Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:55 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
The stumax will fit in it? how many cells did you run in it?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,776 Posts
The Stumax will fit but you will need to do some wood work.....but no big problem. I ran 10s XPS 5000mah packs and the plane cg balanced with everything far forward. I like the TJ-100 better as it seems more suited for the plane. As I said the Stumax is very fast in the plane. Stu questioned me putting the Stumax in the plane but I was not ready to lay out $1,000 for a Spark althought it is a very nice plane. Don't get me wrong a $150.00 Nitroplanes Starfire is not a Spark but you could buy 6 of the Starfire vs 1 Spark. The one BIG problem with the Starfire is it would be hard to install retracts as the wing is very thin.....Tam mini retracts may work. The Starfire is sold out but should be restocked this month(go to E-bay). One other less expensive plane would be the Tigerline L-39 http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...products_id=67

Hope this info keeps you flying.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Aug 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yeah I was thinking about trying the Starfire but don't like gear hanging out during the flight. Then I said, what the heck I will just get another Spark. Then I remembered why I didn't decide to do that already...because I don't have a descent place to fly. I would get the Spark ready to go and have to pack it up because the crosswind is gusting. Really sucks.

A little background...I learned to fly about 2 years ago, moved back home to NC and joined the only club nearby. Got into fast EDF's and bought bigger and faster planes. Bought a trailer and tricked it out and when I went to the field I flew 4-6 different planes every time, including heli's and some other stuff. We lost our land lease and a new location was leased by the club. The chosen ones decided to make it the "Joe Noll of North Carolina" their words, not mine. So to sum up, you must unload everything then park approx 100 yards away in the parking lot. The grass is too important to park on. (by the way, they are allowing a TRACTOR SHOW at the field in a couple of weeks!) No parking behind the spectator area which would be only a 30 foot walk. So those of us with trailers or trucks with all the gear park and setup in the parking lot and walk back and forth every time. Ok, that sucks but I deal with it. Then it becomes obvious that the field is not laid out correctly. Always a cross wind (on a bit of a hill so the wind is more of an issue even on non-windy days), and the approach is over houses. So I say I will just deal with it. Approx half the times I get the Spark ready to fly I end up aborting and putting it in the trailer because of the cross wind. One other guy a few weeks ago weather-vained every time he took off and almost hit people every time. After I crashed the Spark, one of the chosen ones crashed on approach, most likely for the same reason.

Anyway, there is really no good reason to get another Spark or any other larger plane that the Stumax will fit because I will be in the same boat, no decent place to fly. Really sucks as I just got a landing gear setup that will work ok on the grass runway. I have my trailer up for sale and will probably be staying with smaller stuff and heli's that I can fly at the local parks.

This whole situation really has soured me on the hobby. I wish I lived somewhere that had choices in regards to flying sites, but oh well. I guess I will go look at the park fliers on hobby lobby.

Sorry to rant off topic, just kinda bummed right now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by techspy; Aug 24, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:22 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
That sucks techspy...
But I can understand, walking back and fourth 100 yards every flight would get real old, and that cross wind. There is a ton of good park flyers out there that's for sure.. hobby lobby has some really cool stuff.. so you can still have a great time, spend less and not be stessed out
I don't blame you....
hope everything works out for you, you seem like a great guy and hope you check in on us here time to time and let us know what you working on..

I had a ALFA A-4 with the little jet screamer motor and a 5 blade rotor (sold it) but that thing was great..sounded good and was fast

what every you get have fun!!!
and stay with the hobby
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:27 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Thanks Ron, I was being a bit sarcastic about the park fliers but I will be looking as some of the smaller edf's that I can fly close by and hand launch. Maybe the HET F16 etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2009, 04:43 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Here are some additional pictures of the damage. All the gear seems to be ok but I still have to run everything up to test.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hillsboro, Oregon
Joined Jun 2006
85 Posts
Hey techspy, I'm very sorry to hear about your crash and your field situation. I hope you can work something out. Would proposing a club project to re-orient the runway do any good? It sounds like you're not the only one having major problems with that cross wind.

