HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Now thats great to hear Techspy!!

be sure to contact the AMA to.. I know they have help for start up sites

one of the clubs I fly at has a surface called petro mat: http://www.industrialfabricsinc.com/petromat.php
I'll ask the president where he gets a good deal on the petro mat if you would like?

I know it comes in large rolls for about $700... they just graded the land..rolled it ... they had a club work party to lay down the mat.. it's held down by large flat top spikes with washers... the surface is pretty easy on wing tips and wheels
There are a few down sides to any fabrics.. like they wear out after a few years (maybe 5) if you hit the spikes there bumpy... water can puddle and make low spots

if you can do asphalt go for that....
what pride it will bring you if you can start up your own club..it will take a lot of foot work.. don't give up

best of luck
Ron
Ron101 is online now Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:00 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
795 Posts
Hi Techspy
sorry to hear about the your Spark.
I know how it feels.I had a very expensive full house F3A model go in on its first flight.
Gutted I was.I find the best thing to do in these situtations is just take every thing that is good out of the model, get out the black bag, dump it and forget it.Then onto the next project.
One thing to remember about model planes "ITS Not if the plane will crash, its rather when will the plane crash"
Thanks for all the posts on the Spark it has certainly helped me get mine together.
Cheers
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
RVincent,

Bob, (RVincent)

I live in Anaheim, office is in Orange. Right down the road is BlackStar with a pertromat. Lots of wind in the afternoon and the field comes with field marshals, regulations, and high membership fees.

In Corona there are three fields. One at Prado...nobody smiles but the runway is nice. One in Corona, dirt, everybody smiles, but the planes loose lots of landing gears. Then, there is Circlecity Flyers in Corona, 500ft paved, nice guys, lots of smiles and wide open flying. If you can land in 500 ft, you found a home. For an imformal guy like myself this is the place. I am dreaming about Tam's A-4 because I know it can land and takeoff in 500ft or less. And yes, you can fly your helis there and we all get along just fine. I am known as Electric Al, soon to be called Firebug Al.

www.Circlecityflyers.com

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
26,923 Posts
Yep all too aware of Prado. Corona is Ok but rough, Don't think I've been to Circle city? I'll have to check it out My Tam A-4 should like it there
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,200 Posts
If you check the pictures for August 16, you will see my Spitfire, the plane, when re-charged, burned the house down.

I am known as Electic Al, now, it probably will be Firebug Al. Nobody knows about the lipo fire yet, but this weekend I will thell them when I fly my Starfire again.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,140 Posts
Quote:
I am dreaming about Tam's A-4 because I know it can land and takeoff in 500ft or less
Guys I've been flying my A-4 off a 400ft runway no problem... the plane has such great wheels and brakes it really helps. I have a harder time stopping my spark in that distance... the MPI wheels keep wearing out

I did about 20 flights on a 1000 ft. runway first.. then went to a 600 ft. and now the 400ft.. which is only 15 minute from my house
Al when you first try it make sure you have a good head wind to help get used to it.... I did it last week when it was dead clam with full flaps and still made it but used up every inch

sorry to get the spark thread so off track

Ron
Ron101 is online now Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:25 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
How are you guys running the 2 elevator servo's in the spark? One channel for each? or use Y connector?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick
How are you guys running the 2 elevator servo's in the spark? One channel for each? or use Y connector?
One of the servo need to be reverse.
I use Hitec 5125 in the stabs.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:55 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
One of the servo need to be reverse.
I use Hitec 5125 in the stabs.
I was planning on the the new hitec 5085 digitals. Is there any danger in "Y"ing the 2 servo's on one channel. I was told that I may need to worry about two servo's sharing the signal with the FASST recievers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
I was planning on the the new hitec 5085 digitals. Is there any danger in "Y"ing the 2 servo's on one channel. I was told that I may need to worry about two servo's sharing the signal with the FASST recievers.
I'm a JR guy. Many years using this servo not a single issue.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
7,936 Posts
Quote:
You're always better splitting the channels if you have open channels, it's easier to setup the sub trim and in the event something is out (even a tiny, tiny bit on a jet can show in flight), you can change the travel percentage to adjust for pull to one side in a strong pull or push.

My Electra was built perfectly (or so I thought) until an expert put his hands on it, he found 5% less up travel on one side was required to get rid of the slight pull tendency to one side, he was right. It was easy to do with split surfaces mated via the TX...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,627 Posts
Thetick:
I was told that I may need to worry about two servo's sharing the signal with the FASST recievers.

What? Never heard such.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,188 Posts
Yeah I am, er was using 2 on a Y for the elevator. I use the Hyperion servos and can program them so I just program one reversed and it worked out fine.

Well, Tam hooked me up and I have the green contender on order.

Thanks Tam!

Now all I have to do is find a place to fly! My plan is to put out some ads for land to lease and contact the AMA for club charter forms/info.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
795 Posts
Great stuff
Back up and at them...
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965
Thetick:
I was told that I may need to worry about two servo's sharing the signal with the FASST recievers.

What? Never heard such.
anyone else here using FASST and Y'ing the elevator servo's?
RCG Plus Member