HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,028 Posts
A few weeks back mine did the same but it was in very windy conditions, and luckily only suffered a sheared pin.
Try a half brake landing, thats how I was landing mine when on tarmac.
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,631 Posts
a few things from the manual....

Speed brake
The speedbrake should open at least 80 degrees, and 90 degrees is possible. We set it on a
slider on the Transmitter for easy adjustment - depending on the wind conditions.
You can also open the speedbrake about 20 degrees during take-off, which helps the plane to
rotate at slower speeds.

Takeoffs and landings are easy, the plane tracks perfectly on the ground and slows down nicely
with the speedbrake. For slower take-off and landing speeds the ailerons can be lowered 5-8 mm
at the root. This increases the lift of the wing and slows the plane down, without making it critical.
Also a 20% extended speed brake helps to rotate the plane during take-off at slower speeds.
With the speedbrake fully deployed, the plane still needs to be brought in with a quite high angle
of attack to slow it down for small flying fields. So, don't worry about slowing the plane down and
getting the nose up in the last turn, even before the final approach.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:45 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,230 Posts
I have everything back together now. I am just finishing the epoxy for the front bulkhead. I made a pin out of an old wire strut. I think it is hardened...should work. My plan is to get it back in the air tomorrow morning. I am planning on modifying the Tam brakes and getting them on tonight. I think I will try the 20% airbrake with the aileron droop and see how that works out. Should give me more lift at slower speed. I may set the wheel brakes to come on and 100% air brake at the same time for right after touchdown. I think I just need more time on the sticks with it. I have about 10 flights on it and although was too hot on some of the landings and ran off the end of the runway, I always got it down without broken parts. The soybeans are getting big though....running off the end now will be messy!

Thanks for all the tips guys..I will post more on my next flight.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:46 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,230 Posts
Update: The modification on the Tam brakes didn't work. One went ok but using a hacksaw is too clumsy so it didn't cut straight on the 2nd one. Anyway, I thought I would share this find. I have a set ordered. They use a 25mm brake pad which is what the Tams use. The axle hole is way big but can be shimmed down. Not a bad price either.

http://www.airpowernet.com/twe3/prod...products_id=26

Also, I will be posting all the parts from my previous gear tests for sale later today. Take a look if interested. (tam restracts, springair mains etc)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:50 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Update: The modification on the Tam brakes didn't work. One went ok but using a hacksaw is too clumsy so it didn't cut straight on the 2nd one. Anyway, I thought I would share this find. I have a set ordered. They use a 25mm brake pad which is what the Tams use. The axle hole is way big but can be shimmed down. Not a bad price either.

http://www.airpowernet.com/twe3/prod...products_id=26

Also, I will be posting all the parts from my previous gear tests for sale later today. Take a look if interested. (tam restracts, springair mains etc)

John,
I do have 7/16" opening to fit most the struts out there. That what I offer with my trailing struts.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:03 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,230 Posts
Thanks Tam but the issue is how the back of the brake is made. It has to be flat like the ones pictured in that link. Either completely flat or with tabs that will go on either side of the strut. It won't work with the place for a wire strut to attach. Do you have brakes with a flat back?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2009, 02:30 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Thanks Tam but the issue is how the back of the brake is made. It has to be flat like the ones pictured in that link. Either completely flat or with tabs that will go on either side of the strut. It won't work with the place for a wire strut to attach. Do you have brakes with a flat back?

John,
Look the photos of my green spark and swiss with the brake I attach to the strut.
You see the 7/16" open catch the struts.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:29 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,376 Posts
HiTam,
How much are a full set of your struts? I'm going to use them on my Starfire I already have your brakes, and just recently purchased a set of your mini retracts from a guy at the Basin for s good price and trade
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:46 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
HiTam,
How much are a full set of your struts? I'm going to use them on my Starfire I already have your brakes, and just recently purchased a set of your mini retracts from a guy at the Basin for s good price and trade

Very cheap with alot of money.
I though you come by yesterday.

Introduction price $120 for set of main and nose. Price goes up once I got you guys hook.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,376 Posts
I had to work WAY later than planned. You'll see me really soon Just bundle up my A-4 stuff and keep it ready at a moments notice

I have some of the "cheap with alot of money" stuff too
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
I had to work WAY later than planned. You'll see me really soon Just bundle up my A-4 stuff and keep it ready at a moments notice

I have some of the "cheap with alot of money" stuff too
You get here. Take a look around in the shop drool over my toys while I'm get your stuff ready. I like to made everything fresh....
Old Aug 01, 2009, 04:57 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
Very cheap with alot of money.
I though you come by yesterday.

Introduction price $120 for set of main and nose. Price goes up once I got you guys hook.

Tam - Which struts are these for $120 ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Aug 01, 2009, 05:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murray
Tam - Which struts are these for $120 ?
Anything you want to use it for.
I'll custom cut and machine to fit the Electra if you want a set.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:47 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets
I'll custom cut and machine to fit the Electra if you want a set.
The Electra gear isn't known for breaking off like the Spark gear, shouldn't be an issue...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:11 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
The Electra gear isn't known for breaking off like the Spark gear, shouldn't be an issue...

Jack
I got few hundred flights with my Electra. If I'm don't know what I'm doing and whom else will. Remember my Electra does had trailing struts. BV even offer the trailing struts after saw my working so well.
I making the light weight trailing that will work well with the Electra. It even lighter than the stock BV wire.