For smaller jets, I've had a lot of fun with my Airworld 90mm Cougar, and going even smaller the ALFA Mig-15. I'm especially an expert on the ALFA as I've owned several.

-Mike
gobeezer is offline Find More Posts by gobeezer
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Unfortunately no Mike, that is not an option. They have spent tens of thousands of dollars setting the field up this way, erecting buildings and laying out the location for the playground (yes a playground), so making a change now would not be possible. No we aren't a rich club, our dues went from $75 to $325 a year. At the last meeting a heated debate took place about the parking issue (the parking lot is in line with the pits at the end of the runway) and it was pointed out that most fields have the parking behind the flight stations for safety and convenience sake and one of the chosen ones actually started crying while he gave a speech about how much time and effort he put into the grass and making the field the "Joe Noll of North Carolina" and how much money they spent on the current parking area. So that will never happen, this club is a lost cause. I actually started a hunt for land to start a new club. Preliminary response was that we would easily get 40 members right off the bat. Unfortunately Charlotte is a booming area and finding any usable land for this is tough unless you go an hours drive out of the area.

I just tested the stumax and esc and they seem fine. Ran up with no issues. All the servos and retract gear are fine too. I want to order a new Spark so bad but it just makes me sick to think about being in the same situation with a new one.

Oh well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:02 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,227 Posts
Sorry for the loss, I know how it feels, I did the same thing.

I now drive 40 miles one way in heavy traffic to a comfortable field and bunch of down to earth guys. Well worth the gas and time.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:19 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,776 Posts
$325 a year dues? Holy ****! That is way too much money to fly @ a field. Not being able to park near your unloading area is also far out.

We have the same wind problem @ our field(we are not far from the Gulf as the crow flies and we get sea breezes) but but we have a "T" shaped field with north-south and east-west approaches and no housing. We were lucky to get an old land fill area which is owned by the country. In fact the county helps us in construction or we could not afford the cost. We have a gravel parking area behind the pits which gives us plenty of room to park. Sounds like the N.C. bunch are trying to make a golf course instead of a flying area. We have over two hundred members in our club and I can say we have those who want to have things their way too......you got to fight and make your $325 voice heard. With that much money to belong to a club it seems the cost would run prospective members away...especially young people.

techspy you might need to make friends with a local farmer about using his pasture to fly.....you still will need to dodge (cow) s**t but it will not cost $325 to put up with.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:53 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,677 Posts
For $325 there better be an open bar!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,242 Posts
What field is that Al?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Quote:
For $325 there better be an open bar!
nice Jim....
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:17 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Thanks Al. Yeah it is steep but that tells you how little options we have here. We went from about 100 members to about 40 when they upped the dues. It is supposed to go down to $200 next year. There is a county field on an old landfill and they have a paved runway but it is waaaay too small and there is no adjacent grass strip to use.

Well, I have decided to give it another go. I emailed Tam to see what Sparks he has in stock, and I am going to really hit it hard trying to find a place to start a field. I am going to take out some ads and maybe try to find a corporate sponsor. I probably won't even fly the new one at my current field. I am willing to spend a couple thousand of my own money to get something going. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys.

Also, what would you guys say would be the best runway surface? Asphalt, grass or artificial? I am thinking something like astroturf would be pretty good as it isn't quite as abrasive as asphalt and doesn't permanently effect the leased land.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,776 Posts
Spy go to the county you live in. Most counties have rec. monies set aside for Golf courses, swimming pools ect ect. The money comes from your taxes. If you already have a landfill with a landing strip then you may have the land already. If not check with your county rec officer(or such) and ask what is available in your area. Our club had a contract for the past ten years with our county and we just now signed for another 10 years. The country paved our site because they have the equipment which they pave county roads with. Many times there is asphalt left over from a job. We have a controlline circle which was left over asphalt. There are plans for two rc race tracks for cars which I understand are in the works. Get some guys together who think as you do and start another club.....then go to your country and ask for help.

The best thing you can do right now is start another club. Since the other club have lost so many members then you can go after them. Good luck and if you do have a county which will help be sure you enter into a contract with them to keep the county from taking the land for something else.