HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,416 Posts
Richard,
Install the Female Bullet on the battery POS Lead, Male on the Black.
I also shorten the red wire by the length of the bullet to keep the leads from toucing with the wires beside each other.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Evans View Post
I've always used Anderson Powerpoles for power connections up until now, but for this higher current application I am using the 6mm connectors, (not sure what they are called). (male seems to be 6mm, female is 7mm)
is there a standard for which wire gets the male and which one gets the female?
For example when putting connectors on the battery, should the red + wire get the male, or the black - one. If there is no standard or more common way, I would probably put the maie on the red battery wire, but if there is a common way to do it, I would do it according to the common way!

got my Kontronik PowerJive 120 in today. it is pretty small and there is a metal plate on one side that you can attach a heat sink to. It will be easy to get cooling to it. The controller has a nice feature of automatically adjusting the motor timing to adapt to the timing the motor wants. Also, the user manual talks about a freewheeling capability, and partial load operation of which I'm not too sure what those mean. I think that it might mean you can use less half throttle without wasting lots of power and heating the ESC.
maybe someone can translate those terms for me.

It also supplies up to 15 amps BEC, even with up to 12s! I has with two BEC outputs, to allow for a second current path. (although the recommendation is to still have a 4 cell receiver pack to as well to provide redundancy which makes perfect sense). To me, this nearly fool-proofs receiver power failures.

Richard
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Thanks Robert, but darn! I got impatient, and found a conflicting info on another thread, and did the opposite already. I put connectors on the speed controller and watt meter leads, but not the batteries yet. I have to decide if I want to redo them now!

the reason stated in the other thread for the male on the battery positive was that when charging from a charger in your vehicle, that would mean the positive charger lead would be female, thus less likely to accidently short to the car chassis creating a short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Richard,
Install the Female Bullet on the battery POS Lead, Male on the Black.
I also shorten the red wire by the length of the bullet to keep the leads from toucing with the wires beside each other.
Bob
Richard Evans is offline Find More Posts by Richard Evans
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:39 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Question for Stu

Let me check to see if I understand before drilling some holes. I plan to put the controller in the opening at the rear of the cockpit above the duct.
then I can drill two small openings in the duct to the rear of where the heat sink ends, then I can box in around three edges of the controller sealing it to the upper skin of the duct. This will draw incoming air from the cockpit area through the heat sink and into the duct joiner in front of the fan. Is that a good plan?

Also of interest. the controller is set to provide 5.5 volts BEC, and that is provided to the receiver via two different channels with no switch. I also have 4 cell nimh 1800 mah pack connected with a Y cable to the capacitor/voltage monitor switched through a switch as seen in the pictures I posted to the battery port on the receiver. Interesting with this configuration is that I first turn on the receiver switch and I can read the voltage that shows about 5 volts on power up with a fully charged NIMH pack under static load. Then when I connect power for the ESC/Motor, I see the voltage climb to 5.4 volts as the BEC goes into a "charge" mode and pulls up the NIMH pack voltage a little. If I turn off the receiver switch, I am still in good shape and the BEC takes over. When I am done, I can disconnect the main battery, and turn off the receiver switch, it still takes a good minute or two for the receiver to shut down due to the capacitor holding up the voltage.
comfortingly redundant!

Thanks
RE
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:06 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,416 Posts
Richard I never had any issue with cooling regarding the HV 110 with Stu's fan in the Spark.
Regarding the connectors I see no issue with your setup just cover the positive lead (male bullet) to prevent a dead short!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Well Robert, I burned mine up, but it likely was my own fault. First, I did some static run-ups on the bench with a 12s setup and ran WOT for maybe too long. When I shut down and measured the heat the heat sinks on the 110HV were 175 dg. I don't know what the tolerance is for that much heat, but if that was over the tolerance, it could explain why the next time a ran it on 10s, it blew!.. or it could be static, I handled it without regards to ESD concerns because I hadn't heard of any static damage issues. live and learn!
R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Richard I never had any issue with cooling regarding the HV 110 with Stu's fan in the Spark.
Regarding the connectors I see no issue with your setup just cover the positive lead (male bullet) to prevent a dead short!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Ready for Flight

Got the XPs batteries in that I was waiting for, and got things tied down and dialed in, and CG'd and she's ready to maiden.
Did so testing on the bench and got some stats.

I am using the 45c XPS 4000 platinum 5s packs for a 10c configuration.
the no load fully charged packs in series showed 42.42 volts. I ran up to full throttle and showed 92 amps peak. max watts was about 3600. after settling down, voltage was down to about 35 volts. I ran it at half throttle for a bit and repeatedly checking the ESC for heat, them a few more spurts of WOT.

