HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2009, 02:42 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,019 Posts
I'm surprised the rotor spun off in the first place.
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2009, 05:08 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,381 Posts
I we have a look at the opening page of the owner's manual it states never to put your fingers in the blades as they will break. They are perfectly strong for the task, but they are small and brittle. To tighten/loosen the nut you wrap your first finger and thumb around the spinner and grip it that way, just as it says so in the manual. I'm not quite sure why the rotor came off, I do them up nice and tight, and there are two drive pins in the rotor hub which engage in holes in the face of the shaft adapter. I'm guessing the brake must have been on max "brakingness" and the sudden jolt allowed things to slip just a little. From now on, I'll use a Nylock nut. Ron will have a new rotor soon. I don't keep them as spares - it's actually a bit of a pain to make a spare as it ties up the spinner mould which is in 100% utilisation making parts to fill backorders - but I'll have something done soon.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old May 23, 2009, 07:37 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,901 Posts
The blades on the Stumax are very easy to break and in fact Stu includes a warning about not holding onto the blades when tightening the rotor. I am still waiting on my replacement rotors. I broke all the blades off the rotor when the fan sucked up a piece of cloth on the runway. Ron you might want to do as I am doing....order two replacement rotors. This is one problem the Stumax has but I love this fan.....the sound is fantastic and I like the performance. I am wondering however if maybe the blades could be built a little stronger(I think I already know what Stu would say)
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old May 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
Thanks Stu,
I should have read through the instruction before tighting... I had no brake porgrammed on the ESC.. I never do
All I could think of is when the last ESC burned up... it might have hit some brake in the process? I nyloc will be a great idea... all I did was run the throttle up maybe an 1/8 then back off, I heard a wicked noise .... which was the rotor hanging loose on the back of the motor...
I'd say everybody put a nyloc so it doesn't happen in the air

Max I should have read your post before I ordered a new rotor.. having a back up is a great idea...

I'll order another right now.. great idea

I love Stu's fan, and this is completely my fault... Looks like it's going to be a couple weeks now bummer
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 23, 2009, 11:46 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,686 Posts
I hate that for you Ron! If it'll make you feel better, come on over to the house Monday and we'll go maiden my Spark!
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old May 23, 2009, 01:53 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin
How hard were ya wrenching?? Like Hulk hard or strawberry shortcake????
Man lavochkin you frikin crack me up

Dennis
DForbes is online now Find More Posts by DForbes
Old May 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Ron. Hopefully you will get back in the air soon. BTW, I finally got my jet in. It was more stress dealing with the company I ordered from than I could have imagined. I should have done some research in the vendor forums before I ordered. I still don't have all the parts like they promised but I will give it until the mail comes Tuesday, then its a call to my credit card co. and over to the vendor forum to lay it all out.

In any case, I think I will place an order for an extra rotor from Stu as well. By the way, has anyone custom painted the Spark themselves? I am not really satisfied with the fit and finish of some of the seams. I will probably go ahead and smooth them out and then do a custom paint job. Other than the normal stuff, scuff the surface, prime, paint, clearcoat, does anyone have any advice?

Also, I was surprised how flimsy the duct for the Stumax is compared to the duct for the 100mm setup. Has anyone stiffened it or is it ok like it is?

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 23, 2009, 04:24 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
Quote:
I hate that for you Ron! If it'll make you feel better, come on over to the house Monday and we'll go maiden my Spark!
Today 07:40 AM
Thanks Harry... if I was closer I'd fire that bad boy up for you
Have no worries it really is a breeze to fly ..your going to just love it
good luck my friend

Quote:
Also, I was surprised how flimsy the duct for the Stumax is compared to the duct for the 100mm setup. Has anyone stiffened it or is it ok like it is?
Thanks John.. it does suck.. but I know Stu will do his best to get me one soon.. I was just plain dumb
My duct was flimsy too.. I wraped it in two different spots with carbon tow and that did the trick.. nice and stiff now..
Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.. may I ask which vendor?
I'm sure you could paint it yourself... but I'd be really careful not to add weight... I've paint alot of warbirds and it's easy to over do it and add a 1/2 pound of paint and primer... but I'm sure it would look great

good luck
Ron
Old May 23, 2009, 04:25 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,901 Posts
Stu:
From now on, I'll use a Nylock nut.

Good idea Stu.......... what is the thread sizing on the nut as I think I will try and find a nylock nut for the fan.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old May 23, 2009, 05:42 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Ron do you have any pictures showing where you stiffened the duct with CF?

As for the vendor, I want to wait to see how it turns out first. I am going to give the the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah I definitely don't want to weigh it down with paint. I will think on this some more before I get started on that. I have been needing an excuse to buy an airbrush. I think I will do some testing first and see how much weight it adds to a piece of scrap. Maybe I will just add some vinyl graphics. I really like the plane and all but I wish they didn't have the name so darn big on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Thanks Harry... if I was closer I'd fire that bad boy up for you
Have no worries it really is a breeze to fly ..your going to just love it
good luck my friend

Thanks John.. it does suck.. but I know Stu will do his best to get me one soon.. I was just plain dumb
My duct was flimsy too.. I wraped it in two different spots with carbon tow and that did the trick.. nice and stiff now..
Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.. may I ask which vendor?
I'm sure you could paint it yourself... but I'd be really careful not to add weight... I've paint alot of warbirds and it's easy to over do it and add a 1/2 pound of paint and primer... but I'm sure it would look great

good luck
Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
Hey John,
Here's a picture... you can see the the tow around the duct and intake duct

I also put a bit on top of the intake duct where the battery sits
also on the fuse floor under the cockpit where there two 4s packs sit

Ron
Old May 23, 2009, 09:54 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Hey John,
Here's a picture... you can see the the tow around the duct and intake duct

I also put a bit on top of the intake duct where the battery sits
also on the fuse floor under the cockpit where there two 4s packs sit

Ron

Cool! Thanks Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 08:02 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Hey, how are you guys getting the fan unit in with the intake duct? It is exactlt the right length so I can't install it after I mount the fan, and I cant install the fan with the duct already on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 08:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,220 Posts
Trim the duct where is hook on the fan until the stu max slips all the way up into the lip.. no gap

Then remove a bit of wood from the former behind the fan so it can slip back until it hits the rig on the fan

then trim the other end just a touch so it can drop in..

tape the duct to the fan... install at a 45 degree angel
the drop the whole thing in place.. slide it forward into place and tape it up

if you need a few pictures to understand better let me know

I can go out there tonight.. I had to think about that one myself
but it works just a tight fit

Ron
Old May 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,224 Posts
Thanks Ron. I have the duct trimmed all the way so it fits flush on the housing. I was guessing I would have to trim the wood a but was hoping I wouldn't. I will let you know if I need some picts. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member