San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Hey Tam,
What size wheels are those in that pic?
2" nose and 2.5" main.
The nose struts fit up to 2.5" and the main can fit any size wheels.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Aug 06, 2009, 06:22 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
817 Posts
hi Guys
Slightly off the the main topic of this thread but relating to the power plant for the Spark.I have settled on a 4x4x3 arrangement for the lipos.Is seems that some of you put the 3s on top of the fan /ducting for balance.(thanks RON/Stu) Could someone post a picture of this arrangement for me to follow ?
Also could you show me the wiring for the batteries?
On a different note. What charging arrangements do you have for charging at home and at the field as the is quite a bit of power consumption here.ie I have a duo 50 and a Ultimat 30 for the field.is this enough?
I also see the use of 6mm conectors.what size soldering iron are you guys using.
As I said Slightly off track.Appreciate the help from here.
cheers
Steve

Las
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Aug 06, 2009, 06:52 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
I have this 25 amp switching power supply;

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-8115-/72-8115

I can run my Duo3 charging at 5amps each channel at the same time as 2 iChargers charging at 5amps each with no problems.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:51 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,799 Posts
I use the Mastech 5020E power supply for lipos and A-123 packs. I charge A-123s directly off the power supply @ 20 Amps. For the lipos At home I plug the Cellpro 10S into the Mastech. In the field I use the Cellpro for lipos and charge off my truck dual batteries. If I am flying A-123s then I use the Mastech off an inverter(110 volts)in my truck. The Mastech is a good piece of equipment and you should do a search for the best prices.

http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/va...w/prod_20.html

Tanic also has some good power supplies.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:02 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,229 Posts
Max,

I have 3 different A123 chargers and they all have the same problem, the darn things won't charge a run down A123 that has low voltage. Thus, I don't use A123 batteries anymore.

How the heck do you charge A123 batteries of all sizes, ya know the pack that powers the plane, and the pack that is setup to power the receiver and servos.

What settings do you use on your power supply? Also, how do you guys trick those automatic chargers to get them to work.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:23 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,799 Posts
No big deal on charging A-123s using the Mastech. I set the the amount of voltage the pack requires.....for example my 6s2p pack is fully charged @ 21.9 volts. I usually set the right dial(voltage) to 22 volts and the amp dial to 10 or 20 amps. Plug the sucker in and less than ten minutes and I am flying again.

You don't need to trick the Mastech as it is simply a power charger(labatory).......If you have a cell in a pack which is lower than the rest you need to hook up a balancer.....I use the Astro Blinky. I make sure all my A-123 packs have a balance connector and either deans or 6mm connectors. If I use A-123s(1100Mah) for onboard I simply plug them into the Mastech and set it for at least 6 volts and charge rate to 10 amps. I have never had a A-123 cell become unbalanced. As I stated I have the same 6s2p A-123 pack I bought 3 years ago in my Sukohi. The only problem in using A-123s for your main motor suppy is finding the right plane which will handle the extra weight.

The 2300Mah A-123 can be charged @ 20 amps...the 1100Mah A-123s can be charged @ 10 amps.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:41 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Hey SteveAir2,

Here's a picture of mine with the xcite packs in place.. the 4s are stacked so there 8s up front... I slip a piece of velcro with out the backing pulled off around the 3s to protect it from the fiberglass sides... I have about 18 flights on this setup and everything is working great..
My set of Thunder Power 30c 11s fit exactly the same as the xcites and the CG doesn't change..

I got the plug with four deans from Tam.. it also has a Cap built in... then you just make up your leads and your good to go..Tam also sells the castle noodle wire (one stop shop!)

At the field I use two thunderpower chargers and one cellpro 10s hooked to two 125ah deep cycle marine batteries (in parallel) at 2c all three packs are done in 30 minutes... with this setup I can charge all day

at home I hook the chargers to my Iota 50 amp supply and charge at 1c

hope that helps
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:47 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,799 Posts
Neat wiring Ron.
Are you using BVM canopy hooks? I just purchased the hooks and intend to use them on my next plane.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:36 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Neat wiring Ron.
Are you using BVM canopy hooks? I just purchased the hooks and intend to use them on my next plane.

Thanks Max,
No this is not the BVM canopy hook.. this is just the stock setup from Comp ARF... just two guides on the sides and a rod that slides in from the front... it's a pretty slick setup.... Comp ARF has really done a nice job on this model. I wish they would so more EDF's, maybe a few scale subjects

Ron
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:31 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
817 Posts
Thanks for the posts and the pictures (Ron).Is that like a cross joiner on the wires over the Ducting.
going on Holidays for a week so will check in soon.
Cheers and thanks again.
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:49 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Is that like a cross joiner on the wires over the Ducting.

Here's a link to the plug from Tam : http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=446

it's working well... and helps protect the ESC

later
Ron
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:17 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,702 Posts
Hey Ron, as a manufacturer of Lipos I can tell you that a 2C charge is going to shorten the lifespan of the packs. You can charge our packs at 2C, but we do not recommend it if you are expecting 500+ cycles. Testing has shown the absolute best longterm charge rating for Lipo structures is .7C (point 7). Anything lower does not help, and anything higher reduces the lifespan. Just thought you should know.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:33 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,189 Posts
Quote:
Hey Ron, as a manufacturer of Lipos I can tell you that a 2C charge is going to shorten the lifespan of the packs
I hear ya Jim.. I only feild charge at 2c... thunder power is saying it's fine up to 3c... Charles in the battery fourms has done a lot of testing and he see's very little differance in life span with a 2c charge... but this stuff has been beaten to death... I've been charging at two 2c at the field for two years and my old packs are holding up fine

I also have two sets of new packs for every plane I own.... and my old packs still aren't that bad ... everyone has to do what make them comfortable

I'm sure I'll buy more new packs next year...so to me I want to wear them out before they get old

Later
Ron
Old Aug 07, 2009, 03:12 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
I hear ya Jim.. I only feild charge at 2c... thunder power is saying it's fine up to 3c... Charles in the battery fourms has done a lot of testing and he see's very little differance in life span with a 2c charge... but this stuff has been beaten to death... I've been charging at two 2c at the field for two years and my old packs are holding up fine

I also have two sets of new packs for every plane I own.... and my old packs still aren't that bad ... everyone has to do what make them comfortable

I'm sure I'll buy more new packs next year...so to me I want to wear them out before they get old

Later
Ron

I wish to do 3C..... 6 set of charger going is not charge fast enough for me flying.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets