HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2009, 01:05 AM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
I had a good Memorial Day Spark flight, with takeoff from grass in about 90m (no wind). That's good enough, so for take-off purposes I won't mess further with my setup (12s Stumax, Jet1-A struts with front extended to max retractable length, MPI main wheels shaved to 2.4", COG about 5mm back from recommended, partial airbrake and slight aileron drop on takeoff).

As usual the HV110 was piping hot (fins too hot to touch). I've been looking at cooling fans, but am now considering Gordon's advice about using an ESC that's not so close to its limits. Gordon, Schulze gives the dimensions of the Future 40.160 as 130x73x21mm, which in scientific terms is bigger than two stacked Pop-Tarts! Have you put one in a Spark, and if so where?

The one I'm considering right now is the Kontronik Power Jazz 63v, which is rated for 15s and 120A (200 peak). It's heavy, but is dimensionally more like the 110v, has cooling fan already built in, and I assume would comfortably handle this setup. Does anyone have experience with the Kontronik Power Jazz?

Thanks,
-Mike
gobeezer is offline Find More Posts by gobeezer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2009, 01:22 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,224 Posts
Good Job Mike!!

On the Kontronik Power Jazz 63v last week I was talking to a good friend of mine that is a big time heli pilot... He is pushing his stuff as hard as us
He has a 900 sized Heli on 12s.. flying 3D
He is also an electrical engineer at lawerance livermore labs (military stuff)

His thought's on the power jazz is it's the best speed controller on the market... it ain't cheap... but you won't blow that bad boy

my problem with it in the spark is it's weight and size.... why don't you add a fan like I did and maybe the BVM naca ducts?... with a bit of cooling the CC110 is a great controller...

I have four of them now and have never had a problem caused by the speed controller until I put it in the spark on high timing with no airflow...

I'm sure it will be fine with airflow... add the fan and fly!!!

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 26, 2009, 08:46 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,506 Posts
Mike,
I have first hand experience with the Schulze that Gordon uses.
It survived 95 degree temps at 110 amps NO Problem. I temped the esc after each flight and it never exceeded 120 F, with absolutely NO airflow over the ESC.
I really like the Schluze products for EDF!

The 40-160 has a high spot were the dil switches are housed it should this the Spark along side the duct.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobeezer
I had a good Memorial Day Spark flight, with takeoff from grass in about 90m (no wind). That's good enough, so for take-off purposes I won't mess further with my setup (12s Stumax, Jet1-A struts with front extended to max retractable length, MPI main wheels shaved to 2.4", COG about 5mm back from recommended, partial airbrake and slight aileron drop on takeoff).

As usual the HV110 was piping hot (fins too hot to touch). I've been looking at cooling fans, but am now considering Gordon's advice about using an ESC that's not so close to its limits. Gordon, Schulze gives the dimensions of the Future 40.160 as 130x73x21mm, which in scientific terms is bigger than two stacked Pop-Tarts! Have you put one in a Spark, and if so where?

The one I'm considering right now is the Kontronik Power Jazz 63v, which is rated for 15s and 120A (200 peak). It's heavy, but is dimensionally more like the 110v, has cooling fan already built in, and I assume would comfortably handle this setup. Does anyone have experience with the Kontronik Power Jazz?

Thanks,
-Mike
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old May 26, 2009, 04:09 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
I've lengthened my nose wheel 15mm from its stock position with the use of collets and a longer 4mm pin, I've then heatshrunk it to tidy things up.
Hope this makes a difference.
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old May 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
Nice pictures Neil. That looks about the same angle as mine, though my nose might be a LITTLE higher (when retracting, my front wheel almost grazes the front support bulkead on its way in/out of the fuse).

Ron, I went ahead and ordered a few Evercool 5V "NanoFans", which measure 17x17x8mm. I'll attach them to the cooling fins on each side of the HV110 and see how much that helps.

-Mike
Old May 27, 2009, 01:59 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
Mine is about 5mm from the former, am I right in thinking you lowered the mains aswell?
Old May 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,903 Posts
Neil I am wondering if maybe some of your take-off problems is because of the spring shock type mains. I install a set of this type LG on a plane I had and the problem is they set the wheels back some ....much like moving the kit main gear to the rear. I found I needed more take-off speed and when the plane finally rotated it "jumped" into the air rather than a nice even flight.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old May 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
I didn't lower the mains, since the 2.5" MPI wheels, even when shaved down to 2.4", come fairly close to meeting in the middle when retracted.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Its looks like your main retracts are really tall, I went with the suspension nose strut and stiff struts on the mains. My tail is very close to the ground than compared to yours. Looks to me like your sticking to the ground with that AOA
Esprit Dean is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Dean
Old May 27, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
The manual recommends keeping the mains long to avoid tail scrapes. Having done that, the nose strut then needs to be REALLY long to get the nose up.

Madmax, you are right that the trailing link mains Neil and I use make rotation that much harder (impossible, I think, until you get enough lift to take most of the weight off of the mains).
Old May 27, 2009, 12:44 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
I'll try my longer nose wheel tomorrow. If it doesn't do the job I'll bend myself some wire mains to try and report back...I may even bend some tonight and take them with me.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, mine just has the wire struts, no jacked up nose, and it just takes right off. ~4500 watts seems to get it off the ground quick enough
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
Old May 27, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
GRX, how long are your take-offs from grass?
Old May 28, 2009, 03:55 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
I'm not convinced that there is any difference with the longer nose wheel.

Today there was 0 wind and the first flight took the entire strip to rotate.

For the second flight (hopefully video attached) I put full elevator in with increased throws (45deg ish) and from the video can see that this forced the tail to rub the ground until it took flight.

I intend putting some more lead in the tail to put the CG about 10mm behind the recommended spot (I'm already 5mm behind now) and fly again with the same elevator yank take off method on Saturday, forecast is for for 10mph winds.

The video is a mod file, so I'll convert it on my PC later to upload.
Last edited by Neil Guildford; May 28, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2551157