HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:46 PM
115 inches of 'hog
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Build Log
NitroPlanes Embraer Tucano

Something a little different this time....

The fun part of ordering from these online stores is you never know exactly what you are going to get

This one turned out quite nice, although a little wrench was thrown in my plans for retracts.

Plane was $234 Shipped.

After inspecting this one, I am sure it is the same plane offered by KMP as the Shorts Tucano- However, KMP's is Black, and also is Retract-Ready. I called Nitroplanes and they told me theirs was also retract-ready, but I knew better... the KMP version is $299 with a tinted (ugly) canopy and retract ready, this one is $189 with a clear canopy, and fixed gear mounts

So...here's some pics

I thought the wing was going to be bigger...The fuse is big, but I'm getting concerned about the weight, and the tapered wing tips
ScaleBrad is offline Find More Posts by ScaleBrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
I may go for this color scheme, hate to repaint it, but I am going to have to tear into the bottom wing covering for retract install.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,437 Posts
Hey Brad,glad to see you doing this one, I've looked at it several times,gonna do the maiden at Ocala?
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:22 AM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Yep, it will be at Ocala, hopefully in about 3 weeks. Made a lot of progress tonight, started on the retracts in one wing, not too difficult, one wing is done, now have to do other wing, then nosewheel, which is easy- firewall mount spring-air retract..will post pics tomorrow
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:32 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
Brad,

When I read that you were getting the bird, I immediately checked it out. To be truthfull, I fell in love with the appearance, it looks so sleek. I was so tempted to be a copy cat....but...it's your baby and she really looks good.

I can't wait to see how you modify it. Please post those pictures on the retract mod.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:03 AM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
must-get-some-sleep....work @ 8am

Will post more pics tomorrow night

Power system still being planned, have several option here, will build airframe and check the weight and balance first
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:05 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
Gee Brad, don't stay up all night to work on this Tucano, nobody else is competing with you. In my prior post I just wanted to voice my excitement that you started this project.

However Your life and job comes first, don't forget that.

Al
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,966 Posts
Small wings, exactly my thought, that's why my Phoenix Tucano isn't maiden yet. I'm too chicken to maiden it unless there's perfect conditions

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Hey Al, the job comes 2nd....

Got one wing almost done, heading to the hobby store today to get some tires and balsa for the sheeting, also going to pick up some 85 dgree retracts, the wing has quite a bit of dihedral. Once I get the nose retract mounted, I can see how long I need the main struts to be, then I will cut the recess for the tire.

The instructions show both the KMP retract-ready wing, and this one with fixed gear. They both have the flap servo cutout in a different place- So I had to move the flap servo door, but wasn't a big deal once I had the wing opened up. they have the flap servo right where the gear would fold in.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
The instructions show the retract-ready wing in the top picture, and the fixed gear in the lower left. Notice the flap servo bay.

You can

A) Buy the KMP for $299 retract ready- less work, with an ugly tinted canopy, and (maybe) have to reinforce the retract mounts anyways like most ARF's, and live with a black plane

B) Buy the Nitroplanes for $189, install your own strong retract mounts, have a clear canopy, and a nice grey camo plane that may start to chip and show the red covering underneath.

So I wasn't 100% crazy about either choice.
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Sep 18, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jun 2006
274 Posts
Theres so much that can be done to that kit to make it light.
m898 is offline Find More Posts by m898
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:37 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Got the retract mounts installed and covered with silver Ultracoat. Sanded the covering and will paint to match tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Had to order a set of 85 degree retracts from VQ Warbirds, so hopefully they will arrive soon. In the mean time I will start on the tail assembly and nose retract
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,245 Posts
I see what ya did Brad, nice work, it really looks neat and nobody will know it wasn't that way when you got it.

I can't wait to see it when it's finished and flying, I just love the look of that plane.

Al
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
Moving along....slowly....

Well, none of the holes that were marked on the fuse for the tail, or the wing anti-rotation pins lined up properly- as you can see....so had to make some adjustments. This is definitely a "builders" ARF
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
115 inches of 'hog
Joined Aug 2004
2,700 Posts
So...got frustrated with that part, moved on to the motor install....checked inventory and I will be using my Neu 1515-3D (1360kv) with the 3.7 planetary gearbox. Running on 8S, should produce about 1500 watts, spinning a 14x10 or 15x10 prop. Also, decided to mount the nose retract up front- first, it places the nose wheel in the scale position which looks really cool, and more importantly it allows easy access to get the dreaded steering linkage adjusted and working. Found a good use for one of the many,many glow engine mounts I have sitting around
Last edited by ScaleBrad; Sep 25, 2007 at 12:16 AM.