to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 10:24 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
I hear ya Jim.. I only feild charge at 2c... thunder power is saying it's fine up to 3c... Charles in the battery fourms has done a lot of testing and he see's very little differance in life span with a 2c charge... but this stuff has been beaten to death... I've been charging at two 2c at the field for two years and my old packs are holding up fine

I also have two sets of new packs for every plane I own.... and my old packs still aren't that bad ... everyone has to do what make them comfortable

I'm sure I'll buy more new packs next year...so to me I want to wear them out before they get old

Later
Ron
The don't get old. There is a difference in lifespan due to charge rate. In fact, it makes as much of a difference as the discharge rate. We have customers now with more than 500 cycles on our batteries (balanced charged at 1C or less) and they still have better than 85% of their original capacity (which is underrated to begin with). Lipoly is Lipoly, no matter who makes it. Battery companies are going to tell you whatever is going to get you to spend money the fastest. Since we have a whopping 4% markup on our batteries, we have very little to gain by selling you packs sooner.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:07 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
Like I said Jim...in the battery fourms it's been beaten like a dead horse
I've seen the testing results and I'm good with 2c.. too each there own
If my pack last 200 flights I'm happy... and so far at 2c they are having no problem reaching that... at 2c the losses with be minimal maybe 5% and it take my charge time from 50 minutes to 25 or 30... and I only do this a few times at the field...at home it's 1c

here's some research : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rge+cycle+life

heres 600 cycles at 4c with a 13% loss: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rge+cycle+life

There a bunch of threads on this subject... a real good one done by thunderpower (I couldn't find at the moment) so with the research out and my own results... I'm not worried one bit...

Also like I said I have two flight packs for each plane...
I bring three planes to the feild every weekend.So for me to put 100 flight on one set I need to fly that plane 200 flights... two reach 200 flight on a pack it needs 400 flights! I'd have too get over 1500 flights in a year just to put 200 flights on the packs I have (and that's just the new packs.. I still fly my old packs) I average 20 flights a week... if I could do that year round that's 960 flights... but there's rain, family stuff...it would never happen

shoot I better step up to 3c

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
53 Posts
To each their own. For Pattern and for EDF I do all my charging at the field. I have 4 packs. I charge at .9c on one charger and .7c on the other (because thats all it can do at 10s.) I charge in series as 10s always with a balancer. I have a TP 1010c and a TME Xtrema. Both are good chargers.

I have a small 1000w Honda generator, 2 20 Amp power supplies and the 2 chargers... with 4 packs I can fly all day with a few breaks here and there (hey other people have to fly too.) At the end of the day I can pack up while the last 2 packs charge and shoot the breeze with everyone. I go home with my packs all charged and ready to go for next time... if I'm rushed I just charge the last 2 packs when I get to the field next time.

I don't like charging at home because I always have to do other stuff and I don't like leaving these packs unattended (even if they are in a LiPo sack inside a clay pot on a steel tray int he middle of a concrete floor...)

My batteries last a long time as long as I store them properly (partially charged in the fridge.) I have to store packs for 5 or 6 months each year due to the climate here.

For competition in Pattern 150 cycles is very good - they get too tired after that even charging at 1c. They still work but after 150 cycles they become practice packs. I don't know about the EDF ones yet - but they are coming down very cool and I am not pushing them at all on capacity so I expect them to last a lot longer than the Pattern ones.

Funny enough the 4s setup in my sons trainer airplane works the batteries MUCH harder than my bigger planes and the batteries get sad after maybe 50 cycles. They still work but they go down hill fast after that... I guess I need more C's or less prop on that plane LOL.
crhammond is offline Find More Posts by crhammond
Old Aug 07, 2009, 06:49 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Tam your a machine... the Taminator

Ron

I be back.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:47 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Spark gear doors demo video and show how it done.

One of the customer asking me how I did my gear door to the Swiss Spark.
Here all the photos I took and video clip.
Spark gear doors demo video (2 min 5 sec)
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:07 AM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,006 Posts
Very nice Tam. If I weren't flying from a grass strip i would definetly have a go at that.
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
You just had to one up me didn't you...lol
that's awsome Tam... really works nice

Later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:52 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,002 Posts
Nice video too. The single servo brake and gear operation is one of the more creative inventions over the years
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:51 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Nice! Question, is there any advantage of having the wheel facing inwards or outwards?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2005
53 Posts
My new Tam trailing-link gear got here. WOW. This is a work of art. Very, very light... the entire set weighs about the same as one of my Robostrut setups!

I will be doing gear doors also. I am going to use mini-servos for my doors. I don't have extra mini cylinders kicking around and I think 2 mini servos will weigh a lot less than a UP2 with lines/cylinders etc. I will be leaving an opening in the front for the wheel so that a good amount of air comes in to help keep the batteries cool but I will do a door like Tam's.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:33 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
Hey guys,

I do not want to annoy Spark owners, but at the Effeln edf meeting organised by Shuebeler, I flew along with this gent:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=17

I love my 16/15/3
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
I love my 3yrs old 6S A123 too...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,974 Posts
And my glider
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2005
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Nice! Question, is there any advantage of having the wheel facing inwards or outwards?
If you want to have brakes and doors you need to face them in. This is because the brakes space out the wheel and when facing out the wheels will be above the belly. Without brakes the wheel sits just under the belly but it might still be tight for doors.

The new Tam struts with brakes and wheels facing out put the wheels just above the belly skin... almost makes me not want the hasstle of doors - but I am determined after seeing Tam's video

If you face the wheels in you have to cut away some clearance holes (you can see them in Tam's pictures.) I am going to re-enforce around these holes with some CF tow... the wing is built heavy in this area and my guess is it carries loads at high speeds when you pull G's... otherwise they could have used a lot less resin and cloth here.