this thread because I just picked one of these up... out of the dumpster at a fly-in event. A guy built it, maidened it, and somehow rolled it over on his first landing and landed on it's head. The canopy & cowl were slightly scratched and the tip of the rudder broke off, but those are easily repairable things.

I'm really not a fan of gray airplanes, if only because I can't see them in the air, so I'm doing a custom paint job on mine... something sporty looking.

I'm a bit miffed that this one doesn't have wheel wells. Usually you can do one or the other, but this one apparently has NO allowance for retracts. I may just have to modify it. What's the point in doing a custom color scheme if the thing's flying around with it's "pants down" so to speak. Right?

Anyway, looks like I'm joining the Tucano club... even though I've got a perfectly good EMS PC-21 sitting in the box waiting to be built. This'll be a good warm-up plane for that, at a fourth the price in gear.

I've got a Monster 110 in there with an HV80 Castle ESC, will be pushing 10S 4000mah packs on a 13.4 x 13.5 APC three-blade prop.

I'm a bit sad that the guy I got this from didn't have the guns on it, and I have no idea how to get ahold of him. Any of you guys not using your wing guns that would be willing to part with them?
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,857 Posts
I just bought the "Airshow (blue/yellow/light gray bottom)" from Nitroplanes. Mine is the "retract ready" version...so I won't have to do surgery on the wings, just add some additional glue to the retract beams. See ScaleBrads progress starting at post #9.

As I mentioned in my earlier post #30, I'm going to power it initally with a nearly new Satio 100, and later with my E-Flite 110 on 8S/4800mAh-35C out of my Epic LT. That setup pulls the LT around with great authority on a two blade APC. Will try a 3 blade shortly.

I am not going to use the gun/gun pods on this model. You may have them for whatever it costs to ship to Utah
Last edited by bamaguy; Nov 17, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:11 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
bamaguy,

Sweet! I'll PM you my address so you can check on USPS online to see what it costs to ship. Slowest method possible is fine. It'll be a week or two before I'm ready to mount them.

A friend of mine flew his Tucano this weekend at an airshow I went to, he was doing about 130 mph flying on 12S with a Power110 with an APC 13x13 4-blade pattern prop. That thing HAULED BUTT!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:34 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Would any of you guys with the retract ready version be willing to take pics of the wing bottom gear mount & wheel well from a couple angles, as well as the nose wheel well for me? It'll speed up the hack job I've gotta do on this plane to get retracts in it. (shudder). TIA.

I'm starting in on a custom paint job on mine this weekend. Gray just doesn't cut it for me, but it works great as a primer base!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,857 Posts
Adding Retracts

Again, check Scale Brad's postings earlier in this thread, starting with post #9 as to how he did his retract installation. Here are some photos of my wing witch was "retract ready". Note the novel method he used for the nose gear...an excellent idea; it's virtually impossible to get in the nose and install rails to mount the nose gear, anyway. Besides, the end result of his method is more "scale", especially with a 105 degree retract. You will want 85 degree for the mains as the wing has quite a bit if dihedral.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:08 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Bamaguy, those are very helpful.

Gonna be a bugger to do, especially the nose gear.

I really like the lower exhaust stacks on the planes in that video. I wish they'd have done that on this model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Hey guys,

I also just got this plane, was not too happy with the paint on the fuse, and got all clean up with this awesome paint remover. Plane look really good for
$130. I have a Magnum 90, and an OS 120. Will the 90 be enough? If I put the 120 I will have to butcher the cowl
rcyogi is offline Find More Posts by rcyogi
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:35 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:41 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
rcyogi,

To post pictures, click the edit button on your last post, then click the "manage attachments" button under "Additional Options". That's the easiest way to add several images.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Thanks!!! That was easy!