HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
Not Funny......
Mike Warren's Avatar
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
what timing settings should I be using for my 1521 1.5 ??? anyone? Im currently set on low timing and 8kh.
Its an obvious timing issue.
I usually find nothing to be "obvious" with high power EDF...

I don't use the "auto LiPo detect" but rather set cutoff at 2.8-3.0V/cell
-hard cutoff
-brake disabled
-low timing
-11/12/13hz whichever is offered by the ESC
-currrent limiting either "insensitive" or "disabled"

Past that it is either the ESC or poor batteries........
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:03 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
I usually find nothing to be "obvious" with high power EDF...

I don't use the "auto LiPo detect" but rather set cutoff at 2.8-3.0V/cell
-hard cutoff
-brake disabled
-low timing
-11/12/13hz whichever is offered by the ESC
-currrent limiting either "insensitive" or "disabled"

Past that it is either the ESC or poor batteries........

Using a hard LVC cut off on the esc? That is ABSOLUTELY INSANE ON ANY $2000+ setup!!!!!!

Disable that LVC and time your flights!!! Better to run $200 in batteries into the ground rather than your plane. To suddenly lose all power at a critical moment would be catastrophic on a heavy EDF. Also, if you have a cell go bad you could drop under the LVC but still have plenty of power to get to the runway and land.
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
351 Posts
I have to agree with Mike. on the cut off.

Hard cut off any day.
In N Out is offline Find More Posts by In N Out
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:02 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
stoneenforcer's Avatar
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,307 Posts
batts are very good. going to set it back to default. see what happens.

Could very well be the ESC. fingers crossed! hard cutoff?... screw that! :-))
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:24 PM
Registered User
neversommer's Avatar
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
batts are very good. going to set it back to default. see what happens.

Could very well be the ESC. fingers crossed! hard cutoff?... screw that! :-))
Stone, we had some people flying F3A machines with cc160 or less powerful esc's or even Hacker. The problem sometimes seemed to be the actual firmware of the esc,causing trouble.

Check if you can update otherwise the firmware of your esc and try again..

Not saying it would work, but it is worth a try.

Good Luck and fly safe!

Rather destroy your Batteries then a 3000 dollar Jet.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2009
430 Posts
There is a better way. I use the Unilog along with my Jeti telemetry to have real time update on the used capacity on my Tx display. In addition I set an alarm at about 70% of the capacity of my batteries, eg at 3000mAh when flying with 4000mAh cells.
No more use of timers, enough safety buffer to land safely w/o the risk to destroy your lipos. And positive side effect you can get the rpm, temp, airspeed etc logged as well during flight.
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,695 Posts
I use the hard cutoff so I can hear the motor shutdown. It will only happen at full power unless you have just absolutely over flown your pack. Bad Idea!

You hear and sense the LVC, power back and land!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
Registered User
Tumbler's Avatar
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,085 Posts
As soon as the motor cuts off, just bring the throttle to low position and the ESC resets and you have power again. You can fly at half throttle and set up for landing.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:43 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiwo1 View Post
There is a better way. I use the Unilog along with my Jeti telemetry to have real time update on the used capacity on my Tx display. In addition I set an alarm at about 70% of the capacity of my batteries, eg at 3000mAh when flying with 4000mAh cells.
No more use of timers, enough safety buffer to land safely w/o the risk to destroy your lipos. And positive side effect you can get the rpm, temp, airspeed etc logged as well during flight.
We are just getting real time telemetry your setup is the best way!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:33 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,451 Posts
New video of thetick's spark taken today. Was experimenting with the 720p setting on my HTC evo. Kind of dark for some reason...

HD VIDEO of CompARF Spark - 5700 WATTS - FAST RADIO CONTROL EDF RC JET ON RADAR (3 min 40 sec)
Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
Spoooooon!
TheTick's Avatar
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
The purpose of this flight was to get a baseline and compare it to my new 11s pack which runs almost 2kw less power. I ended up breaking the pin in my front strut when I went into the grass. The plane turns hard left when I apply the brakes and I couldn't compensate with steering. Need to figure out how to even out the braking action.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
Need to figure out how to even out the braking action.
Cleaning and re-lubing the breaks should do the trick.
In N Out is offline Find More Posts by In N Out
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:02 PM
Spoooooon!
TheTick's Avatar
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by In N Out View Post
Cleaning and re-lubing the breaks should do the trick.
I wiped out most of the lube because the brakes hardly grab as it is. I was using silicone grease. I'll try silicone shock oil next.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
I wiped out most of the lube because the brakes hardly grab as it is. I was using silicone grease. I'll try silicone shock oil next.

Let me know how the silicone shock oil works as I've never heard of anyone having used it before.
In N Out is offline Find More Posts by In N Out
Last edited by In N Out; Apr 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:57 AM
Spoooooon!
TheTick's Avatar
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by In N Out View Post
Let me know how the silicone shock oil works as I've never heard of anyone having used it before.
My buddy just told me to try it and I remember Tam saying he uses it as well. I've got plenty of different weight shock oil from my rc car racing days. I'll keep you posted.
TheTick is online now Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp ARF Impact Bill Mixon Site Chat 5 Nov 01, 2005 05:04 PM
31% Comp-Arf Video Splummer Sport Planes 19 Aug 20, 2005 02:12 PM
Sold Comp ARF YAK 2.6 w. DA 100 Ulf Rieder Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 05, 2005 05:08 PM
Comp ARF whistle for AFP Fly-guy Simulators 0 Jan 06, 2005 02:47 AM
NEW Comp-ARF Extra 2x2 kody'd'punk Sport Planes 43 Dec 09, 2004 10:17 PM