Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
My story is two days old.

Sunday I flew the crap out of the Starfire, no, not a Spark, just a good training platform for guys doing a transition from prop to EDF jets.

I landed the thing a few times and the peanut gallery made comments about the long roll outs, one time a few bounces. So, I asked the club President and hot shot heli pilot if he wanted to take a shot at it. On occasion he also flies a giant Top Flite P-51. He wanted me to take the plane off, so I did, then handed him the box. He flew it fine, nothing out of the ordinary, a roll here and there, but he couldn't land it. The peanut gallery got very quiet as he did 3 or 4 missed landings than gave up and porpoised it down the runway into the dirt. He then walked away swearing about how hard it was...reputation tarnished...No damage cause the gear is fixed, it just bent.

That is how jet pilots get respect, it isn't as easy as it looks.

What someone finds out for themselves is pricelessly more valuable that anything told to them!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:01 PM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
I hear it all the time, the field closest to me has a 12' x 250 ft runway and they dont understand why its harder for a 12lb jet to land on it than a Pitts biplane, or a Thundertiger trainer and why it takes a good portion of the runway to get airborne instead of 10' like a propjob
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
Old Jul 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
GRX
My hats off to you bro... I could not land my spark in 250 if I tried

the club closet to me is 400 ft.. but I drive an hour to fly off 1000 ft...

you got skills

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
You guys are lucky to have a decent field to fly at at all. My club is full or "old timers" that had never even seen an edf until I flew one there when I joined a year ago. We moved to a new site a few weeks ago (which they chose too close to houses and oriented so the approach is right in line with one of the houses) and already the neighbors are complaining about my Spark. The pres told me "be sure not to fly over that house" as I was taxi'ing out over the weekend. All they do is traditional slow flying circuits and some in close 3d. Anything else is voodoo. They don't understand that you can't do flying of this kind within a couple hundred meters. Can't wait till I pull out my FPV stuff. You would think that a place as big as Charlotte NC would have a decent club/field within an hours drive.

Really getting bummed out/frustrated with not having a proper place to fly.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:19 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
Sorry to hear that bud... that sucks

any low traveled country roads... I have a few spot around my area I can fly off roads... I also fly off a huge soccer fieild sometimes... but not my big jets

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Yeah I have a park nearby that I can fly most of my stuff at, but that leaves out my 2 jets and 60size P51. I need a field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:45 PM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
You guys are lucky to have a decent field to fly at at all. My club is full or "old timers" that had never even seen an edf until I flew one there when I joined a year ago. We moved to a new site a few weeks ago (which they chose too close to houses and oriented so the approach is right in line with one of the houses) and already the neighbors are complaining about my Spark. The pres told me "be sure not to fly over that house" as I was taxi'ing out over the weekend. All they do is traditional slow flying circuits and some in close 3d. Anything else is voodoo. They don't understand that you can't do flying of this kind within a couple hundred meters. Can't wait till I pull out my FPV stuff. You would think that a place as big as Charlotte NC would have a decent club/field within an hours drive.

Really getting bummed out/frustrated with not having a proper place to fly.
I feel your pain, I have the only EDF's within 100 miles.
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
Yeah, a good-sized jet really needs more from a flying site than other aircraft. In my case, the runway is great but some nearby power lines have turned out to be a bit of a problem.

I tend to do long approaches with everything I fly, but especially with jets, so I need to practice getting comfortable with shorter approaches. I had one experience stalling a jet during a slow banked turn on approach, which left me sort of paranoid...
gobeezer is offline Find More Posts by gobeezer
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:22 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,942 Posts
Anyone can take off and bore holes in the sky. Come land your big turbine at our field... then you become a pilot! 425' long x 25 feet wide, downhill and twisted, always in a cross wind... 50' cliff at one end and steep wall at the other... no runoff area.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,942 Posts
gobeezer, is there still a field at Jantzen beach park? I use to fly there when I lived in Portland/Gresham/Hillsboro area. THAT was an awesome field!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
I haven't heard of a park at Jantzen Beach but I'll check on it.
gobeezer is offline Find More Posts by gobeezer
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:26 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
Maybe I'm dreaming, but when I saw Tam's video of the A-4 doing a short field takeoff and landing, it sold me.

The problem is learning to land nose high with lots of power, obviously it takes practice on a longer runway.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:34 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Ok, so here's a question. Say you job allowed you to live anywhere in the US and your only location consideration was being near some nice flying sites. Where would you choose? What place has the most nice fields close by?

As a matter of fact, I am surprised that there isn't a forum on RCG that showcases flying sites etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:23 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,942 Posts
Probably just outside of Phoenix, AZ. There is a place called "Speedworld". It is an extreme sports park. It has a race track, a drag strip, off road track, and a beautiful model airpark with a 1000' x 70' perfectly flat and paved runway... even has runoffs at each end. You can fly year round there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:39 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,249 Posts
What about Sara Park in Havasu? Doesn't it meet the same criteria. I saw jets fly there, I was there the day one got lost. A fellow named Scott was flying it.

I was the guy next to him, the guy he tried to help when I had a Spektrum failure, I also was the guy that was also next to him at the AZ Electric Festival in 2008. The guy with the motor home next to his. Small world, isn't it.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jul 13, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: grammar