HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:11 AM
Raptor90
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
I bought the Spark from harrymc if you all didn't know. I have just finished another project so i can get started on changing out the receiver and getting it ready to fly. As he stated the damage to the fuse was minor and very easy to repair. He did a great job on building it and i'm looking forward to the maiden. Can't promise this week but maybe next weekend if all goes well. Stay tuned!
raptor90 is offline Find More Posts by raptor90
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
Made the mistake of giving the wing to a custom bike/car painter. One of those friend of a friend situations. Still waiting for it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor90 View Post
Made the mistake of giving the wing to a custom bike/car painter. One of those friend of a friend situations. Still waiting for it.
I made the mistake of trying to paint it myself lol. Never used a spray gun before so it took lots of trial and error and wetsanding. Finally figured it out and I have the white done. Just need to do the red. I'm gonna take it to a guy that does this kind of stuff for the jet guys. If he's reasonable, I'd rather avoid doing it again. This is not easy work for a novice.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
That looks pretty bright and shiny to me. I'm no Rembrandt with a paint gun so I thought it would save time having a pro do it. Guess i was wrong. I'll get her in the air some time in the near future, i hope!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:05 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
With a little polishing the white came out like a bowl of milk. Very happy with the result, but I agree it may not have been worth all the time and mess.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,307 Posts
looks good tick
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:15 AM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
Spoke too soon. Got the call last night. Did a great job of matching the colors and the pattern. Way better that i would have done. Looks like a new wing. Now i can get this thing ready to maiden.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
looks good tick
Thanks Stone. I decided to let a pro finish it up. I might be converting this one to turbine

Looks great Raptor! This paint matching/airbrushing stuff is a real art.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post

Looks great Raptor! This paint matching/airbrushing stuff is a real art.
And time consuming! That's why i let someone else do it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:47 PM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor90 View Post
Spoke too soon. Got the call last night. Did a great job of matching the colors and the pattern. Way better that i would have done. Looks like a new wing. Now i can get this thing ready to maiden.
That looks awesome. It's always better to let someone else do what they do best if you don't feel comfortable with the job at hand. Good luck keep us updated.
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Raptor90
Joined Jun 2008
179 Posts
Just need to set up my futaba receiver in it and make some adjustments and it will be ready. Not sure about this weekend but maybe next.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Finally got my Spark maidened on Sunday. I have been working on it since October. Stumax 100-45 with HET 700-83-1080, Kontronic ESC, not sure this is accurate but my WattsUp meter gave me 5200W, 140A on 10 S 60C GENS Ace 5300mA. Stu said he tested it with a 40C batteries and got 4500W. Tam Jets E retracts with brakes, BVM Brake Master cyl. JR servos on all flying surfaces. Never had an E ducted fan before, the last ducted fan flew was in the 80s an HOB F86 with an OS46DF. Needless to say scared the $#!+ out of me on the first flight, kept throtle between 50%-70% after it was off the ground...still too FAST! Didn't think I was able to land it, but after a few slow passes as slow as I dare too, it actually touch the ground with no drama at all. Second flight was much better, got to do a couple of full throttle low passes...WOOHOO!!! Still need to work on the landing, I think I can slow it dowm much more, but for now I will keep the speed up. The TamJets wheel brakes sure help slow this baby down the runway!
Borc is offline Find More Posts by Borc
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Jan 2009
418 Posts
Best landing jet ever...very predictable and land smooth every time!
txshan130 is offline Find More Posts by txshan130
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:59 PM
DrV
Joined Jan 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borc View Post
Finally got my Spark maidened on Sunday. I have been working on it since October. Stumax 100-45 with HET 700-83-1080, Kontronic ESC, not sure this is accurate but my WattsUp meter gave me 5200W, 140A on 10 S 60C GENS Ace 5300mA. Stu said he tested it with a 40C batteries and got 4500W. Tam Jets E retracts with brakes, BVM Brake Master cyl. JR servos on all flying surfaces. Never had an E ducted fan before, the last ducted fan flew was in the 80s an HOB F86 with an OS46DF. Needless to say scared the $#!+ out of me on the first flight, kept throtle between 50%-70% after it was off the ground...still too FAST! Didn't think I was able to land it, but after a few slow passes as slow as I dare too, it actually touch the ground with no drama at all. Second flight was much better, got to do a couple of full throttle low passes...WOOHOO!!! Still need to work on the landing, I think I can slow it dowm much more, but for now I will keep the speed up. The TamJets wheel brakes sure help slow this baby down the runway!

Congratulations,

You can slow down the spark to almost a crawl. If its balanced correctly it will practically land itself if you hold flare. Mine does not tip stall just sinks. Very predictable.

Good luck and enjoy.
DrV is offline Find More Posts by DrV
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,307 Posts
congrats on your flights! the spark CG is very sensative. when set up correctly, the jet will land very slowly in high alpha. much slower then you'd expect.

cheers and happy flying.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer