GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Dean

This is what we have to say about it:

EM Spark Jet EDF100 (Esprit Model Custom Paint):
The Spark EDF is consequently designed as a very lightweight all-composite structure, with features similar to a world class F3A-Pattern plane. Lightest lay-ups, perfectly engineered aerodynamics and structural reinforcements only where they are needed; the Spark is perfectly suited for electric ducted fan flying (EDF).
Cool thats the same thing CARF and Ductedfans had to say....
Click

Click Me Too!

No offense but if your gonna cut and paste at least use it in a way that's correct, if you start a paragraph with "consequently" then there should have been a statement prior to that that then leads into the "consequence" (i.e.) "Our goal with the Spark was to make a really cool EDF that was within most modelers budget but yet offered alot of the high performance features that you EDF guys crave, consequently the Spark EDF is designed as a very lightweight all-composite structure blah blah blah.

Excuse the rant but stuff like that bugs me
GRX is offline Find More Posts by GRX
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965
Nice looking bird Dean.....however us Fl. flyers must contend with state sales tax to fly one of them........
We actually offer site wide discounts on purchases of this amount, and also a discount code you can enter on the checkout page "EMDC20" with these savings combined will probably meet or exceed the actual cost of the taxes being charged. Theres your answer LOL!
Esprit Dean is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Dean
Old May 22, 2009, 04:07 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,016 Posts
This is what I've asked Digitech to price as a replacement nose strut to the Jet 1A.

Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old May 22, 2009, 08:27 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,869 Posts
Neil.....these are nice.

http://www.goldenskiesrc.com/Products_Landing_gear.html
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old May 22, 2009, 08:51 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,016 Posts
Thanks, much cheaper, but not quite long enough.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:13 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Neil, to make sure I am on board with what you are looking for....

You are trying to find a more suitable strut for grass correct? If so, I am as well. So you are currently looking for a set of sprung struts that has a taller nose strut to give a better AOA on takeoff?

Please let me know what you end up with. My plane just arrived but the gear was missing so I may be ordering a set of 301s and would want to get a good set of sprung struts to go with it. By the way, is there any consideration about what size struts would fit? I mean do you have to cut anything if you go with sprung struts? How long of a nose strut can be used without modification?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 22, 2009, 09:13 AM
electric power,what else!
Joined Dec 2005
268 Posts
Benchtesting

Hi,

Did today the first benchtesting with my drive in the modell installed

Motor: NM1515-3D
Fan: DS-75
Batteries: ExtrmePower EVO 35C (8s, 4Ah)

==> 115A@27V (peak 123A) = 3.1kW
(Elevation 500m, outsideTemp 20C)

and here the pre-built calculation

cheers eJets
eJets is offline Find More Posts by eJets
Old May 22, 2009, 09:29 AM
Joined Apr 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Neil, to make sure I am on board with what you are looking for....

You are trying to find a more suitable strut for grass correct? If so, I am as well. So you are currently looking for a set of sprung struts that has a taller nose strut to give a better AOA on takeoff?

Please let me know what you end up with. My plane just arrived but the gear was missing so I may be ordering a set of 301s and would want to get a good set of sprung struts to go with it. By the way, is there any consideration about what size struts would fit? I mean do you have to cut anything if you go with sprung struts? How long of a nose strut can be used without modification?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Here take a look at these retracts, I have flown off of decent grass and flew it last at Joe Nall and rolled off the end of the runway into the thick grass and these puppies took it at high speed.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=9500
Esprit Dean is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Dean
Old May 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Dean
Here take a look at these retracts, I have flown off of decent grass and flew it last at Joe Nall and rolled off the end of the runway into the thick grass and these puppies took it at high speed.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=9500

Thanks Dean, but those are the ones I ordered that were missing from my package I just received from you guys. I already spoke to ZB and am waiting for a call back. If they are not already on the way I am looking for an alternative.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2009, 09:36 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
If take of from grass. Go for 2.5" main wheels. The wheels pod will had larger holes. But I don't see it cause me much lost in high speed. Still 190 mph level flight.
I do offer Spark retract with 2.5" main wheels as request.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old May 22, 2009, 09:56 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,212 Posts
Ok, so I just got notified they are on the way in a separate package.

Anyway, so to help with grass takeoff go with a larger wheel and have a longer front strut?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,016 Posts
Mine currently takes off from only very short grass in about 80m. I have the Jet 1A retracts and struts which I'm looking to change the nose strut for a longer one with larger wheel. My current ones are 55mm, which is too small. If this works I will also look to change the nose strut on my Savex L-39 which sufferes the same problem to a lesser degree.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:39 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Well I'm just so mad at myself...
I have the new speed controller installed, added the cooling exits, then wired up the little fan which works great
it also only draws 20 mah in 6:00...lol.. so no problem there.. I found a 12v one that I'm running off the 3s flight pack (techspys idea) and it works great

Well heres where it goes bad.. After programming the ESC I plug in to check the fan... I give it a touch of throttle and the rotor falls off the Stu Max..
I'd guess that when I fried the ESC it went to brake and spun the rotor loose

So now big deal... I get the fan out... put the rotor back on... I start to tighten it up and it's slipping in my hand .. I put my fingers through the blades to grip...I tighten and pop.. three blades break off the rotor... no!!!!

I'm such a jerk... it would have flown this weekend... I'm really pissed at myself...

I put in an email to Stu and hope he can send me a replacement soon
until then it's grounded

bad start too the weekend...

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old May 22, 2009, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
How hard were ya wrenching?? Like Hulk hard or strawberry shortcake???? If they popped off that easily maybe there was a defect or flaw in the layup. Maybe it was a godsend it happened to you this way instead of grenading in the air on you and possibly destroying your jet. Just my HO.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old May 22, 2009, 10:27 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Quote:
How hard were ya wrenching?? Like Hulk hard or strawberry shortcake???? If they popped off that easily maybe there was a defect or flaw in the layup. Maybe it was a godsend it happened to you this way instead of grenading in the air on you and possibly destroying your jet. Just my HO.
LoL... that's funny
Not really all that hard.. I was surprised at how easy they broke
then I was pissed at myself for doing that... but you do make a good point
That makes me feel a bit better about it
blades flying out the side of my plane would suck too...lol.. or stuck in my neck

I just want to fly this thing again... oh well.. what can you do
Just wait and get it fixed

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101