HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:45 PM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Discussion
Mig 21 from beanie's plans

Heres a full fuse mig 21 I scaled down from beanie's excellent plans. I just started the filling and sanding process, detail parts like scoops and bumps to be added soon. I am at under 8 oz now with everything except battery and paint, so I expect to come in under my target weight of 12 oz easily. Motor is 1500kv pink wonder with a 9X5 prop chopped to a little under 7 inches. All internal linkages and full flying stabs.

jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:11 PM
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2004
468 Posts
Very nice job, what is the WS?
shockflyer12345 is offline Find More Posts by shockflyer12345
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
jasta- she's looking like a beaut!!! man, you are a speedy builder! it takes me forever to get moving... kinda like molasses. what was newton's first law... body in motion stays...blah blah blah, and body at rest stays... blah blah. i'm like a body at rest!

i can't wait to see her all painted up. any eta for maiden? good luck!
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:36 PM
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Thanks SF12345...the WS is 16" and the lenth is 30"

The maiden is hopefully this weekend. Ill need to decide on a paint scheme by tomorro.

I was wary about skinning this size model in 6mm foam. But I have to say, the 6mm holds a curve WAY better than 3mm or 1mm. I wont be skinning with anything other than 6mm from now on. In fact, I skinned the turtle deck of this Mig with 3mm, and Im not too happy about it...very lumpy, and its gonna take a lot of spackle to make it look smooth enough. I think the thinner the skin, the more formers or bulkheads you need, so you are really not saving any weight.

After I saw this build in the Pusher Jets forum, I had to try it. Its one of my favorite planes and the build log is step by step and very clear. I only have a certain class of gear (24g motors), so I had to size beanie's plans to fit.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
you've done an awesome job. i'm glad you found the step-by-step naration useful. it takes a lot of time and work to do so i'm glad it is useful for people. i'm always trying to decide if i should bother with all that work or not. as long as someone finds it useful, i'll keep up with it.
are you gonna try another? if you found this build technique easy, you'll find that my MiG-15 and Boeing 727 are very similar.
-beanie
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:29 AM
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Man, I learned a ton from your Mig 21 build. And I had to change very little on the scale-down. I recommend everyone who builds with foam to read through the thread...It will definately change the way I build, and skin especially, from now on. Here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561587

The Mig 15 is also a plane I love. Do you think it would scale down to the 12oz range as easy as the Mig21 did? Ill have a look at the build thread.

Ive got alot on the plate right now, though. Finish and maiden Fishbed, build second He 162 version, contruct a new full-fuse Stuka (already started)...because looking at the remains of my last one is tearing me up It was flying SO good for the first 4 flights. Then a catastrophic wing failure at altitude, pretty much sent the whole project on a downward spiral, as the plane flew worse and worse after each flight, and got heavier, and heavier due to wing cracking. So today was it's final flights...I had tried in vain to strenthen the rubber-like, mostly hot-glue wings with skewers and all types of laminations....in vain. I might can fit another build in there somewhere...I wish your Thud was available.

Jasta
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:42 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,156 Posts
Jasta, think it will be tricky to fly ???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:08 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Jasta, think it will be tricky to fly ???

Holy cow, that MiG looks FAST (and nimble, and hard to fly, and very pretty)

Nice job Jasta! Nice design Beanie!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Oh, Ive no doubt it's going to be a beast to fly. My plan is get the CG close, chuck the fire out of it, point the nose skyward, hit the holy afterburner, and hang on.

Seriously, I know the wing is small, but I feel confident I can handle it. Im going to be very careful. Ive been worrying most about landings with the flying stab...one bad weed could catch and rip the whole tail off

Jasta
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
hey jasta-
i don't think it'll be that bad to fly. here is a vid made by H-J who beta-tested the plans for me. he shows you some of the stuff this bird can do. granted, he is an amazing pilot. enjoy.
http://media.putfile.com/MiG21ParkJet

tony- thanks!

-beanie
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:50 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta_66
I might can fit another build in there somewhere...I wish your Thud was available.

Jasta
jasta- don't worry, the Thud plans will get released in the relative near future. i'm almost done with the build/design. all i have left is the cockpit and then paint and armament. i also have some air cooling issues to address as well. i'll need a beta builder to test out the plans. once it has successfully flown, then the plans get released.
-beanie
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,156 Posts
WHOA!!! WHAT A ROCKET!!!! Love the music!!!... and a hand catch too ...
Jasta, sure you're ready for this one ??? After seeing the video , I know I sure am !!! Great job Beanie !!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:08 PM
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Well, I better get ready...its almost built. I aint got no hanger queens!

jasta
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
jasta - if you're going to maiden this one down in NOLA, please let me know before you launch!!! I wanna stand behind a tree!

heh

nah, looks like it'll be fun though! Be sure to get video of the maiden!
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Sep 14, 2007, 02:28 AM
Australia, NT, Winnellie
Joined Jul 2005
337 Posts
argh i cant get the video!!
spudandcat is offline Find More Posts by spudandcat