to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2007, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Phelps
I got one the same day Bob did. I've just started to work on it. Like Bob said, it's very nice. I'm going to use the DS-75 as soon as I can get one.

Jim
I had a new DS75 turn up the other day, so they are starting to ship, I am trying mine with an 8mm 1521 1.5y as the LMT internally cooled motor is still not available.
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Nov 05, 2007, 06:47 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
dont forget cooling is nice while running but does nothing for when you shut down, and heat soak after shut down is way hotter than running. specially when you have a fan that has forced cooling built in anyway. cause with Ds while there running they get cooled plenty, but the air doesn't stay long enough to really cool the motor down. But dont get me wrong any added cooling is a great thing! Long as it doesnt adversly effect running loads.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:17 AM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Got the DS 75..... Had to cut new former got the new one a bit lighter, real nice size fan for the YA / F16 never felt comfortable with the 120mm fans for this model.
when i read one of Barry's posts about using a smaller fan in the YA/F16, that took away any doubts.
Thanks Barry for your valuable info.
Zimm is offline Find More Posts by Zimm
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:08 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkamarm2000
dont forget cooling is nice while running but does nothing for when you shut down, and heat soak after shut down is way hotter than running. specially when you have a fan that has forced cooling built in anyway. cause with Ds while there running they get cooled plenty, but the air doesn't stay long enough to really cool the motor down. But dont get me wrong any added cooling is a great thing! Long as it doesnt adversly effect running loads.

Barry
The design is such that the air is pumped in at the front and expelled via the rear, you can still fit a heat sink around it if you wish. My DS94/2250-13 combo has a current draw increase of about 4-5amps at high extended throttle settings as the temperature increases. But fortunatly I only open the throttle full for short climbing bursts.

Jim

Just booked my ticket to SEFF next year, look forward to seeing the "Twin" Sparks go if you and "Binocular Bob" can make it?

Zim

Ooohh like that idea, have you made an adapter for the inlet registration?
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:48 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,739 Posts
Steve,
I made room reservations 3 months ago so I will be there.
I've only missed one SEFF out 6 years and that was the second one and I don't plan on letting that happen again! Just too much fun. So Jim and I will see you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistling Watts
The design is such that the air is pumped in at the front and expelled via the rear, you can still fit a heat sink around it if you wish. My DS94/2250-13 combo has a current draw increase of about 4-5amps at high extended throttle settings as the temperature increases. But fortunatly I only open the throttle full for short climbing bursts.

Jim

Just booked my ticket to SEFF next year, look forward to seeing the "Twin" Sparks go if you and "Binocular Bob" can make it?

Zim

Ooohh like that idea, have you made an adapter for the inlet registration?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:59 AM
Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox, Kentucky, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,125 Posts
May have a DS-75 by then!

I'll be there, haven't missed any. We'll go back to the Mexican restaurant for a few pitchers of margaritas

Jim
Jim Phelps is offline Find More Posts by Jim Phelps
Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:32 AM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Zim

Ooohh like that idea, have you made an adapter for the inlet registration?[/QUOTE]

I am going to make a plug from the end of the front duct, to the DS 75 fan.
the plug will be CNC, i will make a horizontal split lay-up from the plug, this is so that it can be removed. this will allow me to make the inner duct smooth and level.
i know there are easer options but it has to be the best way posable.

Plug dimensions
Long 155 mm
duct end 134 mm
DS 75 110 mm

zim
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:11 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
sounds good zim! sounds nuts I know! but might wanna give the turbine inlet a few test runs as well. I know its on the small side but! it still has roughly 90 to 100mm area in it but its much striaghter and has no added holes in it. So I would venture to guess the slightly under sized but smooth, cheater hole less turbine inlet, would flow to 110 DS fan better than odd sized and shaped 5 inch gas inlet would to 120mm fan. Another way on the plug is maybe make it to slip fit in what ever duct you end up using, and slip fit inside fan, so basically your plug is the size of the area of the air. Then wax it and glass around it with wax paper at seam for pull off when dry. that way you only have one side to glass tape back together. Oh and to test flow on those inlets you can do a quik bench test with fan adapted right to the back of them to see if one has a major advantage over the other. Normally I'd say ignore static when you do and just look at watts and amps, but I bet in this case there is even a static advantage despite air efficiency. If you have eagle tree and can just check velocity then all the better. Once you know then mess with inlet in the plane and paper tube taped on front of fan, you might find you can preload fan with front duct section and slide it in without any rear access problems. This is how I did it for the Duct plug.

Barry
Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2004
466 Posts
Barry front duct front retract are already in, i wish i new there was a smother front duct for this model, the two cheater holes will disturbed the air, should i cut them thought or leave them closed ?

the wax paper sounds good, will give that a try,

Does drawings 1 have much more of an advantage over no 2
for drag ?
Zim
Old Nov 23, 2007, 03:19 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
either will work, and if front is already in it gets funny cause you may have 120m area in front duct and 110mm area in back one, so can get draggy when it pinches down, And since your going smaller i would say close off cheaters for sure. maybe get in there and block them off then maybe smooth over with tad bit of glass.

Barry
Old Oct 01, 2008, 10:57 AM
electric power,what else!
Joined Dec 2005
268 Posts
Weight of the Spark Kit

Hi,

could anybody post the weight's of all the parts included in the Spark Kid?

Thanks & Cheers
eJets
eJets is offline Find More Posts by eJets
Old Oct 01, 2008, 01:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJets
Hi,

could anybody post the weight's of all the parts included in the Spark Kid?

Thanks & Cheers
eJets
My weight very light. AUW 10 lbs.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Oct 01, 2008, 01:38 PM
electric power,what else!
Joined Dec 2005
268 Posts
sorry, I am not looking for the AUW. I am looking for the parts weight coming out of the box (kit)...
eJets is offline Find More Posts by eJets
Old Oct 01, 2008, 01:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJets
sorry, I am not looking for the AUW. I am looking for the parts weight coming out of the box (kit)...

I don't have kit to weight it.
Maybe you should ask the factory for this information.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets