HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:38 AM
Batemans Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2007
97 Posts
Discussion
cheap rc car for 7yr old boy

gday all sorry to post crap like this,i am new to rc and been introduced to helis, i got a lama v3 ,anyway my boy is turning 7 in a two weeks and my missus wont let me buy one of those little helis for him,she has agreed to get him his first rc car,any sugestions on what i should get him.advice/threads/anything at all much apreceiated.thanks for any info.cheers.James
femur is offline Find More Posts by femur
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:51 AM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
What's your budget, where do you want run it, off-road or street. For an off-road suggestion, take a look at the RC18 or generic version of it. You might look into the AirHogs Havoc Heli (if they're available in Australia, In the USA they're sold in Walmart stores for $30); they're safe, cheap and fun, only 2 ch though.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2007
287 Posts
RadioShack ProPulse is cheap initially at $99, but the parts are MUCH higher than vehicles that are more expensive initially.It may be a cheap way to judge his interest level. If you're looking for something bigger and more durable that he can grow into and want to spend a bit more, then maybe look to a RTR Stampede kit. Kids love monster trucks and you can get one of these with everything you need for less than $200. Parts are readily available and the vehicle is quite durable. For the love of God, please don't buy a Nikko, Tyco, or especially NewBright or any other department-store car.....

good luck......
CaptainRC is offline Find More Posts by CaptainRC
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
Panama
Joined Nov 2006
123 Posts
What about the Traxxas Bandit RTR with ESC?
Capt.Camping is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Camping
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
Not sure that there's a RadioShack in Australia. Propulse may be unavailable there. The Bandit is great as long as you realize it's not a hard-core off-roader.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:15 AM
Batemans Bay Australia
Joined Jul 2007
97 Posts
gday all thanks for the replys will look at all your suggestions,i will have to order something pretty soon to be here by his birthday,will have to be offroad for the dirt backyard we have,thanks again cheers James.
femur is offline Find More Posts by femur
Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2006
394 Posts
To be Honest..
Jump on E-bay and get a HBX Bonzer Tiger or a HBX Skyline/Lancer.

I think the Bonzer would be a good Idea..
I mean there are some Pretty good sand runs along Casey's Beach and some good rock crawling area's near Surf Beach...

Just decide if you want to go onroad or off...
magnat is offline Find More Posts by magnat
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:27 AM
slidey123456
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
rc electric monster truck, new bright

i just got an electric newbright 4x4 for under 100 i go mine in maplins (UK) but i know u can get them in walmart stores in the us, its big (1:6) and with me it has worked on soil,sand,grass,gravel and can climb steep hills, i would suggest this as there's no getting stuck on rocks or carpets!
slidey123456 is offline Find More Posts by slidey123456
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:05 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,775 Posts
i agree with magnat on the bonzer great trucks very durable and the price is right.... you can also look into the Exceed trucks and buggies.. very well made and the price is right ready to run

as far as the newbright.. their ok.. kinda slow and lacking in power.. for the same money you can get either of the 2 i mentioned above
turbored21 is online now Find More Posts by turbored21