I'm not sure if the 45c cells are living up to my expectations or not. while that seems to a little bit low for the point of the test where the batteries were about 40% discharged, it could very well be that some voltage was dropped in the metering and leads. a shunt for measuring the amps probably dropped a little and the wiring to transition to deans from bullet connectors (also with only 12 gauge wire) dropped it some more. It is very possible that without the watt meter in line the specs would look a lot better.
I bet peak wattage could be over 4000 and the voltage half way through the discharge could be up a volt or two as well from the reading I got.

It showed that during the test, I consumed about 1.480 amp hours which agrees somewhat with my Hyperion EOS0160i Duo III charger said when I sync charged the packs, about 1540 watts went back in.

Note# I wanted to try to go 10s 45c instead of 12s 25c. I was hoping that with the higher C value would approximate a lower C 11s setup. I don't think I achieved that goal, but if it flies well, I will be happy!

I have 25c 4500 6s packs I could have used, but I was prefer a long lasting, limited level of equipment abuse, a little slower with less heat. Therefore the 10s 45c experiment. Now if it will just take off from grass!

Anyway, the thrust feels amazing, although I couldn't measure it and the controller barely got warm even though I had no airflow (haven't put any holes in the duct yet, waiting on confirmation from Stu)
I'll probably fly it this weekend it the weather is right.

RE
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
Quote:
I ran up to full throttle and showed 92 amps peak. max watts was about 3600

Note# I wanted to try to go 10s 45c instead of 12s 25c. I was hoping that with the higher C value would approximate a lower C 11s setup. I don't think I achieved that goal, but if it flies well, I will be happy!
Richard you have achieved your goal! I run 11s 35c 5000 mah (Thunder Power)with my Stu Max and get 87 amps and 3600 watts... Mine flies with so much power at 3600 watts your just going to love it. Mine does 168 mph with unlimited vertical and 6:00 flights... I bet yours weighs less with out one cell also.. mine is 11.5 pounds... great job and hope you enjoy it

That's the most watts I've seen from a Stu Max on 10s...so I'd say the XPS cells are doing there job... Some guys are getting your numbers on 12s
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:38 PM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Very cool Ron! thats good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Richard you have achieved your goal! I run 11s 35c 5000 mah (Thunder Power)with my Stu Max and get 87 amps and 3600 watts... Mine flies with so much power at 3600 watts your just going to love it. Mine does 168 mph with unlimited vertical and 6:00 flights... I bet yours weighs less with out one cell also.. mine is 11.5 pounds... great job and hope you enjoy it

That's the most watts I've seen from a Stu Max on 10s...so I'd say the XPS cells are doing there job... Some guys are getting your numbers on 12s
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Yeah, the new 45C packs are quite amazing. We get 95 amps with Stu's fan with a 12S setup using our 30C batteries. So, if you are seeing 92 amps with only 10S, they are doing quite well!

I will have to check the Spark for placement. I know that our 4000mAh packs are virtually the same size and weight as our 5000mAh packs, and those do in fact fit above/below each other in the battery tray.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:30 AM
USA, TX, Canyon Lake
Joined Jul 2006
342 Posts
Jim
If you remember I questioned you about how you could fit a 162 mm long (6.3 inches) battery (the dimensions stated on your website) the normal way, because that looked like a problem to me.
Your web site shows the 5000 MAH batteries are not the same size, they are only 5.25 inches long. That is more than enough to account for the difference.

The 45c 5s batteries fit fine above the tray, maybe you could fit one above and one below, by putting them in at an angle, but the way I did it seems to be the best. I don't think you would fit 6s packs or an 11s setup.

BTW, I have several pairs of 6S 4500 MAH batteries that give me 105+ amps at 12s with Stu's fan that are supposed to be only 25C, but I have used them a lot in two other planes and have always felt the were very strong and maybe underrated. At 105 amps, I the ESC (CC110 got too hot), and the fan seemed to have a little vibration, and I felt I was pushing the system a little too much.

With that said, I am very pleased with the choice, the XPS batteries didn't even feel warm when half way exhausted and I think I will have no problem breaking free of the ground on my grass field.

RE
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,159 Posts
That's strange, my XPS 5000mah black pack is 6.3 inches long. I'm using that pack to make sure a couple 5S 4000mah Platinum packs will fit in my El Bandito.

The 4000mah Platinum pack is 6.3 inches long, right? How wide?
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:22 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
The Platinum series and Pro series are the exact same size. I will have to look into our mesaurements.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:23 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
There is a ton of room!

I just checked our 5S 5000mAh packs iin my Spark.

There is more than enough room to have them over/under each other. In fact, 6S5000mAh packs fit (but my cockpit kit would have to be removed or modified).
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,764 Posts
Looking at these pictures makes me realize that I could move that rear bulkhead back about 1", which would allow the packs to come backwards 1". This would help CG when running more cells.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:41 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,416 Posts
Only the upper half as that bulkhead is at the leading of the wing where the wing pins engage!